Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Mook

New Peter Grant Book

On 8/4/2018 at 9:33 AM, SteveAJones said:

Yeah, the Chelsea Drug Store really existed. It was not far from Mick & Keith's homes on Cheyne Walk, or Edith Grove for that matter. Alas, it's been completely refurbished and is now just another McDonalds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Drugstore

Thanks for posting the wikipedia link, very interesting. I've always thought the Chelsea drugstore is a metaphor for a place to buy stronger stuff than Aspirin and Alka Seltzer...:unsure:

2 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

Thanks for posting the wikipedia link, very interesting. I've always thought the Chelsea drugstore is a metaphor for a place to buy stronger stuff than Aspirin and Alka Seltzer...:unsure:

Sure, it can be...though I would point out Mick also sings  he was standing in line with his friend, Mr. Jimmy who said one word back to him and that was "dead"!' Of course he is referring to James "Jimmy" Miller, the record producer at the time for The Rolling Stones, and his penchant for shouting "Dead!" at the end of a take. So the lyrics can be taken literally in the same way that some of The Beatles lyrics for Penny Lane can be taken literally in that much of what Paul is describing actually exited. As a by the way, it's Jimmy Miller on drums for You Can't Always Get What You Want, not Charlie Watts. B)

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2018 at 12:33 AM, SteveAJones said:

Yeah, the Chelsea Drug Store really existed. It was not far from Mick & Keith's homes on Cheyne Walk, or Edith Grove for that matter. Alas, it's been completely refurbished and is now just another McDonalds.

That's a damn shame. On my previous visits to London, I was primarily focused on general historic sites and Led Zeppelin and Beatle related sites. I did find Keef's old Redlands place one year.

Edited by Strider

On 8/4/2018 at 8:33 AM, SteveAJones said:

Yep things have really changed -and not for the better-in that part of London. When I’m feeling particularly nostalgic for the London of the late 1960s I dust down my copy of Blow Up to remind me how it must have been way back when...__

Just read a review of this in Planet Rock, and seriously looking forward to it, it looks like a corker. Mentions are made of a bloke on the Zeppelin scene in the late 70s who was an FBI informer (!), and other craziness. Plus the best bit is said to be "revelations of a plot to rob the Knebworth takings"!

This is one for pre order, no doubt.