Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Old Man

Best live version of The Rain Song

What do you all think?  BTW:  As far as I know, this is one that has never been asked before.

I still have to go with The Song Remains The Same version, which I believe was almost, if not entirely, from the performance on the 28th....

Actually I think this has been asked here before (I'm too lazy to chase down the link), but it never hurts to bump a good topic.  I agree with selecting the NY '73 versions, but I'd go with the 29th over the 28th, very nice heavy vibe.

#1 - Earl's Court 5/24...

Also, some really great ones from the 79-80 years with the synths instead of the mellotron--might start with the first Copenhagen show...

Posted (edited)

I really like the October 3rd  1972  version on japan .   Instrumentally there are better  versions but this one is my favorite simply because plant hits all  the high  notes  of the studio version .  I also really like. The one from  Seattle 73 when  jones as had to switch  to  piano  because the  melotron broke down   st Louis 75 is another one I really like .

Edited by Adam Ryan watson

18 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

#1 - Earl's Court 5/24...

Also, some really great ones from the 79-80 years with the synths instead of the mellotron--might start with the first Copenhagen show...

Really like the one from the 2nd knebworth show . Plant gives  what I think is his best  vocal for that song  post 73.  I really enjoy the 2nd knebworth show despite it being quite rough  instrumentally . Plant gives  a very strong vocal performance  from start to finish   I think it's one of his   best post 72

^^ I always wondered about that 2nd Knebworth, as far as whatever Jonesy was doing in the background. I don't know if Jimmy was playing too fast, but it's funny anyway...

The one done on Acoustic Guitar for Unledded in 1994!

The challenge here is with minor exceptions Jimmy and Bonzo are pretty much staying with a script, the usual improvisation

would not advance the song, Of course this is the mark of master musicians. On the other hand, Plant has more leeway, but

even his "ad-limbs" fit and add more depth to the song. And JPJ, with the keys, mellotron, and later synths, probably had the

most freedom with changing the arrangement....although just a bit. My fave is the TSRTS 7/28 one, although I've never heard

a bad version. Interesting that even the 80' Europe tour had damn good renditions of this song.

Bonzo throws in some of his best fills and drum work when this song kicks off in the rock section.  And I just can't ever get enough of his use of his tymp blasts in this song.  Love Seattle 73.  Bonzo's performance probably makes this one my favorite version.

And just listen to Providence!  Oh my.  I think that's my favorite version... for this hour, at least.  Just listen to Plant during Bonzo's big fill to start the rock section.  Holy fuck.  Spine tingling.

ha!  Phenomenal song.

The one from TSRTS is probably my favorite overall. All the elements work perfectly. If it has to be a single performance, the one from Seattle 73 is indeed great. Certainly the most unique version.

On 8/13/2018 at 1:14 PM, Mattius said:

The one done on Acoustic Guitar for Unledded in 1994!

I'm with you.

On 8/15/2018 at 9:24 AM, LedElvis75 said:

And just listen to Providence!  Oh my.  I think that's my favorite version... for this hour, at least.  Just listen to Plant during Bonzo's big fill to start the rock section.  Holy fuck.  Spine tingling.

ha!  Phenomenal song.

Agreed! This whole gig is great. But it just makes me think "Where are the fucking soundboards for these shows just prior to MSG?" You know they have to exist. Boston, Baltimore, Pittsburg...c'mon, what the hell man...who's hoarding these?