This just might be the most exciting moment of any Live Zep show ever

LedElvis75

That is a great moment indeed ! 

I have thought that the opening of 6/21/77 is the most exciting moment captured on tape given the sound quality, the incredible anticipation in the crowd, the overwhelming audience response and the supercharged fired-up frenzied performance of that first opening.  

1 hour ago, John M said:

I have thought that the opening of 6/21/77 is the most exciting moment captured on tape given the sound quality, the incredible anticipation in the crowd, the overwhelming audience response and the supercharged fired-up frenzied performance of that first opening.  

You're probably right...  I was listening to that Seattle show this morning and just got all caught up in the excitement of the moment... when Jones hits those Louie Louie notes and the crowd just erupts.  Just a GREAT moment captured forever on bootleg (THANK GOD!).  God, to have seen these badass MFers live... 

7 hours ago, LedElvis75 said:

When Jones kicks in with the start of Louie Louie the crowd just EXPLODES.  To have been there must've been pure magic.

I’ve been into live Zep since a Sophomore in HS back in about 1984....I love so many moments of their shows but I’m going to have to agree with the entire JPJ Orgsn medley here.   It really doesn’t get better.    A half hour of pure live excitement and a moment not repeated quite like it ever again 

8 hours ago, bluecongo said:

What would you say is most exciting moment ?  Flashpot exploding in Jimmys face Tempe 77 ? 

I'm undecided but it wouldn't be anything from Tempe '77. I quite like the announcer exclaiming on the public address system "The American Return of Led Zeppelin" prior to the 1975 shows, Long Beach in particular. I find that very exciting. Even so, it seems it must be an onstage moment, so I'll go with the closing notes of Achilles Last Stand at Knebworth on August 4th 1979 which suggested, if only for a moment, they could continue as they were. It gives me chills to this day. (from 8:42 - 9:04  below)

The whole song is a superb return to form! I always imagine any doubts and all of the faces of the audience being gradually melted away.

Well, I see all the examples pretty well. For me , though, the 5/22 version of ALS, has quite a few totally sublime or blistering

moments. Now, I am talking about close to the original recordings, not the cleaned up versions which although they aren't

close to clipping and have better "EQ", just don't convey the original onslaught. This version has first of all probably the closest

to thrash metal drumming Bonzo has ever done, and Page as well detours into many whiplash rhythm slams, and Jimmy's solo

is just total frenzy and a totally schizophrenic mix of precise speed and sticky fingers. Again, you won't hear this from recent(even from a while ago)cleaned up versions. No other version of ALS is anything like this, there are many totally

way over the top "Ancient battlefield" moments, although some may regard the version as too far from "proper".

11 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I'm undecided but it wouldn't be anything from Tempe '77. I quite like the announcer exclaiming on the public address system "The American Return of Led Zeppelin" prior to the 1975 shows, Long Beach in particular. I find that very exciting. Even so, it seems it must be an onstage moment, so I'll go with the closing notes of Achilles Last Stand at Knebworth on August 4th 1979 which suggested, if only for a moment, they could continue as they were. It gives me chills to this day. (from 8:42 - 9:04  below)

The whole song is a superb return to form! I always imagine any doubts and all of the faces of the audience being gradually melted away.

My favourite public address moment has always been the introduction of the 9/19/70 evening show:

"...as you know by now, the heaviest of heavies, they've become the most popular group in the business...THEY'RE HERE, LED ZEPPELIN!!!"

Honourable mention to the 'outroduction' of 8/31/71 Orlando:

"...uhh...William Combis, your wallet's up here"

This is my all time favorite Zeppelin show and it's partly because of moments like this. It really does seem like everyone (the band, the audience) was having the time of their life that night and never wanted it to end. If a soundboard for this show ever came out, it would be like Christmas came. What an incredible show! If only I had a time machine!

Yeah, every show had some points where there was some sort of massive geometric explosion of energy,  if even for a few

seconds, not infrequently brought on by one member's slight or radical departure from a "set" part. As mentioned even the

final 07' show, and those public announcements, "The American Return of Led Zeppelin"(75'), Ha Ha, made it seem that the

band's imminent return to live work was crucial to retaining the cosmic order. Which it was.....how so much energy could be

created by 4 mega talented musicians is still something magical.

3 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

Yep! Even the 02 reunion was chalk full of them. They sure knew how to bring it...this intro still gives me chills.

Honorable mention to Jimmy Page from 1:30 to 1:50. Those twenty seconds established almost immediately he was cocked, locked and ready to rock.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:44 PM, Strider said:

Frankly, every Led Zeppelin show had moments like this.

That is true.  It's just that the people screaming around the mic are picked up so well it just adds to the overall excitement/listening experience.  Same goes for the guy going nutso at the start of D&C.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:44 PM, Sticks of Fire said:

I’ve been into live Zep since a Sophomore in HS back in about 1984....I love so many moments of their shows but I’m going to have to agree with the entire JPJ Orgsn medley here.   It really doesn’t get better.    A half hour of pure live excitement and a moment not repeated quite like it ever again 

Exactly!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2018 at 10:44 AM, John M said:

The 1977 opening with TSRTS was the most exciting opening number that the band used on a regular basis.

I remember everyone in the Houston Summit standing for the beginning of the show, particularly everyone on the floor standing....on their chairs...

That was quite a "forest of trees" for me to run through, to get to the center front of the arena, 4 rows back from the stage...

The intensity of TSRTS, coming off the stage monitors,  was like something I had never experienced before.

Archived