The Song Remains the Same (2018) "All Access" Radio Special

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

On September 7, Swan Song/Atlantic Records will release LED ZEPPELIN's historic concert film and soundtrack recorded on July 27, 28 and 29, 1973 at New York City's Madison Square Garden, "The Song Remains The Same". The super-deluxe version is the first time that both the expanded soundtrack and film are available in the same package. It also recreates the intricate embossing of the set's original issue.

In celebration, a one-hour nationally syndicated radio show featuring interviews with Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham, taking you behind the scenes of those monumental concerts and the new release, can be heard below.

LED ZEPPELIN was at the peak of its powers on July 27-29 1973 when the band's performances at New York's Madison Square Garden were recorded for the concert film "The Song Remains The Same". The soundtrack to the film, produced by Jimmy Page, was originally released on Swan Song in 1976.

Right away, we hear the "preview" of Celebration Day is the inferior version. Of course it was clear that there would be nothing new about this other than putting Dazed on one side , and some EQ changes, but it's really disappointing how there's no revised audio release as a companion to the film soundtrack. Jimmy talks about how it's really interesting to hear how the set was paced, and even that's not possible with the inclusion if The Ocean in the middle. There is really nothing interesting about  release. I hope for the BluRay disc they at least put all the songs in correct running order. Anyone heard No Quarter or SiBLY yet? I'm 99.9% sure they're still the same fucked up edit versions. 

3 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Right away, we hear the "preview" of Celebration Day is the inferior version. Of course it was clear that there would be nothing new about this other than putting Dazed on one side , and some EQ changes, but it's really disappointing how there's no revised audio release as a companion to the film soundtrack. Jimmy talks about how it's really interesting to hear how the set was paced, and even that's not possible with the inclusion if The Ocean in the middle. There is really nothing interesting about  release. I hope for the BluRay disc they at least put all the songs in correct running order. Anyone heard No Quarter or SiBLY yet? I'm 99.9% sure they're still the same fucked up edit versions. 

"Interesting to hear how the set was paced" sounds like even Page was struggling to find any reason why we ought to invest in this release.

10 hours ago, 76229 said:

"Interesting to hear how the set was paced" sounds like even Page was struggling to find any reason why we ought to invest in this release.

LOL....exactly. What a yawn fest. Even though I don't listen to music on BluRay, I would almost consider setting up my system so I could listen through my good amp and speakers if this release has killer EQ and the songs all run in absolute correct sequence. Does anyone out there know if this is the case ?? I haven't seen the track listing for the BluRay. Also, I assume nothing has been changed musically speaking from the 2007 release ? 

In addition to what is noted above it still has that awful cut in WLL - leaving out most of the funk section before the theramin part.   

I love Jones' comment about them all wanting to be close to the drums on stage because that was the "engine room".  For me, the sound is so much better that the 2 CD set is worth the $20, so I am really glad I preordered it.  I paid a bit more to get it through this site,  but that way Jeff Bezos does not get his cut of a reduced price. 

The  biggest improvement in sound to my ears is the bass and drums, and they are both so important to the music.  Also, the separation of the instruments is clearer and to me that is a real plus.  

Sam - thanks for posting this.  Looking forward to getting my CDs.

14 hours ago, John M said:

In addition to what is noted above it still has that awful cut in WLL - leaving out most of the funk section before the theramin part.   

I love Jones' comment about them all wanting to be close to the drums on stage because that was the "engine room".  For me, the sound is so much better that the 2 CD set is worth the $20, so I am really glad I preordered it.  I paid a bit more to get it through this site,  but that way Jeff Bezos does not get his cut of a reduced price. 

The  biggest improvement in sound to my ears is the bass and drums, and they are both so important to the music.  Also, the separation of the instruments is clearer and to me that is a real plus.  

Sam - thanks for posting this.  Looking forward to getting my CDs.

They should just release individual versions that feature: drums, or bass, or vocals, or guitar prominately in the mix. I know how it sounded live. It was very loud, and with that, the guitar and vocals rode over the top of the drums and bass.

7 hours ago, The Rover said:

They should just release individual versions that feature: drums, or bass, or vocals, or guitar prominately in the mix. I know how it sounded live. It was very loud, and with that, the guitar and vocals rode over the top of the drums and bass.

I wish they’d just release computer flash drive sticks and / or computer CD master mix “ALL ACCESS” versions of each studio album & live albums from the catalog, so we can make our own / play with the mixes (mute/ isolate individual tracks, change levels, play along with tracks for those of us who are musicians, etc ). Each release could have a separate commentary from JP, JPJ etc talking about tracks, arrangements, studio tricks (distant mics / placement)/ vocal, gtr, drum, key effects used (pre-echo, reverb, echo, gates, flange, compression, etc) , people who played on sessions  (like the Indian musicians on tracks like “Friends”, etc. 

R😎

14 hours ago, reids said:

I wish they’d just release computer flash drive sticks and / or computer CD master mix “ALL ACCESS” versions of each studio album & live albums from the catalog, so we can make our own / play with the mixes (mute/ isolate individual tracks, change levels, play along with tracks for those of us who are musicians, etc ). Each release could have a separate commentary from JP, JPJ etc talking about tracks, arrangements, studio tricks (distant mics / placement)/ vocal, gtr, drum, key effects used (pre-echo, reverb, echo, gates, flange, compression, etc) , people who played on sessions  (like the Indian musicians on tracks like “Friends”, etc. 

R😎

Yes, of course that's what millions of serious fans worldwide would want. Let "us" be the "Master of the Music." :banana:

18 hours ago, The Rover said:

Yes, of course that's what millions of serious fans worldwide would want. Let "us" be the "Master of the Music." :banana:

Then it would truly be “The Ultimate  Led Zeppelin Experience”. 

R😎🎸👍

Archived