Re-sequence: PRESENCE

dpat

Yes, the band knew the proper sequence for this album.  But what if you had control as to the sequence of Presence's songs? 
Here's my take:

SIDE ONE:

1. Nobody's Fault But Mine (seems to be a crowd pleaser)
  2. For Your Life (builds on the drug-dependence theme of the opener)
  3. Achilles Last Stand (better here that highlights the majesty of Led Zeppelin than at the Album's beginning slot which was Way Too Much, Too Soon)

SIDE TWO:

1. Candy Store Rock (lightens up the intensity of Side One)
  2. Tea For One (highlights the blues history of the band, rather than a toss-off as a skipped-over last track)
  3. Royal Orleans (the prerequisite Zep "funny song")
  4. 10 Ribs & All/Carrot Pod Pod (Pod) EDITED DOWN TO APPROX. 3-and-one-half-minutes (just a relaxer)
  5. Hots On For Nowhere (highlights the lyrics better. Snowman melted away referring discovering yer coke's all gone; And if you ask my advice, take it slower, let your story be your finest reward is just nice advice for life.  And a hard stop to the song is a nice close for a hard album by The Four Lads)

All the best to you...

16 hours ago, dpat said:

Yes, the band knew the proper sequence for this album.  But what if you had control as to the sequence of Presence's songs? 
Here's my take:

SIDE ONE:

1. Nobody's Fault But Mine (seems to be a crowd pleaser)
  2. For Your Life (builds on the drug-dependence theme of the opener)
  3. Achilles Last Stand (better here that highlights the majesty of Led Zeppelin than at the Album's beginning slot which was Way Too Much, Too Soon)

SIDE TWO:

1. Candy Store Rock (lightens up the intensity of Side One)
  2. Tea For One (highlights the blues history of the band, rather than a toss-off as a skipped-over last track)
  3. Royal Orleans (the prerequisite Zep "funny song")
  4. 10 Ribs & All/Carrot Pod Pod (Pod) EDITED DOWN TO APPROX. 3-and-one-half-minutes (just a relaxer)
  5. Hots On For Nowhere (highlights the lyrics better. Snowman melted away referring discovering yer coke's all gone; And if you ask my advice, take it slower, let your story be your finest reward is just nice advice for life.  And a hard stop to the song is a nice close for a hard album by The Four Lads)

All the best to you...

I see your points, but to me opening with Achilles added a real air of mystery and majesty to the album.  It was a bold choice, unexpected.  And I think Tea for One is a perfect closer given all the mayhem that precedes it.  It has such a world weary vibe, capturing the mood of the lyrics perfectly.  Nobody's Fault is a perfect side two opener with the mysterious sounding guitar kicking it off.  Genius. 

Zeppelin put alot of thought into their song orders and to me Presence song order is perfect.

Archived