Happy 50th Anniversary

Sticks of Fire

24 minutes ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Thanks for a lifetime of music as a soundtrack to our lives.   

Great post. Could not have put it better myself....except for saying thanks for making some hard times bearable. And thanks for inspiring me to pick up a guitar. 

That day I rifled through my dads vinyl and picked out Led Zep II had a big impact 

Led Zeppelin performed together for the first time on Sept. 7, 1968, but not under that now-famous name.

By summer 1968, the Yardbirds had all but fallen apart. Their lead guitarist Jimmy Page picked up the pieces and put together an all-new version of the band for an already-booked tour. This combo would include vocalist Robert Plant, bassist John Paul Jones and drummer John Bonham. The site of their low-key (but clearly now history-making) debut was the modest Gladsaxe Teen Club of Gladsaxe, Denmark.

A newsletter issued by the venue stated, "Their performance and their music were absolutely flawless, and the music continued to ring nicely in the ears for some time after the curtains were drawn after their show. Let me in particular give my praise to Jimmy Page who has made a great job with the three new men. They really succeeded and in particular the guitar solo by Page created huge applause. ... We can therefore conclude that the new Yardbirds are at least as good as the old ones were."

"It's only a short while before the concert that we realized it wouldn't the 'real' Yardbirds that were going to play," Jorgen Angel, who photographed the performance, told Kashmir. "Gladsaxe Teen Club had booked the Yardbirds a few months before, but the Yardbirds broke up, and Peter Grant and Jimmy Page came with other musicians to fulfill those commitments. They signed a contract for a small tour in Scandinavia. Jimmy recruited three other guys and they played all the clubs where the Yardbirds were supposed to play."

This first show was a late afternoon gig, beginning at 5:30, and was followed with a second show that evening at the Brondby Pop Club in Norregardhallen, Brondby, Denmark. Though no set list survived, it is safe to say the shows likely included songs such as "White Summer," "You Shook Me," "Dazed and Confused" and "Train Kept A-Rollin," all of which were Yardbirds staples at the time. Support acts for the first show were Fourways and Bodies, and no, we're not sure what became of them. Page soon changed the name of the group, either because of legal claims from other former Yardbirds members or out of a desire to start fresh, and the rest is history.

It's the 50th anniversary of their first public performance together. For that, it's a memorable date.

But since they were still billed the New Yardbirds, and since the tour occurred way off in Scandinavia, there wasn't much buzz making its way to England or the U.S.

I'm with Steve A. Jones on acknowledging the release of Led Zeppelin's first album on January 12, 1969 as the logical focal point of the 50th anniversary.

That is when the music world truly changed, as that is when the world got to hear the real Led Zeppelin and the astounding production technique of Jimmy Page.

3 minutes ago, Strider said:

It's the 50th anniversary of their first public performance together. For that, it's a memorable date.

But since they were still billed the New Yardbirds, and since the tour occurred way off in Scandinavia, there wasn't much buzz making its way to England or the U.S.

I'm with Steve A. Jones on acknowledging the release of Led Zeppelin's first album on January 12, 1969 as the logical focal point of the 50th anniversary.

That is when the music world truly changed, as that is when the world got to hear the real Led Zeppelin and the astounding production technique of Jimmy Page.

That’s why I put this in the Live section.   First live performance of them.   Doesn’t matter if they were billed as the New Yardbirds...they were Led Zeppelin and didn’t stop until John Bonham died.  

8 hours ago, Strider said:

So, a press release should be announced by what, November? Does anyone recall when the first mention of HTWWW was?

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

Received "Led Zeppelin by Led Zeppelin" today. It is truly a wonderful, fully packed photographic document, about 400 pages. Meanwhile listening Led Zeppelin l... Takes me back almost 50 years (49).

LZ.jpeg

Are we really talking "previously unseen photos from band members' personal collections", as the blurb says? Anything in it that struck you as "damn, haven't seen that before"?

3 hours ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

There are quite a few photos I havent seen before in any of my other books, so its worth the money!

That's great to hear, did you happen to notice if there are any photos of the 1968 shows? Specifically of the drums from those early shows? I'm dying to see more photos of what Bonzo was playing in the fall of 68 before they went to the US for the first time.

Archived