Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
confounded_bridge

PROOF THAT ANOTHER 1977 PRO-SHOT VIDEO EXISTS

Recommended Posts

First  of  all: I  don't  want  to  start  any  rumors  or  debates. I  just  want  to  share  my  observations  with  you  and  discuss  about  them.

A  year  ago, I  was  searching  the  web  to  find  photos  of  the  1977  laser  pyramid. I  honestly  don't  remember  exactly  the  keywords  I  used, but  I  came  across  a  website  and  I  saw  the  photo  I  am  going  to  post  below. One  guy  claimed  that  this  photo  is  a  fragment  of  the  5/21/1977  video. I  quickly  took  a  screenshot  with  my  phone. I  recently  tried  to  find  again  that  website, but  no  matter  the  keywords  I  used, I  couldn't  find  it  again. Because  I  am  a  vintage  electronics  fan, familiar  with  videotapes, it  seems  to  me  that  the  "photo"  is  really  a  snippet  of  a  video. Look  at  the  line  at  centre, its  the  classic  line  of  a  videotape  that  goes  fast  forward. Also, note  the  tiny  line  at  the  bottom  of  the  picture. The  Seattle  video  has  the  same  line, although  bigger. And  finally, an  other  thing  I  noticed: All  the  1977  soundboard  recordings  have  cuts  every  45-47  minutes. This  is  because  the  showco  workers  used  90  minute  cassettes  (approximately  45  minutes  each  side.) The  only  1977  soundboards  that  don't  have  45  minute  cuts  are  Houston  and  Seattle. Houston  has  only  one  cut  during  Bron-Yr-Aur  Stomp  and  Seattle  has  two  cuts:  One  cut  during  No  Quarter  and  a  tiny  cut  during  the  guitar  solo. Also, the  Houston  soundboard  sounds  different, compared  to  the  other  '77  board  tapes. The  difference  with  the  Seattle  tape  is  that  Houston  recording  is  stereophonic, while  Seattle  recording  is  monaural. My  conclusion  is  that  the  5/21/77  soundboard  recording  is  actually  a  video  soundtrack!  What  do  you  people  think?

Edit: I  know  that  no  cameras  were  on  stage. The  show  was  possibly  videotaped  from  an  upper  room  with  a  single  camera  cctv  system.

Screenshot_20171005-185846.png

Edited by confounded_bridge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like your work although it doesn't really matter a jot whether it was professionally filmed until someone makes the video available.

I personally don't think we'll see any further significant professionally filmed Zeppelin concerts other than the limited Bath '70 footage, which has been unearthed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, zeplz71 said:

50+ photos from Houston 77 and no sign of a camera anywhere. http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/may-21-1977

There are photoshop filters that can add that "video" effect to a photo in two seconds, btw.

Yes. No  cameras  and  camera  men  were  on  stage. No  video  screens  were  projecting. But  there  was  a  room  on  an  upper  level  with  a  cctv  system  (I  think  these  rooms  are  called  "luxury  boxes"). Many  other  concerts  were  filmed  from  this  room, with  no  need  of  onstage  camera  men. 1970's  betamax  videos  were  small  enough  (but  very  expensive) so  I  can  imagine  someone  taping  the  show  from  the  upper  floor. Of  course, this  is  only  a  speculation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, it's not a still from a video. It's a still photograph by Richard E. Aaron. It's part of a series of photos available on Getty Images. Whoever claimed it's a video still is wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cookie0024 said:

Sorry, it's not a still from a video. It's a still photograph by Richard E. Aaron. It's part of a series of photos available on Getty Images. Whoever claimed it's a video still is wrong.

Yes. This was discussed years ago at the Hotel.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been noticing people over the years down playing rumors and stories.   I'm coming to the conclusion they are poisoning the well on purpose to keep things secret.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, confounded_bridge said:

The  show  was  possibly  videotaped  from  an  upper  room  with  a  single  camera  cctv  system.

If it were filmed from an upper room above the crowd then the angle in the photo is all wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the Richard guy is dead and will remain a mystery for now. 

I highly doubt Getty has any policy that forbids screen shots of video capture.  It is an image after all.    Why would this Richard guy screw around with photo in photoshop to give all those weird lines ?

Richard was a bit of a snob anyway.  If you use Wayback machine and visit his site, he basically tells us all to Piss Off and it's his stuff

Edited by SymphonyX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you boost the brightness and reduce the contrast , you will see more lines and distorted drag in the photo.

I dunno diddlysquat on this but just showed the photo to multiple (more than 3) experts in this field and they confirmed it's video

 

97658190-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.c25a97156c5c9d0fe018550f8ea7445f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SymphonyX said:

I've been noticing people over the years down playing rumors and stories.   I'm coming to the conclusion they are poisoning the well on purpose to keep things secret.

I think this fits pretty neatly into the definition of a conspiracy theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SymphonyX said:

If you boost the brightness and reduce the contrast , you will see more lines and distorted drag in the photo.

I dunno diddlysquat on this but just showed the photo to multiple (more than 3) experts in this field and they confirmed it's video

 

97658190-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.c25a97156c5c9d0fe018550f8ea7445f.jpg

The lines you see are an effect from the lasers... And if you want to see CCTV footage from that arena youtube the who and aerosmith...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lines aren't just on the lasers. Look at Bonham's drum kit. They're there too. Regardless, I too don't think this is video. The angle is all wrong for in house cameras, the picture is way too clear to be from a camera in the audience, there's no photographic evidence of any professional cameras that were pointed at the band, and everyone who was there said the video screen was turned off. 

I'm not a photography expert by any means so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but could the lines just be simple distortion/damage? Possibly from scanning, printing or copying the picture?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2018 at 10:16 AM, confounded_bridge said:

Yes. No  cameras  and  camera  men  were  on  stage. No  video  screens  were  projecting. But  there  was  a  room  on  an  upper  level  with  a  cctv  system  (I  think  these  rooms  are  called  "luxury  boxes"). Many  other  concerts  were  filmed  from  this  room, with  no  need  of  onstage  camera  men. 1970's  betamax  videos  were  small  enough  (but  very  expensive) so  I  can  imagine  someone  taping  the  show  from  the  upper  floor. Of  course, this  is  only  a  speculation. 

Yes, and it's endless speculation, because you could apply that scenario to every other arena with luxury boxes at the time for any number of bands and concerts...

 

BTY, that laser pyramid was difficult to film well at the time. Too bad, because it was very impressive in person, particularly from 10 rows back... The smoke looked as if it was captured or trapped in each side of the pyramid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2018 at 10:11 AM, confounded_bridge said:

The  only  1977  soundboards  that  don't  have  45  minute  cuts  are  Houston  and  Seattle. Houston  has  only  one  cut  during  Bron-Yr-Aur  Stomp  and  Seattle  has  two  cuts:  One  cut  during  No  Quarter  and  a  tiny  cut  during  the  guitar  solo. Also, the  Houston  soundboard  sounds  different, compared  to  the  other  '77  board  tapes. The  difference  with  the  Seattle  tape  is  that  Houston  recording  is  stereophonic, while  Seattle  recording  is  monaural. My  conclusion  is  that  the  5/21/77  soundboard  recording  is  actually  a  video  soundtrack!  What  do  you  people  think?

 

WRONG. The Houston 1977 soundboard has the same 45 min cuts, they just covered them up. It is definitely a soundboard like the other 1977 tapes. 

Edited by mrledhed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The line distortions are simple to explain and has nothing to do with video. The lasers moving through the dry ice causes a distortion, a prism effect to a certain degree making the beam "appear" distorted or shifted when in fact it is not, it is in fact an optical illusion and would have looked exactly the same to the audience right there live. 

I saw this affect during the 77' tour stop in Chicago (don't remember it very well as I was quite young) and again during the 85' Firm & 88' Outrider tours (these I remember quite well). The above picture captures exactly how this affect looked to the audience live.

So to recap, dry ice + lasers = distorted images (including the drum kit as it was reflective chrome).

 

Mystery solved

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said it before, there is better Bigfoot footage than there is a Zeppelin on video. Earls Court is from the video screen as is Seattle 1977. Knebworth video screen. SRTS is a bunch of posing. However, there is real good footage of 1975 in NYC and Philly but incomplete as usual. Sound has no bottom but it's good. As far as 1977.. LA and NYC is the only footage I know of with snippets here and there of other venues. 

Now Pontiac remastered,  to me, would be the Holy Grail. 

Jimmy owes us fans new discovered stuff. You can't increase your record sales by remastering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, IpMan said:

The line distortions are simple to explain and has nothing to do with video. The lasers moving through the dry ice causes a distortion, a prism effect to a certain degree making the beam "appear" distorted or shifted when in fact it is not, it is in fact an optical illusion and would have looked exactly the same to the audience right there live. 

I saw this affect during the 77' tour stop in Chicago (don't remember it very well as I was quite young) and again during the 85' Firm & 88' Outrider tours (these I remember quite well). The above picture captures exactly how this affect looked to the audience live.

So to recap, dry ice + lasers = distorted images (including the drum kit as it was reflective chrome).

 

Mystery solved

There should be a lot of picture evidence to back up your claim. I'm not aware of any pics where that effect is evident. Do you have any other examples?

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hummingbird69 said:

There should be a lot of picture evidence to back up your claim. I'm not aware of any pics where that effect is evident. Do you have any other examples?

.

Regardless of examples i can vouch for this effect... Ive been to quite a few shows with lasers... One being Tool ... They also use a bunch of colorful spinning lasers and dry ice which creates this distorted effect when watching it and pics can have the same distortion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hummingbird69 said:

There should be a lot of picture evidence to back up your claim. I'm not aware of any pics where that effect is evident. Do you have any other examples?

.

I guess you have not been to many concerts with laser affects as anyone who has would understand. Please no offense as lasers are not used very much anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IpMan said:

The line distortions are simple to explain and has nothing to do with video. The lasers moving through the dry ice causes a distortion, a prism effect to a certain degree making the beam "appear" distorted or shifted when in fact it is not, it is in fact an optical illusion and would have looked exactly the same to the audience right there live. 

I saw this affect during the 77' tour stop in Chicago (don't remember it very well as I was quite young) and again during the 85' Firm & 88' Outrider tours (these I remember quite well). The above picture captures exactly how this affect looked to the audience live.

So to recap, dry ice + lasers = distorted images (including the drum kit as it was reflective chrome).

 

Mystery solved

Your  explanation  sounds  good  to  me. And  if  there  is  a  little  chance  for  the  video  to  exist, time  will  tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2018 at 9:49 PM, The Rover said:

Yes, and it's endless speculation, because you could apply that scenario to every other arena with luxury boxes at the time for any number of bands and concerts...

 

BTY, that laser pyramid was difficult to film well at the time. Too bad, because it was very impressive in person, particularly from 10 rows back... The smoke looked as if it was captured or trapped in each side of the pyramid.

I  have  noticed  this  in  all  '77  amateur  films. Only  the  green/yellow  beams  behind  Jimmys  amps  are  captured. The  blue  pyramid  is  invisible. Same  thing  with  the  Seattle  video. The  pyramid  is  captured  only  during  the  final  spin. Does  anybody  know  why? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IpMan said:

I guess you have not been to many concerts with laser affects as anyone who has would understand. Please no offense as lasers are not used very much anymore.

Tell you what, I have seen Jimmy's Laser Show with the firm and his solo act and I have ever seen any of those effects to the naked eye.  I have the vids and I don't even remember seeing anything like that in those vids. But I have seen enough distortions in VHS tapes to say it certainly looks like the same thing.

I'm not saying it is but can you show any other photos that show this effect or not? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, confounded_bridge said:

I  have  noticed  this  in  all  '77  amateur  films. Only  the  green/yellow  beams  behind  Jimmy's  amps  are  captured. The  blue  pyramid  is  invisible. Same  thing  with  the  Seattle  video. The  pyramid  is  captured  only  during  the  final  spin. Does  anybody  know  why? 

Well, on the final spin, there's more light reflecting  from it, to show up on film. Just brings up the old feelings of disappointment that Zeppelin were unable to film (properly) any of the '75 or '77 shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×