Led Zeppelin to do a Live streaming service

drpete

On 9/19/2018 at 9:23 PM, Autumn Moon said:

Haha, live taping right in the living room, with one big advantage: we know when to flip the tape.

Goddamn, need to connect the laptop with my amplifier somehow.........

The Stones have their live archive releases, why can´t LZ do a proper job as well?

Get an Arcam Digital to Analogue converter. I have one. Attach a USB cable from your laptop to this and cable it to your amp. I stream all my music and I also attach the TV to it and play it through my amp. Fantastic bit of kit

https://www.whathifi.com/arcam/rdac/review

4 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Get an Arcam Digital to Analogue converter. I have one. Attach a USB cable from your laptop to this and cable it to your amp. I stream all my music and I also attach the TV to it and play it through my amp. Fantastic bit of kit

Sweet...thank you Sir

13 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Oh , a glass is half empty type eh? 😏  I would gladly take a clear, mastered matrix aud/sbd mp3 any day over any lossless audience tape. Those already are plentifully available. Most hardcore fans have lossless audience transfers. I love how quickly people start with the negative vibes. Anyway, this sounds like real pie in the sky, but we shall see....🤔

If the stream is lossy then it's lossy. 320 is the best you can do with mp3 but they'll probably go with 128. Even if it's 256 K It won't matter what kind of matrix they do its lossy and will sound like shit. If you want to pay for low quality music then be my guest but don't try and shame me because I want it lossless.

On 9/19/2018 at 12:49 PM, Autumn Moon said:

I guess this will make a lot of fans happy.

On the other hand, does this mean there will be no physical releases (CD & Vinyl)??? For me this would be a HUGE letdown. I simply can`t enjoy music via my laptop and those shitty sounding speakers. Also, I can´t connect my laptop with my hifi system, which may be a little old but very good, no optical or digital input available.

God, I hope they will release CDs & vinyl sets. If not, there is hope that the live-stream will be bootlegged. NON DOWNLOADABLE- I don´t think they get away with that nowadays......

If you buy a DAC (digital audio converter), you can hook up your computer (and all your other digital devices) to your hifi (and all your analog devices). 

29 minutes ago, hummingbird69 said:

If the stream is lossy then it's lossy. 320 is the best you can do with mp3 but they'll probably go with 128. Even if it's 256 K It won't matter what kind of matrix they do its lossy and will sound like shit. If you want to pay for low quality music then be my guest but don't try and shame me because I want it lossless.

Dude! I'm not trying to shame you....I just found humor in the fact that your first reaction to this potentially good news is assuming it'll suck . I want lossless too, but I am very excited at the prospect of hearing any live material EQ'd for better clarity than a rough audience tape or dry bones SBD , even if it's a lame MP3. I just thought it was funny that a diehard fan's immediate response is to say... it's going to be ruined anyway. 

16 hours ago, porgie66 said:

😏 I love how quickly people start with the negative vibes. Anyway, this sounds like real pie in the sky, but we shall see....🤔

lol, what could go wrong when you have slime lawyers and tons of Red Tape involved?   It's doomed to fail and the problem with our current system.   Mark my words and post, the system will collapse with all these nonsense Red Tap and we will be entering a whole new system in coming years.

4 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

There is pretty much no detectable difference between flac and 320k. Anyone who says they can hear a difference is a gosh durned liar.

3 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Dude! I'm not trying to shame you....I just found humor in the fact that your first reaction to this potentially good news is assuming it'll suck . I want lossless too, but I am very excited at the prospect of hearing any live material EQ'd for better clarity than a rough audience tape or dry bones SBD , even if it's a lame MP3. I just thought it was funny that a diehard fan's immediate response is to say... it's going to be ruined anyway. 

That's the way of the world. Spend time to pretty something up then broadcast it in a lossy format kinda defeats the purpose; to me anyway.

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

There is pretty much no detectable difference between flac and 320k. Anyone who says they can hear a difference is a gosh durned liar.

Say what you want. A 320 mp3 of official material won't sound too much different but when you mp3 bootlegs the effect thins out the recording makes the cymbals sound swishy and removes the deepest of the bottom end sometimes the only discernable bass too begin with. If you're happy with mp3 more powa to ya. I'll stick with lossless.  

13 minutes ago, hummingbird69 said:

Say what you want. A 320 mp3 of official material won't sound too much different but when you mp3 bootlegs the effect thins out the recording makes the cymbals sound swishy and removes the deepest of the bottom end sometimes the only discernable bass too begin with. If you're happy with mp3 more powa to ya. I'll stick with lossless.  

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

I was 3/6. I could definitely tell 320 from 120, but uncompressed was almost indiscernible from 320. But I was also using medium level earbuds.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

What about a cerebral implant? Why is Jimmy and the boys not offering this through a direct hardlink into our god damned brains? Anything less is unacceptable!!!!

Sorry Ipman, but you’re living in the past....that’s nowhere near ambitious enough. The use of hardware is defunct. Telepathy is the answer.......😂

This should have been done 10 years ago.  It is absolutely insane to plan now for the next 10 years.   I'm treating the news article as fake news and to generate a buzz.

Don't underestimate technology, everything rapidly changes ever 6 to 9 months and going to plan next 10 years ? LOL, good luck.

Gene Simmons has had nothing positive to say about Streaming.  He's said quite a handful about free streaming, but also said the whole format is a discombobulated mess.  Gene is the first to pimp out his own mother for a nickle,  if anyone should test the waters with a Streaming Service it should be KISS and then we can look at Zeppelin.

Maybe they should follow DGM's (King Crimson) model? Just about every recording they have gotten their hands on along with most of their recordings for sale as download in flac or mp3.  I think the streaming thing is a way to keep people coming back to the site for repeat listening. that keeps the band current and also has some other advertising angle to generate cash.   

On 9/21/2018 at 1:12 PM, chillumpuffer said:

23 hours ago, chef free said:

If you buy a DAC (digital audio converter), you can hook up your computer (and all your other digital devices) to your hifi (and all your analog devices). 

Many thanks to Chillumpuffer & Chef Free for bringing some light into the dark, sounds good to me.

1 hour ago, mysticman560 said:

Why not just issue these recordings as CD releases and digital downloads? I'd rather have physical copies of these recordings anyway.

Same here, i.e. the Black Crowes offer SB-recordings on CD or flac/mp3 downloads for reasonable price.

Anyway, the NON downloadable idea will fail immediately. I guess bootleg companies will sell the shows on silver about 14 days after the their initial streaming.

On 9/20/2018 at 12:19 AM, Autumn Moon said:

Also, I can´t connect my laptop with my hifi system, which may be a little old but very good, no optical or digital input available.

Too easy - find an RCA Cable that goes to 1/8th inch - plug the RCA cables  into your tape monitor input & your good to go! I have a mid-80's Harmon Kardon amp and this is how I run  Pandora (via my iPad) through my system.  

6 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Same here, i.e. the Black Crowes offer SB-recordings on CD or flac/mp3 downloads for reasonable price.

Anyway, the NON downloadable idea will fail immediately. I guess bootleg companies will sell the shows on silver about 14 days after the their initial streaming.

So do Pearl Jam. 

As for the bootleg companies, if they can get the technology to download from a stream, surely the average Joe can

On 9/20/2018 at 7:49 AM, Autumn Moon said:

I guess this will make a lot of fans happy.

On the other hand, does this mean there will be no physical releases (CD & Vinyl)??? For me this would be a HUGE letdown. I simply can`t enjoy music via my laptop and those shitty sounding speakers. Also, I can´t connect my laptop with my hifi system, which may be a little old but very good, no optical or digital input available.

God, I hope they will release CDs & vinyl sets. If not, there is hope that the live-stream will be bootlegged. NON DOWNLOADABLE- I don´t think they get away with that nowadays......

Just get a 2x rca - 3.5mm cable and connect it that way. It's how I connect my 30+ year old amp to my PC. 

Archived