6/3/73 - Winston or JEMS?

ZepHead315

I have the Winston version, which sounds great to my ears, but I'm curious how it compares to the JEMS version, particularly during the latter part of the show once the tape issues have cleared up. According to Royal Orleans, Winston has tape garbles in Heartbreaker/Whole Lotta Love which aren't on the LP. I'm curious: does JEMS have those issues as well? Or is theirs better for that portion of the show? Any help would be appreciated!

1 hour ago, ZepHead315 said:

I have the Winston version, which sounds great to my ears, but I'm curious how it compares to the JEMS version, particularly during the latter part of the show once the tape issues have cleared up. According to Royal Orleans, Winston has tape garbles in Heartbreaker/Whole Lotta Love which aren't on the LP. I'm curious: does JEMS have those issues as well? Or is theirs better for that portion of the show? Any help would be appreciated!

I know exactly what you’re talking about.  Yes a portion of the show has tape problems but after it clears up the LP version didn’t have a tape “pause” during HB/WLL.  I remembering getting a low gen version and being disappointed with the glitch because the LP version was clean at theat point. 

9 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

I feel dumb asking. . what is JEMS? I have decent versions of all shows that are decent/great. . Am I missing out? THX:)

It's a group of people who recorded and have released an insanely large number of shows from a variety of groups. I believe the term JEMS is an acronym of their first letters of their first names, and the person who was the "J" passed away a couple of years ago. Here's some info about him:

https://www.spl-messages.net/topic/sad-news-the-light-on-the-j-in-jems-has-gone-out

21 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

I know exactly what you’re talking about.  Yes a portion of the show has tape problems but after it clears up the LP version didn’t have a tape “pause” during HB/WLL.  I remembering getting a low gen version and being disappointed with the glitch because the LP version was clean at theat point. 

That is so strange. I wonder how that could be possible. I guess there was some sort of glitch that cropped up when transferring the masters of the tape. A shame cause Winston's version sounds so much better than the old LP version imho.

Just now, ZepHead315 said:

That is so strange. I wonder how that could be possible. I guess there was some sort of glitch that cropped up when transferring the masters of the tape. A shame cause Winston's version sounds so much better than the old LP version imho.

Do you remember where it it in the recording?   Im going to have to check 

I suspect the guys in California who got first gens did that on purpose for all of us to enjoy. 😐

2 minutes ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Do you remember where it it in the recording?   Im going to have to check 

I suspect the guys in California who got first gens did that on purpose for all of us to enjoy. 😐

I just checked and it's right after Page does those pull offs during the acapella Heartbreaker solo. It's very brief but definitely noticeable.

8 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

It's a group of people who recorded and have released an insanely large number of shows from a variety of groups. I believe the term JEMS is an acronym of their first letters of their first names, and the person who was the "J" passed away a couple of years ago. Here's some info about him:

https://www.spl-messages.net/topic/sad-news-the-light-on-the-j-in-jems-has-gone-out

THX for getting back. . Is there something special I'm missing out on?

1 hour ago, ZepHead315 said:

I just checked and it's right after Page does those pull offs during the acapella Heartbreaker solo. It's very brief but definitely noticeable.

There it is.   Damn, and the boot LP isn’t like that from what I remember.   It’s such a nice recording too.   I remember TSRTS, Rain Song and No Quater had issues but the intentional cut there sucks.   Most of the show didn’t have a problem and it’s too bad for the flaw

JEMS version has the best sound. However, parts of it are unlistenable or borderline unlistenable because of problems with the tape. Some of these problems Winston fixed, and some he merely did the best he could but couldn't effectively repair or work around them.

If memory served, a major way Winston dealt with this flawed tape was to just toss out the wonky right(?) channel for large swaths of the show, maybe the whole show and make the thing mono.

My personal go-to is a version of the JEMS, which I have worked on extensively to fix the channel dropouts while preserving it as a stereo show as much as possible. I also cut out The Song Remains the Same and part of The Rain Song, because the tape flutter is just awful.

It's a corking performance though - one of the best of '73.

Archived