Five Places You Would Like To Visit

apantherfrommd

Name Five Places Your Would Like To Visit - Money No Object

Places you have been before or have never been.

Mine tend to be cold places. What would yours be?

1. Alaska

Image result for aurora borealis animated gif

2. Antarctica - Just to say I've been there.

3. Hawaii - Wild beaches can be valued for their untouched beauty and preserved nature.

Image result for hawaii wild beaches animated gif

4. Siberia - For It's Science. (LedZeppelin77) got me thinking about this one.

Image result for Ancient and Creepy Doll Head Discovered in Prehistoric Child Grave Joins World’s Oldest Known ToyImage result for mr. hankey

Yes the Christmas poo, may be the descendant of the Holy Russian God toy of an uncovered ancient relic.

5. Italy or Greece. Can't decide.

Image result for animated gif italy

• apantherfrommd changed the title to Five Places You Would Like To Visit

In no particular order:

Mekong Delta, Vietnam: I recently visited Vietnam for the first time and while there developed an addiction to coconut milk sold by Mekong Delta farmers. They explained how the coconuts were harvested and what daily life is like in the Mekong Delta, the rice bowl of the nation.

Cairo, Egypt: The Great Pyramids have always fascinated me. If I thought I could explore them as well as the Valley of the Kings without being taken hostage or killed in a terrorist attack I would definitely do so.

I'd have to think about coming up with three more places. I've traveled a lot and though I haven't been everywhere, at this point I have been to just about everywhere I really wanted to go.

I've been to 57 countries, all 7 continents and swam in all four oceans, but still need to go to:

1.  The National Parks in India (specifically Kaziranga, Bandipur and Gir)

2.  Egypt (when it's considerably safer for Americans)

3.  A tour of the "Stans":  Kazakhstan, Taikistan and Turkmenistan)

4.  The interior of Kalimantan to search for rhino and additional population of Komodo dragons.

5.  Kiritimati (Christmas island)  

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:41 AM, apantherfrommd said:

Name Five Places Your Would Like To Visit - Money No Object

Places you have been before or have never been.

Mine tend to be cold places. What would yours be?

1. 5. Italy or Greece. Can't decide.

Image result for animated gif italy

Warm places preferably for me, I live in Sunny Scotland after all.  No particular ambitions to see anywhere special (other than the HR Giger museum in Switzerland) we just like going somewhere and seeing new things. We're just back from a 10 day, 4 city tour of Italy. Visited Venice, Rome, Florence and Milan.

2 days in Venice which, TBH was a bit meh though cool to see. I couldn't decide if it was elegantly decaying or just falling to bits in some places.  2 and a half days in Rome which was stunning, ancient historical (the Colosseum is truly a sight to see with the naked eye) and hot and sweaty (83% humidity, 30 degree heat, not good for us Scots).  Florence was a day and a half but we kinda wasted the half day when we arrived cos we went the wrong way out of the train station! Our hotel here was a bit outside the city in a small town with a large industrial/shopping mall area but with a good train link so we weren't just in cities all the time which was nice. The mountain range we could see from that hotel had a cute wee castle on it! Milan was a day and a half in another gorgeous city but full of the kind of shops mere mortals like me can't afford. The first I laid eyes on was a branch of Tiffany's, one of two in the same arcade of shops. Milan Cathedral though is a sight to behold and it's main Train Station is the most beautiful train station I have ever been in, ever.

Needless to say (if you're a fan of Italian food) the food was great and I like Italian beers so that was a bonus too. Bizarrely one of the most popular lagers all over Italy is Glasgow's own Tennent's Super lager, saw it being drunk by cool student types in Rome. Here in Glasgow we know that as "Rocket Fuel" because it's mainly drunk by what we call "Jakies". It's a strange old world.  We travelled by train between the cities on the FrecciaRossa high speed trains, there were screens giving info about the journey and I was generally seeing around 250 km/h speeds, at one point the Mrs spotted 290+ km/h the fastest we've ever went on land. Very enjoyable trip if a bit brief due to the time constraints . Milan was pushed on us due to availability of flights back to Scotland but I'm glad it was, nice place. I'd like to visit Rome, Milan and maybe Florence again for a longer look around.

On 10/4/2018 at 9:42 AM, Stryder1978 said:

Austria - They have four hour tours out of Salzburg that I took my Mum on.  Really excellent!

And they have excellent skiing in Innsbruck and the Austrian Alps. You can still see the remnants of the 1976 Winter Olympics up there.

On 10/4/2018 at 9:09 AM, Bong-Man said:

Iceland

Costa Rica

Patagonia

Australia/New Zealand

England/Scotland/Ireland

Two of yours are on my list, too.

3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

New Zealand

California

The West Indies -

Sri Lanka

Cape Town

Sorry I dropped the ball on your California trip, mate. 

Nice to see some love for New Zealand/Australia and Iceland. LZF77 had a similar thread a while back and my five places are still roughly the same. Due to unforeseen circumstances I had to cancel a trip to Iceland this year.

1. Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (I know some cool people Down Under and I want to see the Great Barrier Reef before it is destroyed)

2. Iceland

3. Antarctica (penguins!!!)

4. Machu Picchu (for obvious reasons)

5. China (I'd love to traverse the entirety of the Great Wall of China)

My Top Five

1) Kenya - Going in February for Ladyfriend's 50th birthday - beach and safari

2) Iceland - Going in May for my son's high school graduation present - a father and son ring road camper van trip

3) Viet Nam

4) Cambodia 

5) Sri Lanka - I'm from Chicago and have been working in Central Asia since 2010. I spent a month in Sri Lanka a few years ago and fell in love with the place. I'd be happy with beach vacations in Asia for the rest of my life. 

I too have traveled extensively however have never been to the far east:

Taktsand Dong, Tibet

Mahabodhi Temple at Bihar, India

Angor Wat, Cambodia

Kyoto, Japan

St. Petersburg, Russia

Shout out to Hokitika Gorge, New Zealand

On 10/8/2018 at 6:29 AM, Strider said:

1. Australia/New Zealand/Oceania (I know some cool people Down Under and I want to see the Great Barrier Reef before it is destroyed)

Better hurry Strider. Each new look at the reefs health seems to trend south and has done for some years now. It is (and I believe remains so in large areas) spectacular, we went there on oury honeymoon 17+ years ago. Probably the best place I've been. (beating Yosemite National Park which was amazing)

My 5 in no particular order.....

Kennedy Space Centre.

England and Ireland where my lovely wife will give me the greatest tour in history.

Europe - specifically Germany, Austria, for the castles and history and the northern countries that are postcard picture perfect (nordic?) etc...

Queenstown and drive to Milford Sound. That kind of country so close to home will be awesome to drive through.

Canada - would love to drive across it. Not sure of the highway, but the one they built with those beautiful European looking giant hotels dotted along the route. And what a route! The scenery....

So many but 

Hawaii

London 

French Riviera and Paris

Jerusalem  ( want to go to the Garden of Getsemani, and to the upper room where the Last Supper took place and walk in Jesus's footsteps, and the sea of Galilea)

Napa Valley (one place I did not have time to hit when in California and my wife is not into wine like I am

1. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park - I'd like to see this perfect Hawaiian lava

2. Iceland - funny that Iceland is on almost everybodys list

3. Grand Canyon and all the other great landscapes of the western States (Yoshua Tree, Monument Valley, Death Valley, Yosemite)

4. New Zealand - if there is ever a chance for a sabbatical I'll spend it in NZ

5. Scottland: Hiking in the highlands, from destillery to destillery 🥃

This summer a dream came true with our vacation in Norway. I had very high expactations and I wasn't disappointed. It was even more beautiful and impressive than I imagined. But a certain love for rocks is needed

Archived