Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Xolo1974

Vienna 73 and Bonzo’s Birthday Party

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Looking for a little bit of help peeps. 

First question...are these shows any good? 

Second question - what are the definitive versions? Are they audience or SBD recordings....or are they matrixes. 

Appreciate any help. 

Thanks all 

Neil 

Edited by Xolo1974

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vienna is a really good show. It features a tremendous Heartbreaker esp.

It's available as both AUD and a SBD recording but you're best bet is to go with a AUD/SBD matrix. Winston's is very good and i know the Eat A Peach label recently put one out too that was v.good on my last listen. That release only uses a combination of AUD sources though. Whereas Winston's is a AUD/SBD matrix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Vienna 73.  I often disagree with Luis Rey's views in The Led Zeppelin Tape Documentary, but in this case I agree.  He called Vienna 73 one of the all time essential concerts.  The introduction to Heartbreaker is a special unique moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vienna is a great show. One of the best of 1973. My all time favorite Dazed and Confused, and a brutal Heartbreaker as others have pointed out. I'd go with Winston's version.

Bonzo's Birthday Party is good, although I've always found that show a tad overrated. There's three different audience recordings and a soundboard in circulation. I personally think the soundboard is flat and dry. The Graf Zeppelin release of that show uses a combination of the audience recordings and is the best presentation of the show I've heard at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Looking for a little bit of help peeps. 

First question...are these shows any good? 

Second question - what are the definitive versions? Are they audience or SBD recordings....or are they matrixes. 

Appreciate any help. 

Thanks all 

Neil 

Vienna is essential. A must-have show. My new go-to release for this show is Moonchild's "Goodnight Vienna", which claims to be the Winston Remaster. Whether it is or not, it sounds better than all other versions of the show I have.

front01.thumb.jpg.fa99ee0c5d71e74a5771d058a1616bca.jpg

Bonzo's Birthday Party is a bit more problematic. It was a fun gig to attend, no question. Even more amazing when you consider Jimmy had just smashed his finger on his fretting hand.

But the soundboard tape sounds dry and horrible. The audience is slightly better but it is incomplete and also suffers severe wow-and-flutter from time to time. When I do listen to this show, I generally stick with my vinyl from Kimber Records.

R-1435833-1337209347-1128.jpeg.jpg.a0fb07bfc5e743136abf5d9cc889b313.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both shows are worth having, but imho both are overrated as well.

Vienna: Page & Bonham deliver one of the best D&C ever. Jones is solid as ever (though plagued by a stomach colic). Plant´s voice is extreme weak, constantly breaking & squeaking- a piece of hard work. To make matters worse, Plant tries to hide his problems with a huge amount of vocal effects, which doesn´t help either. When I am in the mood for Europe 73, I prefer Offenburg anytime.

I like Bonzo´s Birthday Party better than Vienna, though it isn´t in the top league with e.g Seattle, Providence & LA Forum June 3rd.

Sound: For Vienna I´d recommend the Winston Remaster, with Graf Zeppelin´s Lead Poisoning just a tad behind. A Very Nice Night by EAP hasn´t conviced me.

Graf Zeppelin´s version of Bonzo´s Birthday Party is the best I have heard so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are both great and must haves IMO. I can hook you up with the best sources. Graf Zeppelin did an excellent 3 source mix of Bonzo's Bday that's all audience. I don't care much for the soundboard as it's very dry as per usual with 73 boards. I rarely listen to the board tape.  A good Matrix can be done but I haven't heard one yet. I prefer the ambience of the audience sources, all three of which have their positive qualities. The old tmq source is great and it's used as the primary source for the Graf Zeppelin version. A nice thing about that one is Moby-Dick is complete, which it never was on any other released before. It always pissed me off that no one bothered to compile all the sources properly for Moby Dick for a complete version. I mean it was his birthday after all! 

Vienna is a killer show, one of the best of Euro 73 tour and a blazing version of Dazed! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, porgie66 said:

These are both great and must haves IMO. I can hook you up with the best sources. Graf Zeppelin did an excellent 3 source mix of Bonzo's Bday that's all audience. I don't care much for the soundboard as it's very dry as per usual with 73 boards. I rarely listen to the board tape.  A good Matrix can be done but I haven't heard one yet. I prefer the ambience of the audience sources, all three of which have their positive qualities. The old tmq source is great and it's used as the primary source for the Graf Zeppelin version. A nice thing about that one is Moby-Dick is complete, which it never was on any other released before. It always pissed me off that no one bothered to compile all the sources properly for Moby Dick for a complete version. I mean it was his birthday after all! 

Vienna is a killer show, one of the best of Euro 73 tour and a blazing version of Dazed! 

Well thanks everybody. I now have the WR for Vienna. I will give it a listen today. 

Would love the Graf Zeppelin version of BBP - thanks George. 

Believe it or not, I’m only just getting into the 73 shows. I’d always used Heywoods version of the TSRTS as a representation. Oh how I was mistaken. 

The shows I have so far are - Seattle (thanks @ZepHead315), New Orleans (thanks George), Offenberg, Essen and Vienna. Any other must haves? @Strider you mentioned a couple?

Incidentally and completely unrelated, I have Graf Zeppelins latest version of Blueberry Hill on its way to me. Anyone wants a copy PM me. 

Cheers guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

Well thanks everybody. I now have the WR for Vienna. I will give it a listen today. 

Would love the Graf Zeppelin version of BBP - thanks George. 

Believe it or not, I’m only just getting into the 73 shows. I’d always used Heywoods version of the TSRTS as a representation. Oh how I was mistaken. 

The shows I have so far are - Seattle (thanks @ZepHead315), New Orleans (thanks George), Offenberg, Essen and Vienna. Any other must haves? @Strider you mentioned a couple?

Incidentally and completely unrelated, I have Graf Zeppelins latest version of Blueberry Hill on its way to me. Anyone wants a copy PM me. 

Cheers guys

I love Munich as well, it has a dark vibe somehow, and great heavy sound on the audience tape. Milwaukee and Detroit are great, Providence is awesome. I like Pittsburgh too, but the audience tapes aren't the greatest. My fav SBDs are Ft Worth, and the partial from Denver and Houston. Despite the tape issues , I think June 3 1973 at the Forum is their best show of the tour, overall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

Believe it or not, I’m only just getting into the 73 shows. I’d always used Heywoods version of the TSRTS as a representation. Oh how I was mistaken. 

The shows I have so far are - Seattle (thanks @ZepHead315), New Orleans (thanks George), Offenberg, Essen and Vienna. Any other must haves? @Strider you mentioned a couple?

Hi Neil,

Glad you're enjoying my version of Seattle! :) 

As for other 73 shows in addition to what Porgie mentioned, here's what I would recommend:

1/15 Stoke - Plant's in weak voice, but Bonzo is killing it here. Much better than Southampton imho. Seek out the Winston Remaster.

3/21 Hamburg - Another great Euro 73 show with one of the all time best versions of Dazed. Sound is unfortunately mediocre for much of the show, although there's a partial soundboard capturing much of Dazed, Stairway, and Whole Lotta Love. I'd recommend Dadgad's "Hamburg (It's Complete)" for the most complete version of the show.

6/2 San Francisco - An outdoor show with a great vibe, all of the band (even Plant) sound great here. I have Godfather's "A Celebration For Being Who You Are" which sounds terrific to me.

7/23 Baltimore - You REALLY need bootleg ears for this one, but if you can stand the poor sound, this is an amazing show. Plant's best show of 1973 imho, and Page's playing is on the same level as the European run. Maybe the best show of the tour on a pure technical level. Dadgad's "A Bloody Act" is the one to get for that show.

If you'd like an alternative to TSRTS in good sound, I'd recommend Liriodendron's "1973 US Tour Compilation". He remastered the soundboards so well that they're pretty much official release quality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Hi Neil,

Glad you're enjoying my version of Seattle! :) 

As for other 73 shows in addition to what Porgie mentioned, here's what I would recommend:

1/15 Stoke - Plant's in weak voice, but Bonzo is killing it here. Much better than Southampton imho. Seek out the Winston Remaster.

3/21 Hamburg - Another great Euro 73 show with one of the all time best versions of Dazed. Sound is unfortunately mediocre for much of the show, although there's a partial soundboard capturing much of Dazed, Stairway, and Whole Lotta Love. I'd recommend Dadgad's "Hamburg (It's Complete)" for the most complete version of the show.

6/2 San Francisco - An outdoor show with a great vibe, all of the band (even Plant) sound great here. I have Godfather's "A Celebration For Being Who You Are" which sounds terrific to me.

7/23 Baltimore - You REALLY need bootleg ears for this one, but if you can stand the poor sound, this is an amazing show. Plant's best show of 1973 imho, and Page's playing is on the same level as the European run. Maybe the best show of the tour on a pure technical level. Dadgad's "A Bloody Act" is the one to get for that show.

If you'd like an alternative to TSRTS in good sound, I'd recommend Liriodendron's "1973 US Tour Compilation". He remastered the soundboards so well that they're pretty much official release quality. 

Yes to all of these!! Stoke is a favorite of mine , instrumentally... but Plants voice is 😫. Kezar is kind of essential but I've always found the performances to be a bit lackluster somehow. Maybe it's the outdoor venue sound which is somewhat dull. There are some great moments but it's sounds like it was a hot day in the sun and they sound a little drained. Plant even comments about just waking up and Mandrax . LOL. 

Edited by porgie66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vienna is an outstanding show, although a notch below Offenburg and Hamburg.  Others have mentioned the great DC and HB, but I also love STH from this show, the drum-guitar interplay in the solo is fantastic.

Bonzo's Birthday is overrated, like most of the West Coast '73 shows.  It's certainly not as good as the 2nd Forum night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Why does no one throw in Essen in these debates?

Outstanding battle between Page and Bonzo in this show

 

Cos I forgot!!! Epic dueling going on there!! 👍🏼💥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 9, 2018 at 11:48 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Vienna is an outstanding show, although a notch below Offenburg and Hamburg.  Others have mentioned the great DC and HB, but I also love STH from this show, the drum-guitar interplay in the solo is fantastic.

And this....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5/13 Mobile is great too!  It's a soundboard that runs into (or through--can't remember) "Moby Dick"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bonzo_fan said:

5/13 Mobile is great too!  It's a soundboard that runs into (or through--can't remember) "Moby Dick"

Yes, that's a very well-played show and there are remasters of that board tape out there that sound pretty damn good! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2018 at 11:25 AM, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Why does no one throw in Essen in these debates?

Outstanding battle between Page and Bonzo in this show

 

In fairness, the OP only asked for recs for Vienna and LA 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×