Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
apantherfrommd

Best Live Bass Solo

5 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

My bet. 1971 Maple Leaf Gardens - Warm-Up to MSG

That is going to be freakin' hard to beat.

...and I can't wait to hear the ontenders.

1 hour ago, chef free said:

How about the bass jam in the Communication Breakdown medley from LA '70?

Jonesy wasn't quite prepared for this platform... as much as I dig his bass work, this impromptu solo does not come off that well. Tempo is off and he fails to get into his signature groove; don't get me wrong the solo doesn't irritate me (the BB Hill Organ solo DOES!), but I'd rather recommend his amazing fretwork during Heartbreaker from Berkeley 14 sept.... the closest he got into the John Entwistle 'OX' territory.

TSRTS WLL during the freak out part (Theramin?) - he goes off. And it is CRIMINAL there are no shots of him during that particular freight train like bass run.

10 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Live Bass--Usually I go to three songs; Sick Again, In My Time of Dying and TSRTS. The #1 spot may go to Sick Again from 3-5-75....

This was excellent! Thank you, Paul. :goodpost:

A few more:

March 14, 1969 Stockholm I Gotta move after Page breaks a string and the whole song is bass, drums, harmonica and vocals.

The funky sections of WLL in 1973 and 1975

C'mon folks, is there really a "best bass solo" where John Paul Jones is concerned? The man plays something amazing and different every show. You can't name a show where he doesn't shine.

Not sure if we were supposed to stick to actual solos as such, but I'll a bit of a sleeper: "Whole Lotta Love" on 7/7/80 in Berlin.

On 10/12/2018 at 11:38 AM, Bonzo_fan said:

Not sure if we were supposed to stick to actual solos as such, but I'll a bit of a sleeper: "Whole Lotta Love" on 7/7/80 in Berlin.

+1, an epic performance