I'm calling it- On January 12th, I think Page will announce a release date for a new live album.

We've all been speculating about a release for the anniversary, but that would actually be far fetched considering it would probably be pushed back anyway. I think a more realistic guess would be an announcement on the first album release date. Then Page could spend the entire year teasing us with a release date for whatever he has left.

On a philosophical level I agree that the release date for the first album is the most natural date but why in the world would they intentionally miss the Christmas buying season?  I can't see that happening.  I expect a late October or early November announcement.   

3 hours ago, mrlowry said:

On a philosophical level I agree that the release date for the first album is the most natural date but why in the world would they intentionally miss the Christmas buying season?  I can't see that happening.  I expect a late October or early November announcement.   

I don't think the typical Led Zeppelin fan would mind holding out till after Christmas.

17 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

We've all been speculating about a release for the anniversary, but that would actually be far fetched considering it would probably be pushed back anyway. I think a more realistic guess would be an announcement on the first album release date. Then Page could spend the entire year teasing us with a release date for whatever he has left.

I think this is a very realistic notion. I've been saying to folks hoping for a last-minute release this year that the Zep I release date is much more realistic for a new 50th anniversary release to come out. But given we've heard nothing yet, I am more inclined to agree with you that we will have to wait until Jan 2019 just to get the announcement, with the release in March.

3 hours ago, mrlowry said:

My understanding is that the original intention likely was not to miss the Christmas season - TSRTS reissue apparently was supposed to come out earlier in the year, but was delayed, throwing off the whole timeline.

I seriously doubt we will get any new  release. Esp with the announcement of the Led Zeppelin Experience streaming service. Why would Page issue a proper release - think of all the manufacturing, artwork, mastering, and promotion and costs associated with  such an endeavor. I just don't see it happening with the Led Zeppelin Experience announcement.

Inshalla, I am wrong but time will tell.  

1 hour ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

I seriously doubt we will get any new  release. Esp with the announcement of the Led Zeppelin Experience streaming service. Why would Page issue a proper release - think of all the manufacturing, artwork, mastering, and promotion and costs associated with  such an endeavor. I just don't see it happening with the Led Zeppelin Experience announcement.

Inshalla, I am wrong but time will tell.  

I do hope you're wrong. Selecting artwork isn't his prime concern. The designs for HTWWW, Mothership and Celebration Day IMHO were all less than overwhelming compared to the original LZ album art. A pity, but alas. The remaining multitracks have already being transferred to digital, cleaned up and mixed prior to the release of DVD/HTWWW ,.. Cherry picking from the Japan 71, Earl's Court or even Knebworth multi's is not a gargantuan task. So there's no excuse whatsoever to put out either a live compilation (HTEWW, Earl's Court,...) or a live anthology (RAH up to Knebworth) as an anniversary release. The Live LZ experience is something els. I think it will be more 'warts and all' streaming service aimed at fans an casual listeners But the band is still in need of a definitive Live album. 

Just my pennies worth

On 10/15/2018 at 2:53 PM, Earthchief said:

I don't think the typical Led Zeppelin fan would mind holding out till after Christmas.

When they are coming up with a marketing strategy they probably don't think of hard core fans that much because they know we will buy it whenever it is released.  The majority of sales aren't to hard core fans though it's about casual fans.  They would be crazy to announce in November or December and release in January, just missing the Christmas buying frenzy.  Now it is possible that they announce in January for a March release.   I'm not a marketing expert but those are my thoughts.

41 minutes ago, mrlowry said:

When they are coming up with a marketing strategy they probably don't think of hard core fans that much because they know we will buy it whenever it is released.  The majority of sales aren't to hard core fans though it's about casual fans.  They would be crazy to announce in November or December and release in January, just missing the Christmas buying frenzy.  Now it is possible that they announce in January for a March release.   I'm not a marketing expert but those are my thoughts.

You guys act like there couldn't be a release date for next Christmas. This is Jimmy "hold out" Page after all.

Edit: And it's not like a new Led Zeppelin live album is gonna be the hot new toy every kid wants. I don't think they'd even worry about a holiday release.

2 hours ago, 76229 said:

He doesn't seem to have posted at the hotel for a few months either.

Yes, and that has not gone unnoticed there either! If something has changed since he originally posted about this stuff, of course no one could've seen that coming. But if he knew that something was in the works with as much certainty as he indicated, then he also must know at least something now about what's going on (or not going on). The silence suggests to me that the level of confidence/certainty of the earlier posts might have been overstated.

31 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

Yes, and that has not gone unnoticed there either! If something has changed since he originally posted about this stuff, of course no one could've seen that coming. But if he knew that something was in the works with as much certainty as he indicated, then he also must know at least something now about what's going on (or not going on). The silence suggests to me that the level of confidence/certainty of the earlier posts might have been overstated.

That’s a nice way of saying...it’s most likely all BS.  

On 10/16/2018 at 4:34 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

You guys act like there couldn't be a release date for next Christmas. This is Jimmy "hold out" Page after all.

Edit: And it's not like a new Led Zeppelin live album is gonna be the hot new toy every kid wants. I don't think they'd even worry about a holiday release.

It could certainly be next Christmas for a live release.  We all saw how long the 02 live release took.  It's not like any of them are hurting for money but that would be so disappointing. 

Archived