Jimmy Page loans tapestries to Tate Britain

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page loans tapestries to Tate Britain

The founder of Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Page, says he was "influenced" by the work of influential 19th Century artist, Edward Burne-Jones.

The legendary guitarist has loaned huge tapestries of the Holy Grail to Tate Britain for a new exhibition of Burne-Jones' work.

Listen to the full Today programme podcast here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertainment-arts-45941944/led-zeppelin-s-jimmy-page-loans-tapestries-to-tate-britain

----------------------

jimmy-page-burne-jones-2210a.JPG

jimmy-page-burne-jones-2210b.jpg

jimmy-page-burne-jones-2210c.JPG

jimmy-page-burne-jones-2210d.jpg

Rock legend Jimmy Page has loaned a pair of large tapestries from his private collection to a major new exhibition at the Tate.

The former Led Zeppelin guitarist was at Tate Britain to see the rare works by Edward Burne-Jones installed before they go on show at the biggest retrospective of the Pre-Raphaelite artist in decades. The tapestries, showing scenes from legends of King Arthur and the search for the Holy Grail, are among 150 works in the exhibition.

Curator Alison Smith, who showed the musician around the show, said: “When he came in he did ask when was the last time Burne-Jones was seen on this scale in London and I had to remind him the last big show was 1975 at the Hayward — and at the Tate the last time we presented Burne-Jones was 1933, the centenary of his birth, so these opportunities are few and far between.”

Ms Smith, who has spent three years working on the show, said Page “was  particularly impressed by the way it was lit and the colours.” She added: “When people come to this show they’ll get the Burne-Jones bug.” 

The tapestries, both made between 1890 and 1894, are called The Attainment: The Vision of the Holy Grail to Sir Galahad, Sir Bors and Sir Perceval, and The Arming and Departure of the Knights of the Round Table on the Quest for the Holy Grail.

Page, who helped Led Zeppelin become one of the world’s biggest bands with tracks such as Stairway To Heaven and Whole Lotta Love, is a devoted fan of the Pre-Raphaelite movement which Burne-Jones was associated with. He has previously  spoken of how he first felt “connected” to 19th century painters like Dante Gabriel Rossetti when he was still at school before going on to art college and becoming a musician. David Bowie also credited Burne-Jones with  influencing his gender-bending style. 

The Tate show opens this Wednesday and runs until February 24

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/arts/jimmy-page-burne-jones-tate-a3967786.html

Isn't there a photo from the early 80's of Jimmy leaning on a pool/snooker table looking more than a little inebriated in front of one of those tapestries (the long one with the building with the open door at the right hand side)?

3 hours ago, woz70 said:

Isn't there a photo from the early 80's of Jimmy leaning on a pool/snooker table looking more than a little inebriated in front of one of those tapestries (the long one with the building with the open door at the right hand side)?

The photo you're referring to was taken at the Old Mill House, on 8/31/81 I believe. It's a snooker table. I have the photo but it's inaccessible to me at the moment. I don't specifically recall this tapestry being the one behind him, but I do recall there is a tapestry behind him so it very well could be.

3 hours ago, woz70 said:

jimmy1982rt8-1.jpg.58e1f7ee425be34bd845fe6d9b0cc593.jpg

3 hours ago, Paganini said:

Only Jimmy would be into this stuff-and man he’s looking very trim these days —must be all that poetry he’s reading 

It has to be said Page has a lot more of a "hinterland" than many rock stars. I've seen rockers interviewed, naming no names, who are incredibly inarticulate and have no interests at all beyond getting high and laid, but then there's Jimmy with his pre-Raphaelite art and Robert with his interest in Welsh mythology & Roman Britain!

On 10/27/2018 at 3:16 PM, 76229 said:

It has to be said Page has a lot more of a "hinterland" than many rock stars. I've seen rockers interviewed, naming no names, who are incredibly inarticulate and have no interests at all beyond getting high and laid, but then there's Jimmy with his pre-Raphaelite art and Robert with his interest in Welsh mythology & Roman Britain!

As someone once declared  ..”I’m a man of wealth and taste......”

Archived