The Best blues song ever made by Zeppelin.

strombringer101

Led Zeppelin in the beginning was known as heavy blues rock band before Houses Of The Holy. 

Some people thing Led Zeppelin 3 "Since Ive been loving you" is Zeppelins best or maybe a couple of tracks off Led Zeppelin 1. (you shook me, or How many more times) For me I believe Led Zeppelin hit their peak with the blues with one song that stands as the best Led Zeppelin blues song. That song would be : When The Levee Breaks: Off their fourth untitled album. The structure of that tune is simply amazing and the drum beat that started the industrial Revolution has been sampled by 100s of hip artiest. the last section at the 2:00 minute mark is the making of ROCK.    

1 hour ago, Virginia said:

They didn't write it, but early "I can't quit you baby" is one of my favorites. 

+1. I've always thought "I Can't Quit You" was Jimmy's showcase song that really allowed him to rip some mean blues riffs. The versions in 73 during the WLL medleys were just brutal.

15 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Travelling Riverside Blues. Made up on the spot for one of the BBC studio gigs. How can you make that kind of song up on the spot?!?!?!

Because they were professional musicians, improvisation/interpretation experts.

I'm not convinced they made it up 'on the spot', there's a fair bit of arranging involved in that song & I'm guessing the riff had come from an earlier jam, it was 100% rehearsed by the band prior to the take we've all heard.

8 minutes ago, Mook said:

I'm not convinced they made it up 'on the spot', there's a fair bit of arranging involved in that song & I'm guessing the riff had come from an earlier jam, it was 100% rehearsed by the band prior to the take we've all heard.

I'm with you ... Plus it has overdubs.

Since I've Been Loving You is my vote!!!

On 10/31/2018 at 4:43 PM, rm2551 said:

Travelling Riverside Blues. Made up on the spot for one of the BBC studio gigs. How can you make that kind of song up on the spot?!?!?!

Jimmy has said in interviews that he made up the guitar break on the spot.  That is certainly believable.

As much as I like Tea for One and Levee, I think SIBLY is their best blues number by far.  It has everything, and as the reviewer in Time magazine said it has more soul than a revival meeting, and a "certain kind of stamp" that makes it uniquely Zeppelin.    It is perfect in every respect.

1 hour ago, chef free said:

Since I've Been Loving You is the most original blues by the band.  Most of the others have references to traditional blues songs, this one is pure Zeppelin!

Agreed 

R😎👍

On 11/1/2018 at 11:52 AM, cosmic_juice said:

I'm with you ... Plus it has overdubs.

Since I've Been Loving You is my vote!!!

It was not made up on the spot. It's another of Pages lose interpretations based on A song by Johnny Winter called I'm yours and I'm hers 

I swear Jimmy has said that TRB was basically made up for that gig on that day, but I concede that is a stretch. But I swear he does say it in an interview (can't source it, maybe SAJ can shed light?)

Anyway, it still is a cracking blues number. HMMT from RAH also is a strong contender as is SIBLY from TSRTS. The Lemon Song and You Shook Me from BBC Sessions too. Jeeeez those guys could kill it with blues numbers....

*Edit - ok, listened to a few tracks.

In My Time Of Dying.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:43 AM, chef free said:

Since I've Been Loving You is the most original blues by the band.  Most of the others have references to traditional blues songs, this one is pure Zeppelin!

Via Moby Grape.

8 hours ago, Canadianzepper said:

If you want to consider When the Levee Breaks blues (I think only the lyrics were borrowed, the music and arrangement are drastically different, even non-comparable), than this is your winner in my opinion.

Not really blues though.

On 10/30/2018 at 7:02 PM, strombringer101 said:

Led Zeppelin in the beginning was known as heavy blues rock band before Houses Of The Holy. 

Some people thing Led Zeppelin 3 "Since Ive been loving you" is Zeppelins best or maybe a couple of tracks off Led Zeppelin 1. (you shook me, or How many more times) For me I believe Led Zeppelin hit their peak with the blues with one song that stands as the best Led Zeppelin blues song. That song would be : When The Levee Breaks: Off their fourth untitled album. The structure of that tune is simply amazing and the drum beat that started the industrial Revolution has been sampled by 100s of hip artiest. the last section at the 2:00 minute mark is the making of ROCK.    

I never been a fan of WTLB as one of Zeppelin's best songs. There's nothing wrong with WTLB, but, it is what it is, and I don't revere it the way fans AND critics do.

Best LZ Blues: SIBLY from TSRTS

Archived