Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
strombringer101

The Best blues song ever made by Zeppelin.

I'm Gonna Crawl is 'Zeppelin blues' at its finest. And, the solo is one of Page's greatest ever recorded. The word 'sublime' sums it up very nicely.

9 hours ago, cosmic_juice said:

When the Levee Breaks IS a blues song and based on a country blues at that... Each verse drones through an open chord country blues drone. Explain to me why its not???

Because no actual traditional blues song really sounded like that, plus you've got the chorus parts that aren't blues at all. It's a rock song with some slide guitar. Hat's Off To Roy Harper is a blues song. I'd even argue that IMTOD isn't a blues song. There's a line that gets crossed from blues to rock and I think both those songs cross it.

8 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

I'm Gonna Crawl is 'Zeppelin blues' at its finest. And, the solo is one of Page's greatest ever recorded. The word 'sublime' sums it up very nicely.

One of My Fav solos of all time! :yesnod:

Since I've Been Loving You! I heard the Moby Grape tune which obviously inspired this song, but what can I say? Zeppelin took a half baked idea from Moby Grape and fully developed it on a whole different level. This might be my favorite Led Zeppelin song. The live version from TSRTS is the best I've heard and I've heard many bootlegs. Many. After SIBLY, I might have to go to I'm Gonna Crawl. It's bluesy, not strictly the blues, but it's close enough. In my opinion, the guitar solo is the best Jimmy recorded since Zeppelin Four. It's a masterpiece. Great to know that Jimmy still had it in 1979 because as you all know, his playing lost a lot of its magic by then. After these two songs, I would have to say that either I Can't Quit You Baby or You Shook Me and I base that off of the live versions from 69. Before Zeppelin released the BBC Sessions, I actually had them as bootlegs and I was blown away by the how awesome Zeppelin covered those two tunes live. I was new to Zeppelin then (1988) and was shocked to realize that they played straight up blues!

TEA FOR ONE, followed by I'm Gonna Crawl. :run:

On 11/1/2018 at 11:52 AM, cosmic_juice said:

I'm with you ... Plus it has overdubs.

Since I've Been Loving You is my vote!!!

Same!

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:58 PM, rm2551 said:

I swear Jimmy has said that TRB was basically made up for that gig on that day, but I concede that is a stretch. But I swear he does say it in an interview (can't source it, maybe SAJ can shed light?)

The song was produced by John Walters at the BBC studios in Aeolian Hall on June 24, 1969. Page overdubbed extra guitar tracks onto the track, and it was broadcast four days later on John Peel's Top Gear show under the title "Travelling Riverside Blues '69", and repeated on January 11, 1970.

It is quite different from the original, and it is more a tribute to Robert Johnson than a straight cover. Lyrically, Plant quotes many Robert Johnson songs, such as "She studies evil all the time", from "Kind Hearted Woman Blues", and "Why don't you come on in my kitchen", from "Come On In My Kitchen".

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

. Lyrically, Plant quotes many Robert Johnson songs, such as "She studies evil all the time", from "Kind Hearted Woman Blues", and "Why don't you come on in my kitchen", from "Come On In My Kitchen".

Don't forget the infamous lemon squeezing.