Led Zeppelin vs Deep Purple

Balthazor

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:14 AM, John M said:

As fantastic as Made in Japan is, I prefer the playing and sound on the three live bonus tracks on the reissue of the Concerto for Group and Orchestra, from Sept 1969.  The bonus disc has only  Hush, Wring that Neck, and Child in Time, but they are all superb.  I wish there was a full length Purple only concert from that performance but of course it was just an opening before they played the Concerto with the orchestra.  If you don't have this double CD seek it out.  The whole thing is amazing.  This was about 9 months before In Rock was released with Child in Time.

Nice version, but nowhere near as good as this one:

16 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

:rolleyes:

The amount of songs, where the lift is very direct and obvious is very small, far, far less then some youtube videos are trying to suggest and I think only such song count and beyond Zep II, there are almost no such songs! 

Things like Communication breakdown and How many more times don' t come in question. Riffs in CB and HMMT are Jimmy's and melodies are original, so are the lyrics, especially in CB. There are many similar examples. So I think it is a small amount because only things like Dazed and confused and Whole lotta love count, despite the original things added. You can't count things like intro to Rock and roll or The Lemon song or Bring it on home even, they could have left the intro/outro out. But there are certainly lots of little bits and pieces and lyrics verses in many songs, that are integrated into the whole original picture.

• 7 months later...
17 hours ago, Dario said:

Some facts for the Wikipedia people.

136EB3BF-005C-45C4-8EB5-59AB03FAF389.jpeg

7ECD4D87-F311-4AFA-B9F6-B54BB2310D06.jpeg

I question some of those figures in that article...it sounds like marketing promo hype. 25 million sold of one record in one year? I don't buy that for a second. I've looked at their RIAA numbers and other sales stats. It doesn't add up.

I was at Cal Jam. Deep Purple were okay but they didn't blow anyone away. And they were pretty much forgotten once Emerson, Lake & Palmer took the stage.

Edited by Strider

58 minutes ago, Strider said:

I question some of those figures in that article...it sounds like marketing promo hype. 25 million sold of one record in one year? I don't buy that for a second. I've looked at their RIAA numbers and other sales stats. It doesn't add up.

I was at Cal Jam. Deep Purple were okay but they didn't blow anyone away. And they were pretty much forgotten once Emerson, Lake & Palmer took the stage.

Are you speaking for all of the 300,000 some in attendance that day? Out of curiosity, how old were you when you attended that show?

18 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Are you speaking for all of the 300,000 some in attendance that day? Out of curiosity, how old were you when you attended that show?

Agree....the Cal Jam performance of "Burn" is one of the greatest rock moments of all time (IMHO).  And I'd take Deep Purple Mark III over any prog band any day!

3 hours ago, badgeholder said:

I was at Cal Jam. I was sixteen. I thought both Sabbath and Purple were great. That MK III lineup is my favorite. I left during ELP. 

What a lucky man you were.

7 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Agree....the Cal Jam performance of "Burn" is one of the greatest rock moments of all time (IMHO).  And I'd take Deep Purple Mark III over any prog band any day!

Any fan of the MK III lineup should get a copy of "Graz !975". It was one of their last concerts, April 1975, just before Mr. Blackmore left. You won´t find better versions of Burn & Stormbringer.

6 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

What a lucky man you were.

Any fan of the MK III lineup should get a copy of "Graz !975". It was one of their last concerts, April 1975, just before Mr. Blackmore left. You won´t find better versions of Burn & Stormbringer. 

Yeah, all of those live ones, Paris and London also, great stuff 

On 7/3/2019 at 6:55 AM, Stryder1978 said:

Deep Purple is a fantastic band, so was Richie Blackmore 🌈 risings Album. 

You caught my attention when you said best progrock band. Deep purple I don’t see them as pro rock as such as I see Yes, or ElP. John lord is an amazing keyboard player but the guys from Peter Gabriel Genesis blow Deep purple out of the water when it comes to art rock prog rock... Supers Ready, Lamb lies Down on Broadway, Selling England by the pound, Fox Trot. 

Peter Gabriel 

Phil Collins drummer

Mike Rutherford

Steve Hackett

Tony Banks 

the forgotten band that shaped music beyond anything I’ve heard.

13 floor elevators RIP.

On 7/2/2019 at 12:24 PM, Strider said:

Does that bother you?

Can you prove they didn’t sold 25 million of just one album ,is the wiki your only source?

cal jam is just your personal opinion,they were stars of the night.

Here’s another prove for you.

If Machine head sold over 15 millions,then Made in Japan outsold it.

8E2544D4-EA3E-4040-93B9-B7D633C499D5.jpeg

Edited by Dario

3 hours ago, Dario said:

Does that bother you?

Can you prove they didn’t sold 25 million of just one album ,is the wiki your only source?

cal jam is just your personal opinion,they were stars of the night.

Here’s another prove for you.

If Machine head sold over 15 millions,then Made in Japan outsold it.

8E2544D4-EA3E-4040-93B9-B7D633C499D5.jpeg

Awww...I totally forgot about this kerfuffle. Thank you for replying as I would not have known where to look.

This is just Deep Purple fanboys going against Led Zeppelin fanboys. You are not going to convince a Deep Purple head that Led Zeppelin was better than Deep Purple any more than you will convince a Zephead that Purple was better.

But your articles are still full of bogus numbers and record company hype, Dario. I don't use Wiki as a source for anything. I use RIAA stats, Billboard, Cash Box and British charts, and Deep Purple websites.

Of course my thoughts on Cal Jam are my own personal opinion. I was just having a wind up. Deep Purple had their moments (Glenn Hughes was a revelation) that day...as did Black Sabbath and ELP and Rare Earth. Frankly, I was glad when it ended. It was a long day and I was tired and exhausted and uncomfortable for most of it...and the sound was hit and miss. It confirmed my dislike for giant, outdoor festival type shows...especially ones at Ontario Motor Speedway.  I chose not to go to Cal Jam II for that very reason.

Anyway, I have already spent more time on Deep Purple than I care to spend. I could show you reams and reams of facts that show DP's record sales are inflated in those articles but who cares...it's still not going to change your mind. So why bother?

If some people like DP more than LZ, more power to them. I leave this thread for good now. \m/

Edited by Strider

• 3 months later...

My take on Zep vs Purple is this.  I think that Purple had more precision than Zep.  Zep more wild and loose.  I saw Purple live a couple of years ago.  I did not feel the magic as much.  

I listen to way more Zep than Purple.  Jon Lord's Keys are very key to Purple's sound.  Almost like having another guitar around, but disguised as a Keyboard.  

Edited by McSeven

• 1 year later...

Robert Plant's  OPINION

Quote from the 70's:

"W ere just sO much better than WHOEVER is number 2"

sO cocky,sO funny,sO True!

Honistly from what ive read over the yrs when it comes down to it (now i dont know which  super group member of the 70's said this 2nd Quote):

"Basicly we were all just battling each other for the number 2 position without even saying ,EVERYONE KNEW who #1 was!"