How do the latest Zeppelin Books stack up

thesuperlloyd

One on top of the other, I imagine... ;)

But really, what are people's thoughts about the following books, and any others recently released?

Led Zeppelin by Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin: Day by Day by Marc Roberty

Evenings with Led Zeppelin by Dave Lewis

Led Zeppelin Live By Terry O'Neill

Assuming you could only buy one (or maybe two), which would it be?

Also, how similar/different are the Roberty and Lewis books?

Cheers,

Lloyd

Edited by thesuperlloyd
error in original

As I have only seen one briefly of the books, I can not really answer.

Dave Lewis has a good eye for small details.

The Books by photographers tend to get rated on any new/unseen pics.

Most books by a music journalist tend to rather upset the band or forum, usually both at the same.....

Not much help I know, but have fun around here Lloyd...

I really like the Led Zep by Led Zep book.  I understand the critical comments about it on this forum, but I was not expecting much  in the text (because they have always been so guarded in their comments) , and what is there is interesting.  The photos are fantastic and I  like the fact that the band chose them.  That tells me something.  My favorite photos are the ones where you can see the band and the crowd at the same time.  They always give a more complete picture of the scene - the place and time.   I think the book is a fitting tribute and a great thing for fans of the band.  I am really glad they did it and it is well worth the price.

The Roberty book is a big disappointment.  The Lewis book is far superior in terms of press clippings and other details about  shows.  It also has more photos of venues, tickets, ads, flyers and posters.  The only thing Roberty has over Lewis is that Roberty has some very limited information about recording dates, but not really day by day, more general like month by month.  I was very disappointed in that aspect of the book because it was what I was looking forward to - details on recording sessions.  So if you want a detailed tour chronology the Lewis book is much better than Roberty.  I always wished for a Zep recording book like the fantastic book about the Beatles recording sessions but Zep did not always record in the same place in a professional studio that had meticulous record keeping.  That Beatles recording sessions book is so fascinating and so detailed.

On 11/21/2018 at 6:00 AM, thesuperlloyd said:

Led Zeppelin: Day by Day by Marc Roberty

I went back to this again - it had been while.  It is better than I recalled in my earlier post above.  It does have some recording dates (specifically the first two albums), some good photos and some interesting press quotes , etc.  Not as comprehensive at the Lewis book but a well done hardcover volume.   I got it new for around $30.

One thing I forgot it had is good details on their various guest appearances on other artists albums.  For example,  Jones writing, playing, arranging and producing Madelaine  Bell, with Mo Jones on backing vocals !

• 1 month later...

Evenings with Led Zeppelin by Dave Lewis and Mike Tremaglio is fantastic.   It is all about the concerts with great details on venues, capacity, recordings, etc.  Alot of venue photos and historical information on the venues.  Gives you a sense of the times.  Lots of photos of tickets, flyers, posters, and ads.  .An amazing amount of press reviews from the time.  Be forewarned, many of the press reviews are negative but they are very interesting and telling in their own right.  The positive press reviews are terrific.

There is nothing about road stories or rumors.  I am glad for that.  This book has one focus and the authors nailed it.

One of the more fascinating things is all the detail on groups that Zeppelin opened for, or who opened for Zeppelin, or who shared the stage with them at festivals.  The festival information often includes day by day and hour by hour schedules.  Helps us to see what an amazing time it was in 1969-70. 

So it depends what type of book you want.  This book is a treasure trove of documented facts that tell the story of every Zeppelin concert, including interesting details on cancelled show as well.  A high quality hardback publication that is well worth the money.

Edited by John M

• 5 weeks later...

Evenings with Led Zeppelin - as I continue reading and re-reading it, I realize that Dave Lewis and Mike Tremaglio have done an outstanding job of selecting press reviews of shows.  The reviews run the full gamut from very negative to completely positive with a good mix of in between views.  It is fascinating to read so many different perspectives from the times.  This book is essential.

• 1 month later...

Led Zeppelin  : Expanded Edition : All the Albums All the Songs : Martin Popoff

just got this yesterday; walked into local bookshop, not expecting to find anything as the JP book is sold out ... grabbed this ... fabulous photos .. one of JPJ on p78 tuning guitar, in animal pants.  Popoff loves writing about metal and has a great sense of humour.  Often mentions keys and riffs.  Unlike the library books, as this is mine, can envisage writing in 2B pencil alongside the writing. 

• 2 years later...
On 1/11/2019 at 7:46 AM, John M said:

Evenings with Led Zeppelin by Dave Lewis and Mike Tremaglio is fantastic.   It is all about the concerts with great details on venues, capacity, recordings, etc.  Alot of venue photos and historical information on the venues.  Gives you a sense of the times.  Lots of photos of tickets, flyers, posters, and ads.  .An amazing amount of press reviews from the time.  Be forewarned, many of the press reviews are negative but they are very interesting and telling in their own right.  The positive press reviews are terrific.

There is nothing about road stories or rumors.  I am glad for that.  This book has one focus and the authors nailed it.

One of the more fascinating things is all the detail on groups that Zeppelin opened for, or who opened for Zeppelin, or who shared the stage with them at festivals.  The festival information often includes day by day and hour by hour schedules.  Helps us to see what an amazing time it was in 1969-70. 

So it depends what type of book you want.  This book is a treasure trove of documented facts that tell the story of every Zeppelin concert, including interesting details on cancelled show as well.  A high quality hardback publication that is well worth the money.

For those of you who missed the first edition of this amazing book, a second edition is going to be released on September 23rd. It's currently available for pre-order on Amazon. I talked to Mike Tremaglio, one of the authors and a long time friend, about it recently and he said there will be 48 new pages and most of the existing pages have been updated. Even if you already have the first edition, this new one sounds like it will be worth picking up, and if you weren't able to get the first one, definitely make sure you get the second edition.

https://www.amazon.com/Evenings-Led-Zeppelin-Complete-Chronicle/dp/1913172392

51MC4fI1YZL._SX380_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by SteveZ98