Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Christopher Lees

New Shows Never Been Heard Before?

Recommended Posts

Have their been any new releases in the last few years of shows that had never previously been heard? There must be some out there! When was the last time a new show appeared?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the last ones were the soundboard for 3/3/75 and the incomplete audience tape for Detroit 8/28/70. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pluribus said:

I think the last ones were the soundboard for 3/3/75 and the incomplete audience tape for Detroit 8/28/70. 

What songs exist from the Detroit 1970 show just curious haven’t checked it out yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2018 at 11:35 AM, pluribus said:

I think the last ones were the soundboard for 3/3/75 and the incomplete audience tape for Detroit 8/28/70. 

When did they first surface? 2018? There was a time in the late 90s and early 2000s where previously unreleased, unheard shows were coming out. That was exciting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Christopher Lees said:

When did they first surface? 2018? There was a time in the late 90s and early 2000s where previously unreleased, unheard shows were coming out. That was exciting!

Not sure about the Detroit '70 show, but Fort Worth '75 came out in late 2015.  And yes, I remember that period (late 90's-early 00's), we got 2nd Chicago, Salt Lake City, San Diego and Denver (fragment) from '73, St Louis and 2nd San Diego from '75, and I'm pretty sure Orlando '71 was from that period as well.  That was indeed a gold rush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2018 at 9:18 AM, JohnOsbourne said:

Not sure about the Detroit '70 show, but Fort Worth '75 came out in late 2015.  And yes, I remember that period (late 90's-early 00's), we got 2nd Chicago, Salt Lake City, San Diego and Denver (fragment) from '73, St Louis and 2nd San Diego from '75, and I'm pretty sure Orlando '71 was from that period as well.  That was indeed a gold rush.

Didn't we also get 9-19-70 at that time? You have a great memory. A lot of those did come out at that time.

So nothing since 2015? I just love when never heard before shows come out and that also happen to be among the best of the tour and in good audio. There used to be a website, Underground Uprising, that carefully documented all the new releases coming out. I could rely on that site to stay up to date but I just checked (first time in forever) and they're not online anymore. That's where I used to go back in the day for all the bootleg reviews. I probably make a safe assumption that when a never before heard show is released, it makes quite the buzz on this site, among this tight community, but using the search function to find such threads later on is nearly impossible, unfortunately.

My wish list is for something pre Gonzaga '68 to come out, or Aug 27, 1969 Hampton Beach NH (my beach growing up and I still go there all the time) or any 5-star performance/decent recording thereafter. Of course, everyone wants to hear the legendary 4 hour show from the Boston Tea Party (right now the boot I have is only the standard two sets common to the era) and the rest of the Bath '70 show, in good audio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has it ever actually been confirmed that they played 4 hours at the Tea Party ?  That just has to be an urban legend unless they played their entire set list twice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, drpete said:

Has it ever actually been confirmed that they played 4 hours at the Tea Party ?  That just has to be an urban legend unless they played their entire set list twice

I'm more inclined to believe people there and them themselves....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, drpete said:

Has it ever actually been confirmed that they played 4 hours at the Tea Party ?  That just has to be an urban legend unless they played their entire set list twice

Imagine how many covers they had in their repertoire 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, drpete said:

Has it ever actually been confirmed that they played 4 hours at the Tea Party ?  That just has to be an urban legend unless they played their entire set list twice

It's never been confirmed and in fact it is suspected that if the show did indeed take place, it happened in May rather than in January. There was a journalist named Ellen Sander who traveled with the band in May of that year and wrote that she saw the band backstage at their final gig at the Boston Tea Party trying to come up with more songs to play after the crowd was begging for more after three encores. The book in which this was published, "Trips: Rock Life In The Sixties", came out only four years later in 1973, whereas Jonesy's interviews on the subject are decades after the fact.

As for whether or not they actually played four hours, I think what most likely happened was that the band played their normal two sets followed by a few covers to placate the audience demanding more, and from the time the band took the stage for their first set to the time they left after their second set, four and a half hours had passed. That seems more plausible than them playing four and a half hours straight through. Even for something like 1977 that'd be a stretch! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

It's never been confirmed and in fact it is suspected that if the show did indeed take place, it happened in May rather than in January. There was a journalist named Ellen Sander who traveled with the band in May of that year and wrote that she saw the band backstage at their final gig at the Boston Tea Party trying to come up with more songs to play after the crowd was begging for more after three encores. The book in which this was published, "Trips: Rock Life In The Sixties", came out only four years later in 1973, whereas Jonesy's interviews on the subject are decades after the fact.

As for whether or not they actually played four hours, I think what most likely happened was that the band played their normal two sets followed by a few covers to placate the audience demanding more, and from the time the band took the stage for their first set to the time they left after their second set, four and a half hours had passed. That seems more plausible than them playing four and a half hours straight through. Even for something like 1977 that'd be a stretch! :lol:

I agree with the second half of your comment.  People show up at 7/8 things progress with intermission and encore break and everyone leaves at 11/12 which sounds about right for most venues.  Is it possible that she was mistaken?  From what I've read the show in question is said to be January 26th. I can't remember exactly where I read it but Sunday was also mentioned and Plant thanks the audience for coming out on a Sunday.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hummingbird69 said:

I agree with the second half of your comment.  People show up at 7/8 things progress with intermission and encore break and everyone leaves at 11/12 which sounds about right for most venues.  Is it possible that she was mistaken?  From what I've read the show in question is said to be January 26th. I can't remember exactly where I read it but Sunday was also mentioned and Plant thanks the audience for coming out on a Sunday.   

It's certainly possible that she was mistaken and the show really did take place on January 26th. But JPJ's account has some inconsistencies. Most notably, he claimed that after the show, Peter Grant picked all four of them up and hugged them because he knew they were gonna make it. But according to Grant, he wasn't there:

Quote

I couldn't go with them, but it was a fantastic 12 date tour, and they said "Great, if that's what we've gotta do, we'll go and do it" ... Three of the group had never been to America before and didn't know what to expect. They did a week with the Vanilla Fudge. My instructions were for them to go over there and blast them out. Make each performance something everybody remembered. They really did that.

Although I suppose he could have joined them midway through the tour. I'm not sure. Him saying that it was a 12 date tour when it was really a 36 date tour could have meant he joined them after the first 12 gigs. Or maybe he was misremembering.

Either way, this is probably a case, as I said, of JPJ remembering that four and a half hours had passed since they first took the stage, and then through the years changing it in his mind into them playing four and a half hours consecutively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Christopher Lees said:

Didn't we also get 9-19-70 at that time? You have a great memory. A lot of those did come out at that time.

So nothing since 2015? I just love when never heard before shows come out and that also happen to be among the best of the tour and in good audio. There used to be a website, Underground Uprising, that carefully documented all the new releases coming out. I could rely on that site to stay up to date but I just checked (first time in forever) and they're not online anymore. That's where I used to go back in the day for all the bootleg reviews. I probably make a safe assumption that when a never before heard show is released, it makes quite the buzz on this site, among this tight community, but using the search function to find such threads later on is nearly impossible, unfortunately.

My wish list is for something pre Gonzaga '68 to come out, or Aug 27, 1969 Hampton Beach NH (my beach growing up and I still go there all the time) or any 5-star performance/decent recording thereafter. Of course, everyone wants to hear the legendary 4 hour show from the Boston Tea Party (right now the boot I have is only the standard two sets common to the era) and the rest of the Bath '70 show, in good audio.

I'm not aware of any previously unheard show since Fort Worth, no.  Almost certainly the "revolution" source has Houston '75 and Greensboro '77, and probably Baton Rouge '77, so there's a few more that should see the light of day eventually.  As far as partial releases, I've always been surprised (and very disappointed) that the first half of 7-27-73 has never shown up, you would think it exists (apart from Page's vault).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZepHead315 said:

It's certainly possible that she was mistaken and the show really did take place on January 26th. But JPJ's account has some inconsistencies. Most notably, he claimed that after the show, Peter Grant picked all four of them up and hugged them because he knew they were gonna make it. But according to Grant, he wasn't there:

Although I suppose he could have joined them midway through the tour. I'm not sure. Him saying that it was a 12 date tour when it was really a 36 date tour could have meant he joined them after the first 12 gigs. Or maybe he was misremembering.

Either way, this is probably a case, as I said, of JPJ remembering that four and a half hours had passed since they first took the stage, and then through the years changing it in his mind into them playing four and a half hours consecutively.

In a bio I'm reading right now about the band, "When Giants Walked the Earth" by Mick Wall, it said that Grant told the boys they would have to miss Christmas at home because of the show on Dec 26, and then had to tell them that he wasn't coming. He was staying home to have Christmas with family, but as you read about the first tour, you hear a lot about Grant's various interactions with the band. Since the Boston Tea Party show in question was apparently on January 26, 1969, it seems that Grant certainly had the time to join the band by then. Without consulting the book (because I'm too lazy to go and get it right now), I figure that Grant really only stayed home for Christmas and then immediately joined the band thereafter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Christopher Lees said:

In a bio I'm reading right now about the band, "When Giants Walked the Earth" by Mick Wall, it said that Grant told the boys they would have to miss Christmas at home because of the show on Dec 26, and then had to tell them that he wasn't coming. He was staying home to have Christmas with family, but as you read about the first tour, you hear a lot about Grant's various interactions with the band. Since the Boston Tea Party show in question was apparently on January 26, 1969, it seems that Grant certainly had the time to join the band by then. Without consulting the book (because I'm too lazy to go and get it right now), I figure that Grant really only stayed home for Christmas and then immediately joined the band thereafter.

That makes sense. I wasn't when/if Grant rejoined them so I appreciate the information. 

This makes me wonder if the band played two marathon shows at the Boston Tea Party: one on January 26th and one for the last show in May. I still don't think it was four and a half straight hours, but if nothing else, I'd love a complete recording for both shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Grant biography, The Man Who Led Zeppelin: "...Peter Grant actually missed the group's first date on American soil: "I had to tell them to fly out on December 24 and I caught up with them at the Fillmore West.""

So, sounds like Grant was there at the Boston Tea Party shows in January.  Personally, I think the 4 1/2 hour show was probably one of the May 69 concerts, if it happened at all. Based on the caliber of the April Fillmore San Francisco performances, I would imagine that they could've pulled off a marathon set in May. The January version of Zeppelin was still so "new".

Speaking of those Boston concerts, not sure if it's common knowledge, but it turns out the Zeppelin recording dated for May 27/28 1969 is mis-dated and is really from one of the January 1969 Tea Party gigs.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As mentioned, Grant was most definitely at the January '69 Tea Party gigs.

This quote from JPJ in "Peter Grant: The Man Who Led Zeppelin" book --

John Paul Jones: “We played for hours. We did old Beatles numbers, Chuck Berry, anything. It was the greatest night. We knew we had definitely done it by then.”"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×