Top Ten Best and Worst Led Zeppelin Songs

A little while ago, me and a friend, both of us long time Zeppelin fans (over 30 years, played in Zep tribute bands etc...) decided to rate in order all of Zep's tunes from the original 9 albums (Not TSRTS). It was pretty tough and our lists required a lot of revising. Some interesting observations came to light after this. For instance, I asked my friend which album he ranked higher, Led Zeppelin III or Physical Graffiti. He answered, "That's pretty easy. Physical Graffiti". But, when I looked at where he ranked each of the tunes from both albums and averaged them, it turns out that Zeppelin 3 ranked higher than PG for him. Lots of interesting insights from doing this!

I can imagine that somewhere on this forum there are top ten lists but still, here's how mine ended up turning out. I copied them straight from my excel sheet where I did all my work.

Top Ten Best Zeppelin Songs

image.png.de326d6d483400ffcbdb486fe78e0e07.png

Top Ten Worst Zeppelin Songs

image.png.d4b04d39e57ac320fbadb2e36a43a2b2.png

Just a word about the Top Ten Worst - These songs ended up here by process of elimination. I had put the list together and a few songs ended up on the bottom. After all, it's a list and a list has a bottom by definition, so something needs to be there, but I didn't like how it worked out. I thought, "Wait a second, I like that song quite a bit, it can't be on the bottom". So I would grab that song and try to find a place to put it in the list but that was hard too. No matter where I put it, I had to ask myself, "Does this song really belong ahead of this other one right here?" and so it was a long process.

1 hour ago, babysquid said:

And of course it’s all purely subjective and based on your personal taste! 

Of course it is. It would be interesting to see what others have to say.

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

The second list would be better defined as "Top 10 Least best Zeppelin Songs"

You have taken on an impossible challenge I'd say.....

True, but I didn't think that would fit in the title field of the New Topic.

Still, songs are better and worse than one another. Anyone who makes a list like I did, ranking all of the songs, will have a bottom ten too. And looking at the bottom ten right now, if they came out in CD, I would not buy it, but Tea for One and SBS are good songs. I kinda like Walter's Walk too. The riff to Moby Dick and the licks are terrific too. Still, these tunes ended up on the bottom.

On 12/7/2018 at 11:30 AM, MightyLedZeppelin said:

My top ten..."right now" cause other than the top two it changes would be:

Kashmir

Ten Years Gone

Since I've Been Loving You

Stairway To Heaven

When The Levee Breaks

The Song Remains The Same

Achilles Last Stand

In The Light

Over The Hills & Far Away

Gallows Pole

That's a fine looking list.

I would substitute No Quarter in for Achilles Last Stand. 

On 12/7/2018 at 11:30 AM, MightyLedZeppelin said:

My top ten..."right now" cause other than the top two it changes would be:

Kashmir

Ten Years Gone

Since I've Been Loving You

Stairway To Heaven

When The Levee Breaks

The Song Remains The Same

Achilles Last Stand

In The Light

Over The Hills & Far Away

Gallows Pole

A fine list indeed. Kashmir is a favorite of the band's, but it's never been one of my favorites. I crank it up when I hear it on the radio though. Ten Years Gone is a beautiful song with great chords and a bittersweet melody. TSRTS was never a favorite of mine and neither was ALS. I think In the Light is an amazing Zeppelin tune that has Zeppelin written all over it. I wonder how it didn't end up in my top ten? Over the Hills is a favorite of mine.

I guess I liked the riff based songs, songs with great solos (Since, Heartbreaker) and songs with that mystical, medieval, haunting atmosphere and vibe that so many Zeppelin songs have. I also agree that saying "this is my top ten right now" is the right way to say it. My top ten has changed through the years. I had to ask myself which songs I've listened to the most over the years. Best by test, as it were. I think my list reflects that test.

If I went with top 10 Live songs it would look something like this:

In no particular order.....

No Quarter 5/17/75

No Quarter 3/21/75

Thank You 8/31/71

Since I've Been Loving You 3/21/70

Since I've Been Loving You 9/14/71

The Song Remains The Same 6/21/77

Kashmir 2/12/75

Dazed & Confused 9/29/71

Stairway To Heaven 5/3/71

How Many More Times 1/9/70

If I was to do a top 10 for the mighty Zeppelin it would go like this. *

1. When the levee breaks 

2. What is what should never be 

3. Trampled underfoot 

4. For your life

5. Hot’s on for no where

6. Bring it on home

7. Kashmir

8. How many more times

9. Friends

10. In the evening. 

* subject to change.

my least listened songs from Zeppelin.

1. Dyrer maker

2. The crunge 

3. Moby dick

4. Walter Walks

5. Darlen

6. Living loving (she is just a woman)

7. Out on the titles ( the ending drumming is amazing)

8. Stairway to Heaven 

9. Houses of the Holy -song

10. Fool in the rain 

Archived