What are your favorite Christmas movies that aren't really Christmas movies?

kipper

"Bad Santa", "Die Hard", and "Trading Places" definitely come to mind. There's another one that I can't quite remember the name...hmmmm.

"The Ref"! That's what I was trying to think of...Dennis Leary, Kevin Spacey, and Judy Davis.

"Gremlins" and "Better Off Dead" are two good ones from the 1980s.

Some older goodies are "Remember the Night", with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray hooking up four years before their classic team-up in "Double Indemnity"; and John Ford's gem "3 Godfathers".

3 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Does Bad Santa count--haven't seen it in years, but yeah, Billy Bob... :munchies:

i would say Bad Santa is a Christmas movie because it has a happy ending.

2 hours ago, Virginia said:

Love Actually and Die Hard

yes Die Hard would be a Christmas movie that isn't really a Christmas movie.

Or what about the original Poseiden Adventure? Don't they have to climb up a Christmas tree to get out of the dining hall?

1 hour ago, Strider said:

"Bad Santa", "Die Hard", and "Trading Places" definitely come to mind. There's another one that I can't quite remember the name...hmmmm.

"The Ref"! That's what I was trying to think of...Dennis Leary, Kevin Spacey, and Judy Davis.

"Gremlins" and "Better Off Dead" are two good ones from the 1980s.

Some older goodies are "Remember the Night", with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray hooking up four years before their classic team-up in "Double Indemnity"; and John Ford's gem "3 Godfathers".

I love Trading Places. there is some Christmas in that move too.

Anyone ever see Diner?  I love the scene where Kevin Bacon strips down to his underware in the winter to sit in for the stolen baby Jesus in the nativity.

That would be a Christmas movie that isn't really a Christmas movie example too. Diner is probably also a Football movie and a rock and roll movie too.

11 hours ago, Strider said:

John Ford's gem "3 Godfathers".

I recently found that at our recycle store for a buck. It is a gem.

From the 1972 'Tales From The Crypt' with the escaped maniac dressed as Santa. 😄 With sexy Joan Collins.

18 hours ago, ebk said:

Should have been last night - the Friday before Christmas.  I miss Dave...

W O W - what a performance!!! Thanks for posting. The View version is very good, too, but definitely not the same

Archived