The Gov't Mule thread

Reynoldo

I'd say the closest thing to an active Zeppelin-esk group today.

And Warren Haynes plays a mean Jimmy...

Who's seen em live, and which Zep cover did you hear? I've caught When The Levee Breaks and Living Loving Maid. I've always wished for a Since I've Been Loving You, which is excellent live (heard many versions on bootlegs). Also, Mule has a history of pulling out a No Quarter now and then. Just this past Halloween, they performed the entire Houses of the Holy album, start to finish.

I think Warren and the boys might be Zep heads...

Any other Gov't Mule fans out there?

My favorite currently active band. Saw both Fillmore shows last time they were in San Francisco. Even met Warren and Matt at the Saturday night shows!

11/09/07 (Fri) The Fillmore - San Francisco, CA

Set 1: Helter Skelter, Thorazine Shuffle, Time To Confess, Feel Like Breaking Up Somebody's Home, Wandering Child, The Shape I'm In > Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys(with No Quarter solo in the middle), Slackjaw Jezebel, Find The Cost Of Freedom *, Ohio * ^

Set 2: Brighter Days, Like Flies, Champagne & Reefer %, That's What Love Will Make You Do %, Drums > Soulshine Intro > Trampled Underfoot > Soulshine, Thirty Days In The Hole, E: Out Of The Rain, I'll Be The One > I'll Take You There > I'll Be The One>Blue Sky jam

Comment: * with Grace Potter. ^ with Scott Tournet. % with Elvin Bishop.

11/10/07 (Sat) The Fillmore - San Francisco, CA

Set 1: Grinnin' In Your Face, Bad Little Doggie, Streamline Woman, Devil Likes It Slow, No Need To Suffer, Child Of The Earth, Larger Than Life, If 6 Was 9, I Shall Return > Drift Away > I Shall Return, Southern Man *

Set 2: Patchwork Quilt, Beautifully Broken > Bus Stop, Mr. High & Mighty, Brand New Angel, Drums, Reblow Your Mind, I'm A Ram, Mule, E1: Shelter, E2: After Midnight ^

Comment: * with Grace Potter. ^ with Josh Clark on Guitar

I've seen them play SIBLY, Key to the Highway, Voodoo Chile, Wish You Were Here, Tomorrow Never Knows, Keep On Rockin' in the Free World and Revolution at the same show!!! I'm a big Allmans fan too, do you like Derek Trucks?

I'm a big Allmans fan too, do you like Derek Trucks?

DTB is an awesome band. I've seen them many times, and Derek never ceases to amaze me. And when he and Warren are together with the Allmans, it's beyond words. Both guys have distinct styles, are both excellent at their craft, and each blows the audience away with every solo. I'm not sure how much longer the Allmans will be around, as I hear Gregg is having some medical problems. But I guarantee that Derek and Warren will continue to record and tour. I saw Derek with Eric Clapton October of 2006...no offense to EC, but Derek stole the show. I hear Derek is now considering a stint with Carlos Santana. That should be sweet...

I saw a bunch of mule Zep cover videos floating around on youtube a couple of weeks ago

I've caught them quite a few times and the No Quarter cover is amazing. Their Neil Young covers are also special. The Southern Man w/ Chris Robinson in Atlanta a few years ago was one of the best moments I've seen live. Then Greg Allman came out and it was just fantastic.

This past summer at Bonnaroo was probably the best though. To end the first set:

Moby Dick Reprise with John Paul Jones on Bass

Livin' Lovin' Maid with John Paul Jones on Bass

Since I've Been Lovin You with John Paul Jones on Keys

No Quarter with John Paul Jones on Keys

The encore was:

8. Sweetleaf>

9. War Pigs

Unreal. Warren is definitely one of the most enjoyable guitarist I've ever heard. Mule rocks!

• 8 months later...

But why is the Mule considered a "jam" band? I love Gov't Mule, the Grateful Dead and the Allman Brothers but I hate "jam" bands. Phish, Zero, Widespread Panic, Leftover Salmon, etc. not one of them does anything for me. The whole "scene" just turns me off, I guess the music at a Grateful Dead show was good enough for me to be able to ignore all that pseudo-hippie stupidity. (Veggie burrito kind rainbow brother?)

• 2 weeks later...

Mule played Red Rocks during the Democratic convention, I just listened to the bootleg last night. Here's the set:

Set 1 (cd1)

Soulshine 1st Verse and Chorus Gospel Intro 10:12

Larger Than Life 06:22

Mercy On The Criminal 07:06

Don't Step On The Grass Sam 08:18

Time To Confess 08:50

Rocking Horse 09:00

Temporary Saint 05:54

Dear Prudence (w/ Brendan Bayliss) 08:58

War Pigs 07:54

TT = 72:37

Set 2 (cd2)

Beautifully Broken 07:04

When The Music's Over (pt1) 12:33

When The Music's Over (pt2) 04:16

He Ain't Give You None 08:45

For What It's Worth 07:07

Brighter Days 07:41

Drums 04:40

Unring The Bell Get Up, Stand Up Tease 09:58

Brand New Angel 09:01

TT=71:08

Encore: (cd3)

Had To Cry Today 08:57

Morning Dew 11:56

TT = 20:53

• 2 months later...

Hot Mule show last night!

11.21.2008 The Fillmore Theater San Francisco, CA

Set 1

Trane->

Eternity's Breath->

St. Stephen Jam

Banks Of The Deep End

Rocking Horse

Monkey Hill

She Said, She Said->

Tomorrow Never Knows

Trying Not To Fall

Dear Prudence with Davy Knowles

Set 2

War Pigs (Danny Louis on Guitar)

When The Music's Over

Drums

About To Rage

Unring The Bell Get Up, Stand Up tease

How Many More Years Higher Ground tease

Blind Man In The Dark

Encore

All Along The Watchtower with Jeff Coffin

Goin' Out West with Jeff Coffin and Eric McFadden

Nice Saint Stephen jam, they played the song (minus vocals) three times through, first slower than the Dead, next faster and finally at a dizzing double time! An extra long spaced-out jam in Rocking Horse set the tone for the rest of the night. Tomorrow Never Knows extended in weirdness and the Dear Prudence was off the psychedelic feedback scale! The second set started with a long and pretty faithful-to-the-original crowd pleasin' heavy metal crunch-off, everyone "sang" along. Then came a very elongated When the Music's Over, the Lizard King would have been proud. The reggae flavored protest song Unring the Bell morphed into a Get Up, Stand Up jam that had the crowd swaying and sweating. New bass player Jorgen Carlsson proved his worth with his John Paul Jones like heavy foundation in How Many More Years (Times). Encores included a "lounge-jazz" version of Dylan's classic All Along the Watchtower and Tom Waits' Goin' Out West featuring the sax player from the Flecktones who had just finished playing across the street at Yoshi's in Japantown. I had a great time, got home by 2:30 and I'm going back for the last show of the tour tonite.

• 10 months later...

Da Mule finished their tour last night at the Warfield in San Francisco. Enought good cover tunes for everyone?

Friday night's show:

Set 1

Broke Down On The Brazos

Blind Man In The Dark->

Trouble Every Day

She Said, She Said->

Tomorrow Never Knows

Painted Silver Light

No Need To Suffer

I'll Be The One (with long Ramblin' Man jam)

Don't Let Me Down> with Jackie Greene

Sugaree with Jackie Greene

Set 2

Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys with Dave Schools & Eric McFadden

Railroad Boy

Monday Mourning Madness

Forevermore

Wandering Child

Drums

Devil Likes It Slow

I Believe To My Soul

I'm A Ram

Encore with Jackie Greene & Dave Schools

Find The Cost Of Freedom->

Ohio

After Midnight->

Get Out My Life Woman*

That's What Love Will Make You Do*

*with Eric Krasno & Sam "Chicken Wing" Kininger & Ryan Zoidis

Saterday night's show:

Set 1

One Of These Days

Fearless

Wish You Were Here

Thorazine Shuffle

Kind Of Bird

Frozen Fear

Brighter Days

Like Flies

Don't Let It Bring You Down with Jackie Greene>

Loser with Jackie Greene

Set 2

Lola Leave Your Light On

Broke Down On The Brazos

Inside Outside Woman Blues

Any Open Window

Drums

Empty Pages with Jose Neto

Wild Horses with Grace Potter

Take Me To The River with Grace Potter

Mule->

Who Do You Love->

Whole Lotta Love->

Mule

Encore with Jackie Greene

Morning Dew

Southern Man with Grace Potter

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The Warren Haynes 24th annual Christmas Jam is on the axstv channel 340 on Direct TV or axs.tv

This is from the web site:

CHRISTMAS JAM TO AIR ON AXS TV LIVE! Warren Haynes Presents: The 24th Annual Christmas Jam at the US Cellular Center in Asheville, NC is officially SOLD OUT. But if you can't join us in Asheville, we've got great news for you. For the first time in the event's long history, the entire show will be broadcast live on AXS TV, the premier source on television for 100% live music.

So tune in Saturday December 15th at 6:30p EST and see the action as it unfolds in The Civic Center. This year's Xmas Jam features performances from Warren Haynes Band, Sheryl Crow, The String Cheese Incident, Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue and a very special performance by Warren Haynes with The Blind Boys of Alabama, plus special guests including Anders Osborne and Karl Denson.

Edited by zepscoda

The Warren Haynes band is just tearing it up, they just did a smokin Spanish Castle Magic with Karl Denson on sax....I wish I knew more about his band, they are HOT.

Wow, they just did a 20 min cover of Pretzel Logic!

Edited by zepscoda

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...