"Hats Off (to Roy)

kidmoon

Hats off (to Roy Harper)  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like "Hats off (to Roy Harper)"?

• Of course, I have great taste in music!
    • No, but that's because I'm tone-deaf.

SOUNDS LIKE MAYBE BUT I APPRICIATE THE HONESTY OF THE NAY SAYERS OF ROY HARPER WERE ALL ZEP HEADS AND WE ALL HAVE AT LEAST ONE SONG WE DONT CARE FOR HONESTLY I DONT REALLY CARE FOR MOST OF THE ENTIRE ALBUM PRESENSE DOES ANYBODY HEAR ME!!!

SOUNDS LIKE MAYBE BUT I APPRICIATE THE HONESTY OF THE NAY SAYERS OF ROY HARPER WERE ALL ZEP HEADS AND WE ALL HAVE AT LEAST ONE SONG WE DONT CARE FOR HONESTLY I DONT REALLY CARE FOR MOST OF THE ENTIRE ALBUM PRESENSE DOES ANYBODY HEAR ME!!!

We hear you because you're "shouting" in all caps which really isn't necessary. I actually love Presence. It's my favorite Zep cd :D

Get f--cking real dude! Whatever you are smoking, send me lots! Zeppelin is allowed to have one bad song. After all, Pink Floyd had albums before they made it big that arent worth mentioning. And even the Beatles put out alot of trash including the white album which sucks shit in my book. The Stones too. Ten thousand light yrs from fu--ing nowhere.

Get f--cking real dude! Whatever you are smoking, send me lots! Zeppelin is allowed to have one bad song. After all, Pink Floyd had albums before they made it big that arent worth mentioning. And even the Beatles put out alot of trash including the white album which sucks shit in my book. The Stones too. Ten thousand light yrs from fu--ing nowhere.
I happen to disagree with you.

HOTRH is a cool song. White Album is cool too. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I happen to disagree with you.

HOTRH is a cool song. White Album is cool too. :P

i agree with the guy at the top but you dont have to be so offensive.but the guy who made this poll is probably tone deaf

I like it,but it's their worst by far,LZ albums have a tradition of opening and closing with great tracks:

LZ I:GTBT & HMMT -Bang!

LZ II-WLL & BIOH-Wow!

LZ III-Immigrant Song & Hat's Off-WTF?

But after that you have:

LZ IV-Black Dog & WTLB-Amazing

HOTH-TSRTS & The Ocean-Incredible

PG-Custard Pie & Sick Again-Great!

Presence-ALS & T41-Epic!

I'll admit ITTOD was underwhelming,but a great album!

I love it; when I was first getting into Zeppelin it was the first song that demonstrated their real versatility and it has remained a favourite. In fact, there's another thread about how many Zep songs are in your Top 10, this is really high up in my iTunes, but since my iPod got stolen and I'm not on my own computer, I can't answer in that poll at the moment.

Anyway....love it!

• 2 weeks later...

When I first heard Hats Off..., like many of you I said the same thing- WTF?? But now many years later I have a new understanding of the song: my husband, after listening to classic rock for many years, decided to check out the musical influences of his fave artists (Zep, Stones, Clapton etc.) & started listening to recordings by Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Son House & others. The sound quality of these recordings were usually pretty poor, sounding tinny & echoey, and I think that's what Jimmy & Robert were trying to do on this song- to make it sound like an authentic old blues record from the 1930s that they themselves might have listened to when they were discovering blues music (they had also did it before with the beginning of Bring It On Home).

They were obviously going for an authentic bottleneck blues sound, and I think they got it. I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I always liked it. Most importantly, I'm sure Roy Harper must have liked it, too, since it's a tribute to him.

• 3 months later...
When I first heard Hats Off..., like many of you I said the same thing- WTF?? But now many years later I have a new understanding of the song: my husband, after listening to classic rock for many years, decided to check out the musical influences of his fave artists (Zep, Stones, Clapton etc.) & started listening to recordings by Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Son House & others. The sound quality of these recordings were usually pretty poor, sounding tinny & echoey, and I think that's what Jimmy & Robert were trying to do on this song- to make it sound like an authentic old blues record from the 1930s that they themselves might have listened to when they were discovering blues music (they had also did it before with the beginning of Bring It On Home).

That's why I Like it. I've aLways Loved that kinda authentic-oLd-bLues-sound. Makes me high, happy, brings me back to those oLd days.. weLL, very very oLd days :D

They were obviously going for an authentic bottleneck blues sound, and I think they got it. I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I always liked it. Most importantly, I'm sure Roy Harper must have liked it, too, since it's a tribute to him.

I Like aLmost everything about Harper :D He's one of the guys I worship. The idea of "Lz's tribute to Roy" makes me happy.

I sometimes used to think they put it in there as a filler so to speak. Had nothing else and maybe even did it as a joke. Page has to know it sucks.

I totally agree it was a joke, but "Roy" should have ended up on CODA with the other fillers.

No reason to be crude just because you don't have any taste in music, what so fucking ever!

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I like that it's different. Bands who do the same thing over and over get stale. They were good at throwing in something like Hats Off To Roy Harper, The Battle Of Evermore or Hot Dog that was different from what you might expect and helped keep things fresh.

Absolutely love this song, though the first time I heard it the begining scared the shit out of me. The song is simply a re-working of the old Bukka White song Shake em On Down. They must have liked the song quite a bit because the re-worked it again on Physical Grafitti and called it Custard Pie.

Archived