The Guns N' Roses/Velvet Revolver Thread

Hand_Of_Omega_91

Therockradio.com reports that Geffen Records, the band's record label, have confirmed they have received a finished copy of the album, and are currently haggling over money and rights issues with Rose.

As previously reported, it is rumoured that a Guns N' Roses reality TV show is set to be broadcast to coincide with the release of the album.

I do wish Axl would get a clue.

A major music-oriented television channel has pitched an idea for a reality series to Axl Rose, according to sources close to the project.

The show, which would appear on a cable channel that asked not to be identified, would follow the troubled rocker as his continues his decade-long effort to release the Guns N' Roses project "Chinese Democracy."

Rose has been laboring on tracks for the project on-and-off since mid-1994, and in both 2006 and 2007 gave several interviews promising the album would be finished "within the year."

The sound of Chinese Democracy has often reported to be industrial rock music similar to Nine Inch Nails and Ministry, a style that Rose had long been a fan of. But the tracks that have surfaced online show a variety of sounds, with tinges of everything from Ministry to Queen to classic Guns N' Roses.

According to sources at Geffen (Rose's music label) a version of "Chinese Democracy" has been finished and delivered to the label. But there are still outstanding issues between the singer and the label, not the least of which is a recording cost for the project which (depending on who you believe), has reached between $11 and $15 million. Another stickler is the digital rights for the tracks, along with some proposed "bonus" tracks Geffen would like to release digitally.

This reality show project would be part of a larger effort to build buzz for an album which faces a number of promotional hurdles. Rose's recent concert appearances have been erratic at best, and many fans of the classic Guns N' Roses lineup are going to require some persuasion before embracing this new sound. Rose is also not an especially "journalist-friendly" preformer, making promotion for the project even more difficult.

The new (still untitled) reality show would follow Rose and his band as they prepare for release of the album. It would include behind-the-scenes rehearsal and studio footage, as well as interviews with a number of the participants. "There is a lot of footage to choose from," said a network source. "Some of it is incredibly personal and revealing about Axl's life."

According to the network source, the deal for the show is "close, but not signed." Part of the holdup seems to be the timing, as the particpants want to integrate the show into a timeline with the leadup to the album's release, along with the announcment of a limited number of concert dates.

Efforts to get a comment from Axl or his management have so far been unsuccessful

Axl goes on late sometimes. Big deal. He puts on the best show. It's worth the wait. And if it means anything, the shows I have seen, the band came out on time.

It's not easy preparing to give your all in front of 20,000 people every night.

There are plenty of bands who are big, and who go on every night as scheduled, and play a full set. It might not be easy to do, as you say, but some people take pride in the fact that they are professional musicians, who are being paid to do what they do.

If anyone else showed up to work as erratically as Axl they would get fired.

Geffen's mistake was to keep paying him. It got to a point where they couldn't pull the plug because they had already spent so much money.

Yeah, lots of musicians go on stage on time, and do the right thing. Oh well

Axl is a genius and an amazing performer.

You get goose bumps when this guy comes out on stage. There is no one like him.

So, people take their chances.

Geffen has invested, and Geffen has done the right thing. They've already been paid by the release of the Greatest Hits and Axl's touring.

I guarantee Chinese Democracy will be a world wide #1 album, and it will sell many millions (even with downloading the way it is). I don't think Geffen is sweating.

Yeah, lots of musicians go on stage on time, and do the right thing. Oh well

Axl is a genius and an amazing performer.

You get goose bumps when this guy comes out on stage. There is no one like him.

So, people take their chances.

Geffen has invested, and Geffen has done the right thing. They've already been paid by the release of the Greatest Hits and Axl's touring.

I guarantee Chinese Democracy will be a world wide #1 album, and it will sell many millions (even with downloading the way it is). I don't think Geffen is sweating.

agreed.

Aside from Axl most people can't name a single member in the current lineup.

True but I'm well aware of who Tommy Stinson is. I'll take the Replacements over G n' R any day of the fucking week.

Axl Rose a "genius"? How about a washed up, woman-beating, riot inciting, overweight, botoxed loser that can't sing worth a fuck and has taken in excess of ten years just to release one album (and it still hasn't come out yet). Genius? Far from it.

I hate to agree with the last comment but I will say He used to be Great on stage but his life is so out there crazy that I am not sure He will ever get it together again.I would love to see the original band again but I would go see a revamped Axl Rose solo band just for curiosity sake.

True but I'm well aware of who Tommy Stinson is. I'll take the Replacements over G n' R any day of the fucking week.

Axl Rose a "genius"? How about a washed up, woman-beating, riot inciting, overweight, botoxed loser that can't sing worth a fuck and has taken in excess of ten years just to release one album (and it still hasn't come out yet). Genius? Far from it.

Well Jahfin, that's why you are only a fan instead of one who has sold millions of records.

It's really easy to be critical, when you have never accomplished shit.

Well Jahfin, that's why you are only a fan instead of one who has sold millions of records.

It's really easy to be critical, when you have never accomplished shit.

I wouldn't really call myself a fan but I do feel that something like Appetite was much needed at the time. For one to be "critical" I don't have to have sold millions of records or have accomplished anything. I have formed an extremely low opinion of Axl because that's the image he's created for himself over the years. Anyone that's taken as long as he has to record one single album isn't a genius, they're more like a joke.

i wonder how many of your opinions would change about axl rose if the original line up got back together ?

Mine wouldn't change one iota. Regrouping the original G n' R wouldn't suddenly erase how Axl has mistreated his fans, women or the fact that he's taken so fucking long just to release one album. However, it would free up Tommy Stinson to get back to the business of making some music that is actually worthwhile.

Mine wouldn't change one iota. Regrouping the original G n' R wouldn't suddenly erase how Axl has mistreated his fans, women or the fact that he's taken so fucking long just to release one album. However, it would free up Tommy Stinson to get back to the business of making some music that is actually worthwhile.

i think its funny that the new bassist for gnr is in the replacements. kinda ironic :D

Errr....no way.

For starters why would Geffen get any money from a G&R tour? Labels have only begun to share touring revenue in recent years, they traditionally front the expense but don't take a huge piece of the gross, especially in a band the caliber of Guns and Roses, regardless of lineup. The label makes revenues from CD sales/Digital downloads/ringtones/new media (video downloads and the like).

The number floating around industry sources was $13 million over a year ago and they pulled the plug on it and told him if he wanted to finish it he would have to come up with the money. Who knows what they worked out to keep the album in progress but that number is unheard of and obscene for a recording budget. Don't forget, that's just the recording cost. A band like G&R would easily have a promotional campaign that runs into the millions, if not the 10's of millions. Radio play, videos and word of mouth cost money. Figure two videos at $2.5 million each, which isn't a lot and another $5-8 mill for promotion and your looking at possibly over $20 Million dollars to recoup before they see a dime of profit. From a cahsflow perspective they're fucked. They're in it up to their assholes with no way out but to keep spending but you better believe they're worried.

I wouldn't really call myself a fan but I do feel that something like Appetite was much needed at the time. For one to be "critical" I don't have to have sold millions of records or have accomplished anything. I have formed an extremely low opinion of Axl because that's the image he's created for himself over the years. Anyone that's taken as long as he has to record one single album isn't a genius, they're more like a joke.

No, you aren't a GNR fan, but a GNR hater, so why do you always insist on posting in GNR threads?

You are a luny obsessed music fan that wish they could have been a successful musician, but instead have settled for the role of fan/critic, which anyone can do.

You are a biased anti Axl fan, so go fuck yourself.

I rather take quality over quantity. So me, like millions of other Axl fans around the world, will wait for the album, because we know it will be good.

You will continue to bitch, even when it is a massive success.

No, you aren't a GNR fan, but a GNR hater, so why do you always insist on posting in GNR threads?

You are a luny obsessed music fan that wish they could have been a successful musician, but instead have settled for the role of fan/critic, which anyone can do.

I rather take quality over quantity. So me, like millions of other Axl fans around the world, will wait for the album, because we know it will be good.

Someone doesn't have to be a fan or a musician to be qualified to express an opinion. Like I've said, I do like some of their stuff but I don't want to buttfuck Axl as you do so my opinion is not nearly as biased. You know it will be good? So you've already heard the entire thing? I think not. Get Axl's dick out of your mouth and try forming an honest opinion once the album is actually released, not ahead of time before you've even heard it.

Someone doesn't have to be a fan or a musician to be qualified to express an opinion. Like I've said, I do like some of their stuff but I don't want to buttfuck Axl as you do so my opinion is not nearly as biased. You know it will be good? So you've already heard the entire thing? I think not. Get Axl's dick out of your mouth and try forming an honest opinion once the album is actually released, not ahead of time before you've even heard it.

Is it really necessary to bring this thing into the gutter? Just because he started doesn't mean you have to continue. Just another example of YOU having to get the last word in. A real man would have ignored his reply.

Is it really necessary to bring this thing into the gutter? Just because he started doesn't mean you have to continue. Just another example of YOU having to get the last word in. A real man would have ignored his reply.

I don't know where you get this "last word" bullshit from but if someone makes false statements concerning me I'm not going to sit idly by and let it go. I suggest you butt the fuck out and mind your own business.

You know it will be good? So you've already heard the entire thing? I think not. Get Axl's dick out of your mouth and try forming an honest opinion once the album is actually released, not ahead of time before you've even heard it.

funny you should say that. so many of you on this thread have talked so much shit about the current gnr line-up before you have even heard any of the new material or what the new line-up is even capable of.

Listen here asshole, if anyone is biased, it's you. You are so far up Axl Rose's ass, that you can barely see any sunlight.

Don't tell Jahfin to go fuck himself, he has every right to voice his opinion. You are as closed minded as all other Axl fans. You believe that "Chinese Democracy" will be such a great album, because he was the true talent of Gn'R. Which you are wrong. That band was made up of five people, communicating certain ideas to one another. And you will never hear anything like it again. Like I said, if you knew anything about being in a band situation, or playing a lick of music yourself, you might have a certain idea. But you don't, you hack.

What defines success?

funny you should say that. so many of you on this thread have talked so much shit about the current gnr line-up before you have even heard any of the new material or what the new line-up is even capable of.

I've heard plenty of the "New Material" I heard it broadcast on Eddie Trunks radio show. I heard it all over the net a couple years ago. Some of it was good, some of it was epic bullshit. It sounded like the all Axl.

I've heard plenty of the "New Material" I heard it broadcast on Eddie Trunks radio show. I heard it all over the net a couple years ago. Some of it was good, some of it was epic bullshit. It sounded like the all Axl.

everybody calm down,go to your corner,smoke one then come out rockin

I haven't spoken to what the new album will sound like or how successful I think it might be, I have mainly spoken about my opinion of Axl. I do know that the reaction to what's leaked from the new album so far has been mediocre to fair at best except for the diehards that will automatically heap praise on anything Axl does whether they've actually heard it or not. As for the record and tour (no matter who's in G n' R), I'm sure both will be successful. I just don't believe the album (when and if it ever comes out) is somehow going to change music history and cause the world to stop in it's tracks.