What about Country?

Scarlett

Really enjoying John Hartford's Aereo-Plain album right now listened to "Up On the Hill Where They Do the Boogie" in the Rate the Song Above you thread and loved it immdediately, thanks Swede. bluegrass/country. Would love to listen to more artists like him, any recommendations. Love his banjo playing.

Really enjoying John Hartford's Aereo-Plain album right now listened to "Up On the Hill Where They Do the Boogie" in the Rate the Song Above you thread and loved it immdediately, thanks Swede. bluegrass/country. Would love to listen to more artists like him, any recommendations. Love his banjo playing.

Chatham County Line had a tune on their first album called Song for John Hartford. I was unable to locate a video clip of them performing it but you can try this one on for size from their new record:

I really love country music. I was enamored with it growing up in the 90s and early 2000s but like all music now it seems there's less to like.

I know many that like it but I am not one of them. It all sounds the same to me. I will say that if I must listen to it, I far prefer female vocalists to male vocalists generally speaking in country. Some of the old classics I like. I like some of Alan Jackson's stuff, but other than that, they just use too much sex to sell their music. Turn on the country music channel and you will think you are watching the playboy channel. Im not complaining about looking at hot women, but it seems like that is what it takes to keep the numbers up. Now I do take my wife and step daughter to a line dancing bar. That is fun to watch. I cant do it myself, but they have fun taking the lesson and its all fun stuff. I just dont like enough of the newer stuff to ever be very interested. My wife likes that stuff like Rascal Flats. I cant stand it. To each his own though. I dont like all rock either. I still prefer the older music. And I always will.

Chatham County Line had a tune on their first album called Song for John Hartford. I was unable to locate a video clip of them performing it but you can try this one on for size from their new record:

Yes thats something similar to what I'm looking for, thanks for that I really enjoyed the song. Feel free to shoot me more recommendations.

Btw a lot of bands you've listed I've come to like.

These are most of the country/country-rock/alt. country, etc. that I've been listening to. Updated.

Blaze Foley

(Los Fantastic) Flying Burrito Brothers

Guy Clark

Hank Williams

Joe Ely

John Hartford

Johnny Cash

Kris Kristofferson

New Riders of the Purple Sage

Richard "Dickey" Betts

The Sadies

Townes Van Zandt

Uncle Tupelo

Wilco

Willie Nelson

And again theres much more yet to check out and discover.

R'n'r-man, I'm happy to hear you like Aero Plain, it's an awesome album indeed. I have several John Hartford albums, and I enjoy all of them. Check out "Morning Bugle", that's a fine album, which I don't have myself.

You might like some of The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band too. I've got two albums by them and still have others to check out myself. I can highly recomend "Uncle Charlie & His Dog Teddy". Check out the songs below.

Jahfin, Chatham Country Line sounds awesome, I'll have to check 'em out! Thanks for the tip.

I know many that like it but I am not one of them. It all sounds the same to me. I will say that if I must listen to it, I far prefer female vocalists to male vocalists generally speaking in country. Some of the old classics I like. I like some of Alan Jackson's stuff, but other than that, they just use too much sex to sell their music. Turn on the country music channel and you will think you are watching the playboy channel. Im not complaining about looking at hot women, but it seems like that is what it takes to keep the numbers up. Now I do take my wife and step daughter to a line dancing bar. That is fun to watch. I cant do it myself, but they have fun taking the lesson and its all fun stuff.

I hate to break it to ya but the "sex sells" mentality isn't unique to country music. Just out of curiosity I wonder what your take is on sex in music in general and rock n' roll specifically? It's a very intrinsic part of rock n' roll and has been from the very beginning so I find it odd (particularly on a Led Zeppelin board) to find someone that's offended by sexual images in country music videos.

I just dont like enough of the newer stuff to ever be very interested. My wife likes that stuff like Rascal Flats. I cant stand it. To each his own though. I dont like all rock either. I still prefer the older music. And I always will.

If Rascal Flatts is the extent to which you're being exposed to "new" country music no wonder you don't care for it. That band isn't indicative at all of what country music (past, present or future) has to offer. How about Waylon, Willie, Johnny Cash, David Allan Coe, Merle Haggard, Emmylou Harris, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, etc.? There was also the early to mid-70s "country-rock" boom with artists like Gram Parsons/The Flying Burrito Brothers/The Byrds, the New Riders of the Purple Sage, Poco, Goose Creek Symphony, Pure Prairie League, Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen, etc. that effectively mixed country and rock n' roll. There were also the songwriters of the 70s that were steeped in country music stylings such as Michael Murphy, Jimmy Buffett, John Prine, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, Guy Clark, etc. In the 80s there was the first hints of "alt.country" with artists such as Lone Justice, Rank n' File, the Blasters, the Knitters, Dwight Yoakam, Steve Earle, Jason & the Scorchers, etc. Then came alt.country itself (aka Y'allternative, No Depression, Americana, Insurgent Country, etc.) in the late 80s and early 90s that brought us Uncle Tupelo, the Gourds, the Bottle Rockets, the Old 97s, Whiskeytown, Son Volt, Wilco, the Handsome Family, Slobberbone, the Drive-By Truckers, Richard Buckner, etc.

There's far more to country music than what the mainstream has to offer. For an actual sampling of the best of country music I would strongly suggest checking out some of the artists mentioned in this thread and recommend that you stay as far away as you can from the likes of Rascal Flatts. That's not country music.

I hate to break it to ya but the "sex sells" mentality isn't unique to country music. Just out of curiosity I wonder what your take is on sex in music in general and rock n' roll specifically? It's a very intrinsic part of rock n' roll and has been from the very beginning so I find it odd (particularly on a Led Zeppelin board) to find someone that's offended by sexual images in country music videos.

If Rascal Flatts is the extent to which you're being exposed to "new" country music no wonder you don't care for it. That band isn't indicative at all of what country music (past, present or future) has to offer. How about Waylon, Willie, Johnny Cash, David Allan Coe, Merle Haggard, Emmylou Harris, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, etc.? There was also the early to mid-70s "country-rock" boom with artists like Gram Parsons/The Flying Burrito Brothers/The Byrds, the New Riders of the Purple Sage, Poco, Goose Creek Symphony, Pure Prairie League, Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen, etc. that effectively mixed country and rock n' roll. There were also the songwriters of the 70s that were steeped in country music stylings such as Michael Murphy, Jimmy Buffett, John Prine, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, Guy Clark, etc. In the 80s there was the first hints of "alt.country" with artists such as Lone Justice, Rank n' File, the Blasters, the Knitters, Dwight Yoakam, Steve Earle, Jason & the Scorchers, etc. Then came alt.country itself (aka Y'allternative, No Depression, Americana, Insurgent Country, etc.) in the late 80s and early 90s that brought us Uncle Tupelo, the Gourds, the Bottle Rockets, the Old 97s, Whiskeytown, Son Volt, Wilco, the Handsome Family, Slobberbone, the Drive-By Truckers, Richard Buckner, etc.

There's far more to country music than what the mainstream has to offer. For an actual sampling of the best of country music I would strongly suggest checking out some of the artists mentioned in this thread and recommend that you stay as far away as you can from the likes of Rascal Flatts. That's not country music.

Like I said, I do like the old stuff like Johnny Cash. Folsom Prison blues, Ring of Fire, classics. I am not offended by the sex on the country music channel, it just is overdone and its obviously used to keep some glued to their sets. I have to hook up some equipment. Once I am hooked up I will be able to start listenting to more material. You have to be a rocket scientist now days to rig all this equipment. Ah, I just saw Patsy Cline on your list. Loved her voice.

R'n'r-man, I'm happy to hear you like Aero Plain, it's an awesome album indeed. I have several John Hartford albums, and I enjoy all of them. Check out "Morning Bugle", that's a fine album, which I don't have myself.

You might like some of The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band too. I've got two albums by them and still have others to check out myself. I can highly recomend "Uncle Charlie & His Dog Teddy". Check out the songs below.

Good to know other John Hartford albums retain a good quality to them. I'll definitely look into those albums and the song you posted sounded good, thanks.

___

Found this good bluegrass tune on youtube.

• 1 month later...

Highly recommend Heartworn Highways lots of great music found therein.

Heartworn Highways is James Szalapski's fabled documentary about the rebirth of country music around Austin and Nashville in the mid-70's.

This classic features Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark, Rodney Crowell, Charlie Daniels, Steve Young, Gamble Rogers, David Allan Coe, and Steve Earle, amongst numerous others. Heartworn Highways is a movie that affords not only a rare insight into the lives of this unique set of maverick artists, but also the opportunity to experience their inspiring and beautiful music in both an intimate setting and from an intensely personal perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM3QBP3zq7g

I love Martina McBride, and like Miranda Lambert too, but I'm listening to a lot of Zac Brown Band right now. I just love them (a perfect combo of country/southern rock/jam band/reggae).

ZBB, Sugarland and Toby Keith are the only country artists I listen to right now; I've cut way back on the Keith Urban. Although I will say, Keith Urban is one I much prefer live; there is a definite bluesy guitar side to him that doesn't come through (at all, IMO) on his studio albums.

I am surprised that I love Sugarland too; I did not like them at all a year ago, but I saw them when they opened for Keith Urban last August and I became a convert. Jennifer Nettles has an amazing voice, and they put on a fantastic and energetic show. I would sincerely recommend seeing them live if you aren't sure about them. Keith too; I would almost guarantee you would be pleasantly surprised.

I can highly recomend the two albums $1000 Playboys recorded in the mid 00's. There's a good portion of The Band, Gram Parsons and Rolling Stones influences in their music. They got pretty good attention in Sweden at the time and performed on national TV and good praise for their albums. Lars Bygdén who sang and wrote all their songs has also recorded a couple of solo albums which are great too.

The rockin' "Preacher" from the debut:

"Lonely Nights" from their debut album:

"A Very Special Christmas" from their second album Stay:

Well, when it comes to "Country" music, one guy stands out in my book :

Even though, I usually ain't a sucker for love songs, this one kinda got to me :

Here's one which really made me cry (especially on hearing that the guy I am talking about, died so tragically in a plane crash) :

And another one :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AbxQ2Q4HeU

If there was one bloke on this planet who had the power to make me cry tears of joy because of his singing, it was John Denver, damn it!! God! What a voice! Bless his soul for eternity! :wub:

Even as I sit replying to this thread, I can feel the tears coming as I listen to "Sunshine On My Shoulders".

Hey Jahfin, what album is a good place to start with Steve Earle. Him being a friend of Townes I've been meaning to check him out haven't but after watching Heartworn HighwaysI realy want to now. "Darlin' Commit Me" and "Mercenary Song" sound great.

album-train-a-comin.jpg

I'm not sure how well of a "starter" album it would be but one of my absolute favorites is Train A' Comin'. It came out following Steve's stint in prison and is sort of in the vein of all of the MTV Unplugged-style acoustic albums that were being released at the time, except this one stands head and shoulders above the rest. While it is acoustic, it acts more as a "Fuck You" to MTV than those other records.

Another all time favorite is El Corazon. It's good in it's own right but it's so varied in style (punk, rock, bluegrass, country) that it showcases just how diverse Steve Earle's music is.

6a00c2252aed7b8e1d011015f4f703860b-500pi.jpg

Of course neither of these come from the time period when Heartworn Highways was filmed but they're still very good records.

album-train-a-comin.jpg

I'm not sure how well of a "starter" album it would be but one of my absolute favorites is Train A' Comin'. It came out following Steve's stint in prison and is sort of in the vein of all of the MTV Unplugged-style acoustic albums that were being released at the time, except this one stands head and shoulders above the rest. While it is acoustic, it acts more as a "Fuck You" to MTV than those other records.

Another all time favorite is El Corazon. It's good in it's own right but it's so varied in style (punk, rock, bluegrass, country) that it showcases just how diverse Steve Earle's music is.

6a00c2252aed7b8e1d011015f4f703860b-500pi.jpg

Of course neither of these come from the time period when Heartworn Highways was filmed but they're still very good records.

Thanks, I'll start with those two. I find it odd that "Mercenary Song" wasn't recorded until Train A' Comin' because he was playing that in the film Heartworn Highways. What is that about twenty years before that album.

Thanks, I'll start with those two. I find it odd that "Mercenary Song" wasn't recorded until Train A' Comin' because he was playing that in the film Heartworn Highways. What is that about twenty years before that album.

I had no idea he had waited that long to record it unti you mentioned it. I have seen Heartworn Highways but it was years ago, before it had been re-released (with bonus footage) on DVD. I also don't mean to discount Earle's early work by recommending two of his post-prison albums but I feel this is some of his very best work. So many folks seem to think he dropped off the map after Copperhead Road. That's just when he pretty much stopped receiving airplay because he'd become blacklisted by country music radio (which is another story unto itself).

I love Martina McBride, and like Miranda Lambert too, but I'm listening to a lot of Zac Brown Band right now. I just love them (a perfect combo of country/southern rock/jam band/reggae).

ZBB, Sugarland and Toby Keith are the only country artists I listen to right now; I've cut way back on the Keith Urban. Although I will say, Keith Urban is one I much prefer live; there is a definite bluesy guitar side to him that doesn't come through (at all, IMO) on his studio albums.

I am surprised that I love Sugarland too; I did not like them at all a year ago, but I saw them when they opened for Keith Urban last August and I became a convert. Jennifer Nettles has an amazing voice, and they put on a fantastic and energetic show. I would sincerely recommend seeing them live if you aren't sure about them. Keith too; I would almost guarantee you would be pleasantly surprised.

With the exception of Miranda Lambert, these are the very artists I abhor on country music radio these days.

• 1 month later...

*Edited to add: I probably should have watched this before posting it in this particular thread as I figured it told the story of the origins and rise of "country-rock" and would include Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers. While I still consider it essential viewing he/they were never mentioned once, at least that I noticed. If you want a history of California folk-rock with a hint of country, this is more the focus of this program. It also doesn't paint the Eagles in the most favorable light, same for CSN & Y (at least by the end of Neil's first tenure with them).

I think Carlene Carter is way underrated as a songwriter, singer and just all-round crazy mama (though she's been thru some horrific stuff in later years and has settled down, reportedly):

And though she's not straight-ahead country, I love Neko Case. Her voice is transcendent and heart-breaking: "Hold On Hold On"

She's done brilliant covers of Hank Williams' "Alone and Forsaken," Dylan's "Bucket of Rain" and Neil Young's "Dreaming Man" to name a few. Best artist of the 00's, IMO

Love what I've heard from Neko but I'm still in the process of discovering her work. Her former record label, Bloodshot, had a sale a year or so ago and I racked up several of her older records at around $5 a pop.

Now, for something nearly completely different. I got news today of a new documentary about Jerry Jeff Walker (probably best known as the man who penned Mr. Bojangles) called Ok, Buckaroos!. More info at the movie website here.

• 2 months later...

Now, for something nearly completely different. I got news today of a new documentary about Jerry Jeff Walker (probably best known as the man who penned Mr. Bojangles) called Ok, Buckaroos!. More info at the movie website here.

This will be interesting to see! Thanks for the heads up!

Archived