Royal Albert Hall footage

whitestrat

For me my favorite live recorded performance is the royal albert hall concert which appears on the Led Zeppelin DVD. From reading a site apparently they performed an organ solo/thank you... does this exist as a recording ?? Because i've noticed when i'm viewing the dvd there is a short snippet of JPJ playing the organ when your browsing through the menu..

thank you :D

Jan 9th 1970 Royal Albert Hall

Disc One

1. We're Gonna Groove

2. I Can't Quit You Baby

3. Dazed and Confused

4. Heartbreaker (tape runs out)

5. What Is and What Should Never Be

6. Moby Dick

7. Whole Lotta Love

8. Communication Breakdown

Disc Two

1. How Many More Times

2. Communication Breakdown (shorter edit)

3. White Summer

4. C'mon Everybody

5. Something Else

6. Bring It On Home

7. Long Tall Sally

Hmmm, not sure if I have Thank You on one of my older sources...without checking, I doubt it. This set is from Shirley's working tapes.

It's also been disputed weather they played Sibly at this show...since it was introduced to their stage setlist just prior to this show......I've always felt that knowing they were recording and filming this night that they probably left it out...not having been stage tested enough to be comfortable enough with it.

hmm.. heres an extract from this website:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/january-9-1970

Setlist:

We're Gonna Groove

I Can't Quit You Baby

Heartbreaker

Dazed and Confused

White Summer / Black Mountainside

Since I've Been Loving You

What Is and What Should Never Be

Moby Dick

How Many More Times

Whole Lotta Love

Communication Breakdown

Organ solo / Thank You,

Bring It On Home

C'Mon Everybody

Something Else

Long Tall Sally

As you see many of these tracks i have never seen on video such as heartbreaker, thank you..

hmm.. heres an extract from this website:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/january-9-1970

Setlist:

We're Gonna Groove

I Can't Quit You Baby

Heartbreaker

Dazed and Confused

White Summer / Black Mountainside

Since I've Been Loving You

What Is and What Should Never Be

Moby Dick

How Many More Times

Whole Lotta Love

Communication Breakdown

Organ solo / Thank You,

Bring It On Home

C'Mon Everybody

Something Else

Long Tall Sally

As you see many of these tracks i have never seen on video such as heartbreaker, thank you..

In the menu of the 2003 DVD you can hear an see parts of "Heartbreaker" (credits) and "Thank you" (somwhere in the menu).

Bootlegs aplenty, but none with what you're looking for (namely SIBLY, Thank You and a complete Heartbreaker).

Which leads me to believe that SIBLY was not played on this UK tour at all, as there's no recorded version for the Bristol show from the 8th either. Was Copenhagen 1970-02-28 the first time?

Which leads me to believe that SIBLY was not played on this UK tour at all, as there's no recorded version for the Bristol show from the 8th either. Was Copenhagen 1970-02-28 the first time?

It's on the bootleg "Bristol Stomp" from the 1/8 show and is discussed in detail in The Concert File.

http://www.lz-alphaomega.com/titles/1970/T...istol_Stomp.htm

In regards to SIBLY, none of the bootlegs have it on them. While it was reportedly played at pretty much every concert from the 8th January at Bristol, the earliest recorded version is from the 28th February 1970, so my guess is that it wasn't played at the RAH show, as none of the boots, aud or sbd, have it on then.

The earliest know version of SIBLY is the Bristol show on January 8th. There is a recording of the show. The talk of SIBLY being played comes from the fact that they performed it the night before in Bristol. One is lead to believe since they performed it the night before, then they must pulled it out at the RAH. But of course since there is no known recording of it being played at RAH, the question still remains.

You wanna ask again?

they did play since i've been loving you, RAH was their second time playing it live, bristol being the first.

they also played organ solo/ thank you

and heartbreaker

page had his reasons for not putting those in the video

one of those reasons was that the footage was unavailable due to it being auctioned off sometime in the 90's

so a private collector now owns the original footage of those songs

that's just what i know.

I have not heard the Bristol version (don't have that tape) or heard of anyone who has heard (or seen) SIBLY at RAH or even know it would exist somewhere, of course there are rumors, but we know how much truth there usually is in there. :rolleyes:

They played this in Helsinki on the 24th four nights before Copenhagen (their only gig ever in here) and there is a tape of it, also surfaced some 25 years later, and you can hear that SIBLY was very much still a work-in-progress, incomplete lyrics and arrangement, so I can see why they would have dropped it from the recordings. Don't get me wrong, I just love it, that's always been a thing I have admired in them, not paying it safe but all the time trying out new things and evolving, and not afraid of trying completely new songs in front of an audience. :blink:

If it exists I guess I'll have to dig that Bristol tape from somewhere then, BTW I believe Helsinki was the first time Jimmy played the few chords within WS/BMS he had of an idea that would much later turn into Midnight Moonlight!

Cheers!

they did play since i've been loving you, RAH was their second time playing it live, bristol being the first.

they also played organ solo/ thank you

and heartbreaker

page had his reasons for not putting those in the video

one of those reasons was that the footage was unavailable due to it being auctioned off sometime in the 90's

so a private collector now owns the original footage of those songs

that's just what i know.

Sure there may be footage of Heartbreaker, but only audio up to the end of the solo exists. The multitrack reel ran out at that point. As far as Sibly...there is still no proof....and "that's just what I know" is not proof enough. I'm still in the camp that believes it was not played....and probably would have been played had it not been for the pressures of filming/recording.......being the song's stage life was but a day old.

Sure there may be footage of Heartbreaker, but only audio up to the end of the solo exists. The multitrack reel ran out at that point.

I can't believe Eddie Kramer could have made such a noob mistake.

that heartbreaker is the best fkn version i think ive heard too - it surpasses my original favorite hearbreaker version from the bbc sessions... sucks that the tape runs out, but at least most of the solo made it through... that mistake lives in infamy

i havent heard SIBLY or the organ solo from this show, as its not on my bootleg... it sort of sucks because they were ON POINTE that night... im sure someday the tapes will surface... lets hope im not dead.

Archived