Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
The Pagemeister

What Are You Listening To At This Moment?

The Neville Marriner ASMF with Alan Loveday as soloist is my preferred version of this piece.

6 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

Wow, this is funny, who's on keys? That can't be Rick Wakeman, can it? Bruford's hair is cracking me up, not to mention Chris Squire's "shoes"

Composed in 1960, the inspiration for Keith Emerson's "Toccata" on Brain Salad Surgery.  The story goes that Emerson met Ginastera and asked him what he thought of the ELP version.  He responded "diabolique!" which Keith took as a compliment.  Ginastera's original is amazing.   

On 11/11/2017 at 7:13 PM, badgeholder said:

Wow, this is funny, who's on keys? That can't be Rick Wakeman, can it? Bruford's hair is cracking me up, not to mention Chris Squire's "shoes"

That is Tony Kaye, the original keyboard player.  He played on the first three albums.  This is an amazing album, one of their best, and it does not have Wakeman.  Steve Howe was new for this album, as Peter Banks had left.   Banks was good but Howe fit in better with Squire and Anderson's vision.  

I played Golf yesterday with a guy who had been a drummer for various bands in the 60's. It was a real treat to hear stories about being on the same bill as Deep Purple and Free and meeting loads of musicians. Anyway I asked him who was THE best man with the sticks. He had no question in saying this man: