Couple of questions about Jimmy Page

DanielTA

Uhh, thanks Steve and Knebby for the informations, I've never known he had a licence before.

I always wonder if englishmen have problems with driving in other coutries, because of the right/left-hand traffic.

I didn't know he was ever issued a license either.

No more difficult than if any other nationality drove in the UK. It's not the traffic that's a problem, it's the fact that you're in a foreign country.

I've driven in foreign countries which is certainly a challenge as far as reading the signs, but it's always been on the same side as in the US. I'm not that brave to attempt driving in the UK :D

:ph34r:

I've driven in foreign countries which is certainly a challenge as far as reading the signs, but it's always been on the same side as in the US. I'm not that brave to attempt driving in the UK :D

Yes, I mean, driving in Germany is ok for me, for both in Germany and China we drive on the right side. But it's different in the UK, that's why I asked if this would be problem.

Uhh, thanks Steve and Knebby for the informations, I've never known he had a licence before.

I always wonder if englishmen have problems with driving in other coutries, because of the right/left-hand traffic.

No more difficult than if any other nationality drove in the UK. It's not the traffic that's a problem, it's the fact that you're in a foreign country. (No its the fact that foreigners cant drive that make it so hard, I wish they would drive on the "Right" side of the road, the left.)

Hi 'glicine'

The answer too your question is "Yes".

Untill 1800ish everybody drove on the left, the "Right way" by the way, then the "Little Corporal" Napoleon decieded to change everything on the Continent (Except Great Britain and Sweden) and made his and everyone elses Armies march on the Right hand side of the road, thays why they still do it, even Sweden has changed now, but not us, were still civilised and undefeated and drive on the left, right.

Regards, Danny

PS. Hope your all OK with that, but please keep to the Left, Right.

Hi 'glicine'

The answer too your question is "Yes".

Untill 1800ish everybody drove on the left, the "Right way" by the way, then the "Little Corporal" Napoleon decieded to change everything on the Continent (Except Great Britain and Sweden) and made his and everyone elses Armies march on the Right hand side of the road, thays why they still do it, even Sweden has changed now, but not us, were still civilised and undefeated and drive on the left, right.

Regards, Danny

PS. Hope your all OK with that, but please keep to the Left, Right.

Thanks Danny for your answer.

Though one thing I'd like to clarify here, that I use "right" here only as a physical term, nothing more.

Believe me, it's far more intimidating driving in the US than it is in the UK. Your roads 'small' roads dwarf our 'big' ones. They're mahoosive. Though, I do recommend that you don't drive in London. No way.

Believe me, it's far more intimidating driving in the US than it is in the UK. Your roads 'small' roads dwarf our 'big' ones. They're mahoosive. Though, I do recommend that you don't drive in London. No way.

In some parts the roads are pretty narrow, that's true. We have some 4 lane highways. If I tried to drive in London, I'd end up like Chevy Chase going around the turnabout in European Vacation for hours :blink::lol: I was confused just crossing the streets there - I kept looking in the wrong direction for traffic :slapface: Thankfully I survived :D I guess it boils down to what you're used to.

No, no, please do drive in London, youll get lost quite a bit, but its much more safer than anywhere else in Europe, especially France-Italy-Spain-Portugal they all drive like maniac's there, except in Ireland where they all drive like, well i wont go their in case I cause offence. <_<

Regards, Danny

I've found the opposite myself. I learned to drive in the UK and drove there for years, even in London, but found driving in the US much easier when I moved here. Now I don't dare drive in the UK anymore, even though my licence (note British spelling!) is still valid for quite a few years yet! It's not driving on the left, it's that the roads seem so narrow, plus things like roundabouts, etc.--anyway, you're all safer without me on the roads!

Btw, I wonder if Jimmy just had a provisional licence that expired, if they do?

I've found the opposite myself. I learned to drive in the UK and drove there for years, even in London, but found driving in the US much easier when I moved here. Now I don't dare drive in the UK anymore, even though my licence (note British spelling!) is still valid for quite a few years yet! It's not driving on the left, it's that the roads seem so narrow, plus things like roundabouts, etc.--anyway, you're all safer without me on the roads!

Btw, I wonder if Jimmy just had a provisional licence that expired, if they do?

Fair play.

I suppose it's intimidating for someone like me because I'm so used to being in little Peugeots and Citroens on our little country bumpkin roads, and then, suddenly, I'm in a big fuck off Chrysler people carrier going down a four-lane road - not even a highway!

We're having a lot of crashes at the moment on small roads. In fact, I was nearly involved in one this past Thursday. A huge lorry came belting around the corner of this narrow road and almost drove into us. If my boyfriend hadn't have braked as fast as he did, we would've been in a spot of bother. I don't think the roads being narrow are so much of a problem as the people speeding on 'em.

It's possible that it was only Jimmy's provisional, but I don't think they expire. I'm not sure, though. There's a chance he could've gotten points on his licence and never bothered to retake his test again.

Fair play.

I suppose it's intimidating for someone like me because I'm so used to being in little Peugeots and Citroens on our little country bumpkin roads, and then, suddenly, I'm in a big fuck off Chrysler people carrier going down a four-lane road - not even a highway!

We're having a lot of crashes at the moment on small roads. In fact, I was nearly involved in one this past Thursday. A huge lorry came belting around the corner of this narrow road and almost drove into us. If my boyfriend hadn't have braked as fast as he did, we would've been in a spot of bother. I don't think the roads being narrow are so much of a problem as the people speeding on 'em.

It's possible that it was only Jimmy's provisional, but I don't think they expire. I'm not sure, though. There's a chance he could've gotten points on his licence and never bothered to retake his test again.

Thank goodness you are okay!

I've often wondered why Jimmy just stopped driving if he had a licence and assumably did drive at one point.

Fair play.

That's probably very true, though I lost a few wing mirrors even when I was driving over there. :bagoverhead: It's certainly true that the cars are generally smaller--big gas-guzzlers will probably start disappearing here soon, too, the economy being what it is. I've never seen why people have to drive something the size of a Sherman tank just to drop the kids off at school and go to work. :rolleyes:

Thank goodness you are okay!

I've often wondered why Jimmy just stopped driving if he had a licence and assumably did drive at one point.

Thanks, we're okay but it does scare you. A few months back, when we had some heavy rain, I saw a lorry overturned on a roundabout. He'd obviously gone too fast around the corner of the roundabout and just...toppled over. Incredible that he didn't injure anyone, but, God, it's so dangerous.

To be honest, I always assumed that he never did have a licence. But, I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that he had a Range Rover, or something, back in the '80's. So, it's probably that he did.

That's probably very true, though I lost a few wing mirrors even when I was driving over there. :bagoverhead: It's certainly true that the cars are generally smaller--big gas-guzzlers will probably start disappearing here soon, too, the economy being what it is. I've never seen why people have to drive something the size of a Sherman tank just to drop the kids off at school and go to work. :rolleyes:

Oh, we have our fairshare of mums driving their kids to school in 4x4's.And they're really big cars - at least your roads are big enough for them. Ours are way too small.

Thanks, we're okay but it does scare you. A few months back, when we had some heavy rain, I saw a lorry overturned on a roundabout. He'd obviously gone too fast around the corner of the roundabout and just...toppled over. Incredible that he didn't injure anyone, but, God, it's so dangerous.

To be honest, I always assumed that he never did have a licence. But, I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that he had a Range Rover, or something, back in the '80's. So, it's probably that he did.

Oh, we have our fairshare of mums driving their kids to school in 4x4's.And they're really big cars - at least your roads are big enough for them. Ours are way too small.

Yes it does. I've been in a few car accidents (as a passenger) and one near fatal had the driver not turned the wheel in time. I had the same assumption as you about Page not having a licence.

4x4s were really big in the 90s for a long time. You still see them on the road but when gas prices starting climbing, people got rid of them.

Good to know you were fine. You've just reminded me of 2 months ago I hydroplaned and multispun on a stretch of highway one blistery weekend night narrowly being missed by a minivan. Thanking good heavens my car held up and inspite of good dents and broken bumper I walked out alive. Same stretch of highway we passed by today and a major accident one car spliced in two, only the front seats and engine compartment left. Sure hope there were no passengers in the back. Deja vu. I'm more comfy driving sedans myself than humongous troopers however when thinking of these possibilities I avoid having passengers. I know I shouldn't but....

If it was a full (as opposed to "provisional", issued to learners) licence there is no renewal fee in the UK (till you are re-tested at age 70+) and a licence would only be suspended subject to a driving offence or accumulated points for speeding etc. "Administrative reasons" wouldn't really come into play here.

In some states, a suspended driver's license can be a circumstance of multiple drug possession charges in recent years or a lapse in court-ordered child support payments.

Whatever the cause, he was not inclined to divulge it to journalist Charles M. Young.

In some states, a suspended driver's license can be a circumstance of multiple drug possession charges in recent years or a lapse in court-ordered child support payments.

Whatever the cause, he was not inclined to divulge it to journalist Charles M. Young.

Steve - there are no states in the UK.

Just wondering if anyone knows this :D

Do you know what thickness Jimmy Page used on his strings and for his pick? :rolleyes:

I found a book at Barnes & Noble last week- ??Guide to Les Pauls??(Don't remember exact name) that had a whole section (several pages) just about Jimmy and what equipment/guitars/picks/strings he used what years and for what songs. Too bad I only have $9 in cash..

:lol: I love these threads, went from thickness of strings to width of hwys. I'm going to have to start reading more randomly :D

I know, I read pretty randomly & It's quite humorous where these theads end up :)

Archived