Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Could that be a typo? Does it actually refer to "The Now Explosion". If so it looks like these were locally made videos (films) using popular tunes of the time.

Wikipedia: The Now Explosion was an early experiment in music video produced in Atlanta, Georgia in 1970, more than a decade before MTV was launched. The program was televised in Atlanta on WATL-TV and, later, WTCG-TV (later WTBS-TV, now WPCH-TV)....In 1968 and 1969, veteran broadcaster Bob Whitney experimented with a new concept in television programming, in which the hit Top 40 songs of the day were coupled with the latest in the era's videotaping and filming techniques. The resulting pilot enlisted the studio facilities of several stations: WFAA-TV in Dallas, Texas, WHBQ-TV Memphis, Tennessee, WKBS-TV Philadelphia and KMBC-TVin Kansas City. Location scenes were filmed at station studios or at locations within a short distance from these facilities.

• Administrators

Could that be a typo? Does it actually refer to "The Now Explosion". If so it looks like these were locally made videos (films) using popular tunes of the time.

Yes, that's it, thanks. In the same issue of the Washington Post, just saw this article.....

(So most likely no actual Zep footage).

post-5-0-85895000-1430854263_thumb.jpg

All of the offstage footage was shot while on tour in Baltimore, Pittsburgh and New York. Some of the onstage content was re-entacted in August 1974 at Shepperton Studios in England, and of course the fantasy sequences were filmed in Autumn 1974 at various locales in England & Wales.

I thought the fantasy sequences were shot in the autumn of 1973 before Joe Massot was kicked off the project, in fact, I'm sure of it; the Wikipedia entry for the TSRTS film is pretty specific about dates in which some of the fantasy sequences were shot (Oct-Dec 1973), whilst there's the oft-repeated story about a rough cut of TSRTS being screened for the band in early 1974, and where Bonzo (allegedly) fell around laughing at Jimmy Page's facial transition whilst playing the Hermit.

Still love the film though, and all it's little flaws and faults just add to it's character...

Edited by The Old Hermit

• 3 weeks later...

Ever since 1970, it has been known that a majority of the tracks from Led Zeppelin III were recorded at Headley Grange, as per the original liners. Now, with the release of the Super Deluxe Edition, the accompanying book said that a majority of the tracks were recorded at Olympic Sound Studios.

Which is correct??????

I fear you are confused. III was recorded in Olympic, correct. The fourth album was the one rehearsed and recorded in part in Headley Grange (along with Island Studios).

You may be thinking of Bron-Yr-Aur, with regards to III. Nothing was recorded there; rather, it spurred inspiration, as songs were partially written there by Jimmy and Robert.

I've asked this a hundred times and have yet to find a satisfactory answer: Why are there no photos from Zep's six BBC concerts? Yeah, I know there's that ONE backstage photo from one of the 1969 shows but even that hasn't been substantiated. Even so, it's ONE photo from a series of six concerts...no on-stage..no before or after photos?

I thought the fantasy sequences were shot in the autumn of 1973 before Joe Massot was kicked off the project....

You're probably right. Reading Brad Tolinski's Guitar World interviews seems to indicate that Massot was still on when those were filmed. Furthermore, Jimmy claims "We shot it [the Hermit scene] in December..." Highly unlikely that it would have been December 1974, since he was recording and producing Physical Graffiti at that time, and preparing for the American tour which started in January '75. Zeppelin were 100% focused at those times, and wouldn't be messing around with that silly movie.

I thought the fantasy sequences were shot in the autumn of 1973 before Joe Massot was kicked off the project, in fact, I'm sure of it; the Wikipedia entry for the TSRTS film is pretty specific about dates in which some of the fantasy sequences were shot (Oct-Dec 1973), whilst there's the oft-repeated story about a rough cut of TSRTS being screened for the band in early 1974, and where Bonzo (allegedly) fell around laughing at Jimmy Page's facial transition whilst playing the Hermit.

Still love the film though, and all it's little flaws and faults just add to it's character...

Having seen your post and double-checked my notes, I stand corrected with regard to the fantasy segments. We know that Page's segment at Boleskine House was filmed the night of December 10-11 1973, and Peter Grant said he summoned Peter Clifton to his office on Oxford Street in January 1974 to discuss completing the film. Consequently, onstage reenactments were filmed for a week at Shepperton in August 1974.

Edited by SteveAJones

I've asked this a hundred times and have yet to find a satisfactory answer: Why are there no photos from Zep's six BBC concerts? Yeah, I know there's that ONE backstage photo from one of the 1969 shows but even that hasn't been substantiated. Even so, it's ONE photo from a series of six concerts...no on-stage..no before or after photos?

I'll offer a quick response, though there could well be more to it. It seems to me the BBC seldom concerned themselves with assigning a staff photographer to shoot the acts booked on those radio programs. Additionally, Led Zeppelin, unlike say The Beatles or The Rolling Stones, did not make it a point to have their own photographer accompany them to various engagements.

That sounds fair enough, Steve. Thank you. This is actually a satisfactory answer to my ongoing quest to find photos at the BBC shows.

I guess my frustration is that these concerts were special events being that they were recorded for the BBC.

And I've always wanted to put pictures with the music we have heard for so long-especially the 1971 Paris Theater show which was my first exposure to live Zep.

But it remains an enigma that no photos from fans have appeared-given that so many of Zep's concerts were captured by fans with cameras.

And its a shame that Led Zeppelin didn't make it a point to have a staff photographer like the Beatles or Rolling Stones.

Thanks again, Steve.

I'll offer a quick response, though there could well be more to it. It seems to me the BBC seldom concerned themselves with assigning a staff photographer to shoot the acts booked on those radio programs. Additionally, Led Zeppelin, unlike say The Beatles or The Rolling Stones, did not make it a point to have their own photographer accompany them to various engagements.

Likely I comment too late, but Slash's solos are far more predictable than Page's IMO , although I never heard that particular show where

Slash called Page "boring". Slash is certainly really good but one of the main reasons he stood out in the late 80's was not because

he was so immortal but because of the glut of shredders and hair metal at the time. What has he done so great since G'n R'

He should shut up, even though I myself learned some of his solos oh no , I stupidly didn't realize my post

wouldn't be paired with a 2008 entry. Commander, if necessary, delete at will.

Edited by Mithril46

Likely I comment too late, but Slash's solos are far more predictable than Page's IMO , although I never heard that particular show where

Slash called Page "boring".

Slash attended Jimmy's gig at The Forum in Los Angeles in October 1988 and afterward said that he loved Jimmy but that he "bores the f**k out of me sometimes". That particular show was by all accounts a solid performance, which was par for the course on the Outrider tour.

Hi Steve - with the passing of Dennis Sheehan yesterday, I was looking to find some pictures from 1977. Suprisingly I could not find any. Do you have any? I'd like to see him on the 1977 Tour era.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Steve - with the passing of Dennis Sheehan yesterday, I was looking to find some pictures from 1977. Suprisingly I could not find any. Do you have any? I'd like to see him on the 1977 Tour era.

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have any from 1977 and cannot find any online either. Perhaps Robert Plant or the Dennis Sheehan estate has at least one.

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/biographies/1438

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, I found this quote in the Oct 20th, 1970 edition of The Rambler, the student newspaper of Farmingdale State College on Long Island, NY.

I also talked to Mr. Bertrami, Director of College Housing, who was previously a Resident Counselor at Delhi University. Delhi has a much smaller student population than we at Farmingdale do, and they seem to be doing much better than we are as far as their concerts go. For example, they were able to present a group called Led Zeppelin, while we at Farmingdale can't?

Possible new date. Based on the article date, it would be 1969 or 70, and would likely be when they were in the area. I also assume that given the venue, it was booked before they became too well known. Any thoughts, ideas?

Steve, I found this quote in the Oct 20th, 1970 edition of The Rambler, the student newspaper of Farmingdale State College on Long Island, NY.

Possible new date. Based on the article date, it would be 1969 or 70, and would likely be when they were in the area. I also assume that given the venue, it was booked before they became too well known. Any thoughts, ideas?

The August 20, 1969 date in Schenectady seems to be just down the road from Delhi University. Perhaps the students had a hand in organizing that one? I'll check out the time line and see what else if anything turns up. Certainly worth looking into further.

Edited by SteveAJones

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I think I hate Pinterest. Now that everyone's sharing photos using it or Instagram or other such sites, photos are *everywhere* and generally without any info about when/where or a photo credit. Frustrating.

So I am here to ask about this photo (on Pinterest!) - the when/where and photo credit, but also the what: Namely, what is Jimmy Page doing with his left (fret) hand? I don't generally watch videos (I just listen to the music!) so I wouldn't see if Mr. Page does that a lot or not, though I haven't see that left hand position in other photos when he's doing bow work.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/419819996491279405/

Sometimes I think I hate Pinterest. Now that everyone's sharing photos using it or Instagram or other such sites, photos are *everywhere* and generally without any info about when/where or a photo credit. Frustrating.

So I am here to ask about this photo (on Pinterest!) - the when/where and photo credit, but also the what: Namely, what is Jimmy Page doing with his left (fret) hand? I don't generally watch videos (I just listen to the music!) so I wouldn't see if Mr. Page does that a lot or not, though I haven't see that left hand position in other photos when he's doing bow work.

Possibly muting the strings (to silence the echo effect or stop unintended feedback).

I just finished watching the movie, Scream for Help. I have not seen this movie since I heard that John Paul Jones did the score for this. A year or two after it was released way back in 1984 (I was about 15 or 16 years old at that time). It was like seeing it for the first time. I actually like this film.

The mystery I ask is: whatever happened to the main character, Christie Cromwell (real name: Rachael Kelly)? I thought she did a decent acting job and was pretty cute.

Edited to add: the title says that this is an "uncut" version of the film and there is brief nudity. If this is deemed inappropriate for this forum, please feel free to delete the film, but not my mystery question. Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by kingzoso

I just finished watching the movie, Scream for Help. I have not seen this movie since I heard that John Paul Jones did the score for this. A year or two after it was released way back in 1984 (I was about 15 or 16 years old at that time). It was like seeing it for the first time. I actually like this film.

The mystery I ask is: whatever happened to the main character, Christie Cromwell (real name: Rachael Kelly)? I thought she did a decent acting job and was pretty cute.

Edited to add: the title says that this is an "uncut" version of the film and there is brief nudity. If this is deemed inappropriate for this forum, please feel free to delete the film, but not my mystery question. Thanks in advance!!!

You may be able to find her on Facebook. She did have a bit part in a tv series about twelve years ago.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0446803/

You may be able to find her on Facebook. She did have a bit part in a tv series about twelve years ago.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0446803/

Thanks.

On another note: I just finished re-reading Dave Lewis' book, Celebration II and just began re-reading Dave's A Final Acclaim and I did notice that there is a Steve Jones acknowledgement at the beginning of both these books. All I can think of to say is congratulations for being name-checked in both of these great books and to know how this came to be, if you care to elaborate. If not, that is cool with me.

Edited by kingzoso

Thanks.

On another note: I just finished re-reading Dave Lewis' book, Celebration II and just began re-reading Dave's A Final Acclaim and I did notice that there is a Steve Jones acknowledgement at the beginning of both these books. All I can think of to say is congratulations for being name-checked in both of these great books and to know how this came to be, if you care to elaborate. If not, that is cool with me.

There's two books I won't be buying.

Not sure my reply got through on Pinterest so here I come again:

In the picture you posted he's muting the strings. The bang-bang bow section goes something like this: E5... A5... G5... B5...

Each chord is banged with the bow, the echo unit catches the sound and Page rapidly muted the strings to avoid any more feedback. The result:

E5

BANG-BANG!...bang......bang.....

A5

BANG-BANG!...bang...bang.....

Without muting the strings, the output would've been something like:

BANG-BANNNNNGGGGGG..

Man I hope my point gets through cause this has gotta be my most ridiculous post :P