Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SteveAJones

Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Moddey Dhoo said:

Not that bad...Actually I think he sings much better than Page IMO

WHAAAT???? Now you take that back!!!! :duel::rant: 

LOL :lol: He-he, just kidding with you Moddey. 
:peace:

Backing vocals in the studio I thought  Jimmy was fine. However live though? 
Well half the time he wouldn't bother to sing where he was needed,  or turn
his head away from the mic, and then the best was in '77 you had him doing it 
with a cig dangling out of his mouth *
Yeah Pagey that'll turn out well for ya.*  :wacko:

I don't think Jones is horrific.....but I will say The Battle Of Evermore  definitely
NOT my cup of tea with him singing Sandy's part. Bonzo or Jimmy would be my
preference to sing over Jonesy.  Bonzo Jr.  isn't too bad though. He sang back up
on some stuff at O2.  Did a decent job i m o.


Sorry thread readers 
:blush: back to Steve's mysteries.






 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KellyGirl said:

WHAAAT???? Now you take that back!!!! :duel::rant: 

LOL :lol: He-he, just kidding with you Moddey. 
:peace:

Backing vocals in the studio I thought  Jimmy was fine. However live though? 
Well half the time he wouldn't bother to sing where he was needed,  or turn
his head away from the mic, and then the best was in '77 you had him doing it 
with a cig dangling out of his mouth *
Yeah Pagey that'll turn out well for ya.*  :wacko:

I don't think Jones is horrific.....but I will say The Battle Of Evermore  definitely
NOT my cup of tea with him singing Sandy's part. Bonzo or Jimmy would be my
preference to sing over Jonesy.  Bonzo Jr.  isn't too bad though. He sang back up
on some stuff at O2.  Did a decent job i m o.


Sorry thread readers 
:blush: back to Steve's mysteries.






 

Lol... ?

Bonzo was a great backup singer, and Jason is good too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sam_webmaster, every seen or heard of one of these before? Legit?

  s-l1600.jpg

From the auction listing:

THIS IS A GREAT ORIGINAL ITEM A NIGHT SHIRT ONE WAS GIFTED TO EACH MEMBER OF THE BAND BY PETER GRANT ON THE 1977 US TOUR JOKINGLY TO TRY CURB THEIR WELL DOCUMENTED PARTYING EXCESSES EACH BAND MEMBER RECEIVED A SHIRT WITH THEIR NAME ON IT THIS IS ROBERT PLANTS IT HAS HIS NAME ON THE POCKET.. YOU WONT FIND ANOTHER
IT COMES WITH A WELL WORN RATHER SCRUFFY HANDWRITTEN  LETTER STATING THAT THE SHIRT WAS GIVEN TO THE VENDOR BY BRYAN GULLEY ZEPPELIN ROADIE AND SOMETIME ASSISTANT TO PETER GRANT, ALSO COMES WITH A COPY OF THE ESTABLISHED ROCK N ROLL MEMORABILIA AUCTION CATALOGUE PAGE WHERE IT IS LISTED ,DESCRIBED AND PICTURED AND WHERE I BOUGHT IT FROM. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2016 at 3:20 PM, SteveAJones said:

Not to my knowledge there hasn't. Seems to me alt mixes like that would have already surfaced on bootleg or in the recent remasters series if they did in fact exist.

I have heard the same thing about the 'ATCO'-style label press http://www.vjez.com/zep/default.asp?pagina=us33 . I have both and if the mixes have differences, I didn't notice them. The test pressing is mono, but is just a 'fold-down' of the stereo version. The 'ATCO' version has a pause between Black Mountainside and Communication Breakdown while the standard edition doesn't.

There was a big discussion on the Steve Hoffman board that has needle drops for comparison.

Edited by Pb!
incomplete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Pb! said:

Thanks for that Info and link!  I think my friend  mentioned a break between BMS and CB so maybe he had the stereo ATCO version.    I take it the mono test pressing did not have the gap?

I must have missed the samples and discussion on the Hoffman board.  Maybe I'll come across needledrops of these someday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the test press but never played it because the condition is iffy. I'll have to check it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve,  Talked to a person once in Helsinki about Led Zeppelins show there in 1970, he said the band went to Stockholm after the show because they felt the hotels there were not good enough. I found that statement rather odd and hard to believe, did they go on the Stockholm after the show ?

Also any idea how come they never played in Norway ? 

       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve heres another. I have never ever heard Jimmy Page mention Ritchie Blackmores name. in print or interview, I have always thought that was strange since they both came up around the same time and both are very gifted players playing on many sessions back in the 60's.

I asked Ross Halfin about this once and he said 'I don't know why but Jimmy is not a fan of Ritchie, I think it may have something to do with the past, but he has said Deep Purple has a great rhythm section'.

Sounds like Jimmy does not like him, any clue as to why ?

   

     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:05 AM, lynxwizard said:

Steve heres another. I have never ever heard Jimmy Page mention Ritchie Blackmores name. in print or interview, I have always thought that was strange since they both came up around the same time and both are very gifted players playing on many sessions back in the 60's.

I asked Ross Halfin about this once and he said 'I don't know why but Jimmy is not a fan of Ritchie, I think it may have something to do with the past, but he has said Deep Purple has a great rhythm section'.

Sounds like Jimmy does not like him, any clue as to why ? 

     

They played on some of the SAME sessions in the 1960s, though Ritchie is a little younger than Jimmy. I can't say for certain, but it seems there is a lack of positive connection between them.

However, there was also an interview he gave to Rolling Stone magazine that was published in their April 10, 1975 issue. In it, he says "I haven’t taken steps toward becoming a guitar star simply because I don’t fit the mold. That’s best left to people like Jimmy Page, who took the part. I always get embarrassed when I start flaunting myself. I could be very sexy onstage, but all that business is rather silly. I know I’m a great guitarist. I know I can blow any other guitarist off any stage..." In the same interview, the author reports that a label spokesman said that no one, not even Led Zeppelin, was selling more records worldwide than Deep Purple. 

I do remember there's an offstage photo of Page circa 1973 that I humorously captioned "Call me Ritchie Blackmore one more time and see what happens!" The resemblance then can be striking. 

Edited by SteveAJones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lynxwizard said:

Steve can you reply to my 1st question about Helsinki and Norway ?  thanks

I must have overlooked that question. I will reply from home in a couple of hours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

They played on some of the SAME sessions in the 1960s, though Ritchie is a little younger than Jimmy. I can't say for certain, but it seems there is a lack of positive connection between them.

However, there was also an interview he gave to Rolling Stone magazine that was published in their April 10, 1975 issue. In it, he says "I haven’t taken steps toward becoming a guitar star simply because I don’t fit the mold. That’s best left to people like Jimmy Page, who took the part. I always get embarrassed when I start flaunting myself. I could be very sexy onstage, but all that business is rather silly. I know I’m a great guitarist. I know I can blow any other guitarist off any stage..." In the same interview, the author reports that a label spokesman said that no one, not even Led Zeppelin, was selling more records worldwide than Deep Purple. 

I do remember there's an offstage photo of Page circa 1973 that I humorously captioned "Call me Ritchie Blackmore one more time and see what happens!" The resemblance then can be striking. 

I wonder if Plant is picking on Jimmy when in NY 77' he says,  "one that we're attempting for the second time for the benefit of a man who usually sits in the second row... a Ritchie Blackmore look-alike, wherever he's gone."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2016 at 8:52 AM, lynxwizard said:

Steve,  Talked to a person once in Helsinki about Led Zeppelins show there in 1970, he said the band went to Stockholm after the show because they felt the hotels there were not good enough. I found that statement rather odd and hard to believe, did they go on the Stockholm after the show ?

Also any idea how come they never played in Norway ?        

They checked into the Palace Hotel in Helsinki the morning of the show, according to the Finnish music magazine Suosikki (March 1970 issue). I show nothing to suggest they left for Stockholm that night, but perhaps they moved on the next morning as that was a day off before the next show in Goteborg. If so, it probably had nothing to do with the quality of that hotel and more to do with the many attractions and nightlife in Stockholm.

Norway was a casualty of cancellations. I show that Bergen (9/22/68), & Oslo (9/23 & 24/68) were cancelled, possibly in favor debut album rehearsals. A March 10, 1973 show at the Ekeberghallen in Oslo was allegedly cancelled following resistance from local authorities.

2 hours ago, No Quota said:

I wonder if Plant is picking on Jimmy when in NY 77' he says,  "one that we're attempting for the second time for the benefit of a man who usually sits in the second row... a Ritchie Blackmore look-alike, wherever he's gone."

Ritchie Blackmore seems to be the target of that joke, not Jimmy Page. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2009 at 1:56 AM, SteveAJones said:

Led Zeppelin at the House of Lewis

 

I am trying to confirm the date and location of these two photographs. They were allegedly taken while Peter Grant took them shopping in 1969, possibly in Boston. Exhaustive internet searching has provided no leads, with the exception of noting there is a 1538 3rd Avenue in New York.

 

1969HouseofLewis001.jpg

 

1969HouseofLewis002.jpg

That's definitely the foyer of the Kinetic Playground, and the other pic is the House Of Lewis location that was on the same block (around the corner - 1538 Lawrence Ave.).

 

I went inside the space that was the Kinetic Playground a few times in 2002-2003 ish and got to look around and take some pics. The entrance was at the South end of the building, and that's definitely the foyer of it. When I was in there it was very dark in that part of the space, and some daylight was coming thru from Clark street (the entrance was boarded up with plywood). I distinctly remember the floor pattern and the metal grate. The foyer was located what is right behind me in this photo!

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 7.48.07 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This from Stevie in Russia:

A German pressing of Presence LP, with a sticker of German tour dates I've never seen before.  1977 cancelled German tour?

presence_german-lp-77-tour-dates.jpg.0da

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2016 at 11:48 AM, KellyGirl said:

WHAAAT???? Now you take that back!!!! :duel::rant: 

LOL :lol: He-he, just kidding with you Moddey. 
:peace:

Backing vocals in the studio I thought  Jimmy was fine. However live though? 
Well half the time he wouldn't bother to sing where he was needed,  or turn
his head away from the mic, and then the best was in '77 you had him doing it 
with a cig dangling out of his mouth *
Yeah Pagey that'll turn out well for ya.*  :wacko:

I don't think Jones is horrific.....but I will say The Battle Of Evermore  definitely
NOT my cup of tea with him singing Sandy's part. Bonzo or Jimmy would be my
preference to sing over Jonesy.  Bonzo Jr.  isn't too bad though. He sang back up
on some stuff at O2.  Did a decent job i m o.


Sorry thread readers 
:blush: back to Steve's mysteries.






 

I read a Page interview during which the interviewer asked him about a single he recorded during his session musician days, She Just Satisfies.  Page laughed and said the record was best forgotten.  I got the impression that he doesn't have any illusions about his singing ability.  Jeff Beck and Ritchie Blackmore are two other great rock guitarists from that era who can't (or won't) sing.   By the way, has anyone here ever listened to She Just Satisfies?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

I read a Page interview during which the interviewer asked him about a single he recorded during his session musician days, She Just Satisfies.  Page laughed and said the record was best forgotten.  I got the impression that he doesn't have any illusions about his singing ability.  Jeff Beck and Ritchie Blackmore are two other great rock guitarists from that era who can't (or won't) sing.   By the way, has anyone here ever listened to She Just Satisfies?    

Yep. I have a copy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's on that 1990s Sessionman Vol.1 cd that you can sometimes still find. Also up on Youtube. Jimmy might not have had a "frontman's" voice, but his singing is nowhere near as bad as he makes out.    

Edited by Brigante

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2016 at 5:56 AM, sam_webmaster said:

This from Stevie in Russia:

A German pressing of Presence LP, with a sticker of German tour dates I've never seen before.  1977 cancelled German tour?

presence_german-lp-77-tour-dates.jpg.0da

 

 

Wow, this is interesting. Of all the places to find such info, a sticker on the album? No other confirmation anywhere I take it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2016 at 5:56 AM, sam_webmaster said:

This from Stevie in Russia:

A German pressing of Presence LP, with a sticker of German tour dates I've never seen before.  1977 cancelled German tour?

presence_german-lp-77-tour-dates.jpg.0da

 

 

A missed opportunity for more German performances. Unfortunate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always thought, and to this day still, find the woman on the cover of Presence extremely attractive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2016 at 9:56 PM, sam_webmaster said:

This from Stevie in Russia:

A German pressing of Presence LP, with a sticker of German tour dates I've never seen before.  1977 cancelled German tour?

presence_german-lp-77-tour-dates.jpg.0da

 

 

I'm thinking it's a hoax as it's too far-fetched to believe legitimate dates made their way onto an album sticker without a shred of corroboration (a poster, press reports, etc). Intriguing though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I'm thinking it's a hoax as it's too far-fetched to believe legitimate dates made their way onto an album sticker without a shred of corroboration (a poster, press reports, etc). Intriguing though.

Agree: Hoax or pressing error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I'm thinking it's a hoax as it's too far-fetched to believe legitimate dates made their way onto an album sticker without a shred of corroboration (a poster, press reports, etc). Intriguing though.

I've been doing a little research of those dates by venue to see if the sticker was meant for another band touring at the time - no hits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this on a Facebook site, any ideas to where this is from?

I'm thinking US early 69 due to the price and reference to the New Yardbirds. Also a cover charge usually refers to a club/bar. 

Could also be fake (reference to New Yardbirds, the line about the earplugs, and the need to put "Heavy Blues Rock" make me suspicious).

12718334_10209267703708379_3272687197248700420_n.jpg

Edited by thozil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×