Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

• 4 months later...
56 minutes ago, And You Know How It Is? said:

Hi Steve,

Don't think this one has been addressed before: why was Bonzo the only Zep member not to attend Richard Cole's wedding in September 1978? I think it might possibly be because he got in a car wreck and had broken ribs around that time? Thanks

According to Dave Lewis' book Led Zeppelin: The Concert File they all attended the double wedding reception for Richard Cole and Simon Kirke. However, come to think of it I don't recall seeing Bonham in any of the few photos that have circulated from the event. I'll put this question forward to Richard Cole for clarification. If he does not remember for certain than I can contact a friend of Bonzo's who might know.

On 9/19/2016 at 8:19 PM, apantherfrommd said:

41RfPOIPaNL.jpg The closet they came to Italy in the Winter of '70 was

1970, March 9 - Monday VIENNA, AUSTRIA

We would have had the first early video of Since I've Been Loving You.

But we still have RAH from two months before.

Edited by dazedjeffy

Steve, not sure this is the appropriate thread as it is a mystery which precedes Zeppelin, but while reading the Barney Hoskyns "Trampled Underfoot" book recently, I saw a quote from Terry Manning (P.85) about how Jimmy Page had chatted with him when they first met in 1969, about his session work. He said something about "some records Jimmy played on which still aren't common knowledge, where he was the secret guitarist". It reminded me of a quote I saw in an interview with (I think) Bobby Graham about how sometimes pop bands never actually knew they were replaced by studio musicians because the session work was done after the band had left the studio. (as opposed to something like Nashville Teens, say, where it would've been done with the band present & they would have been fully aware there were studio musicians on their record).

Question is, do you, or does anyone on this forum know, which bands / tracks Manning was referring to?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 3:16 AM, 76229 said:

Steve, not sure this is the appropriate thread as it is a mystery which precedes Zeppelin, but while reading the Barney Hoskyns "Trampled Underfoot" book recently, I saw a quote from Terry Manning (P.85) about how Jimmy Page had chatted with him when they first met in 1969, about his session work. He said something about "some records Jimmy played on which still aren't common knowledge, where he was the secret guitarist". It reminded me of a quote I saw in an interview with (I think) Bobby Graham about how sometimes pop bands never actually knew they were replaced by studio musicians because the session work was done after the band had left the studio. (as opposed to something like Nashville Teens, say, where it would've been done with the band present & they would have been fully aware there were studio musicians on their record).

Question is, do you, or does anyone on this forum know, which bands / tracks Manning was referring to?

Sorry, I didn't see this until now. I will look into it, but as has been stated there was a lot of cloak and dagger moves being made back then.

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Sorry, I didn't see this until now. I will look into it, but as has been stated there was a lot of cloak and dagger moves being made back then.

OK, no worries Steve, i appreciate any help with this. I love this thread by the way, and the photo mysteries thread! Tbh I guess it'll be tricky to find out, I was just curious. Terry Manning seems like a reliable source & I was intrigued, in these days of "you can find anything on the 'net", that any of JP's session work could still be a secret.

1 hour ago, 76229 said:

OK, no worries Steve, i appreciate any help with this. I love this thread by the way, and the photo mysteries thread! Tbh I guess it'll be tricky to find out, I was just curious. Terry Manning seems like a reliable source & I was intrigued, in these days of "you can find anything on the 'net", that any of JP's session work could still be a secret.

I don't think it's a secret so much as in some cases it gets contentious and in many cases Jimmy simply does not remember details.

Edited to add: I've probably made this campaign promise before but I do have about a hundred pages of Pages session details I've been meaning to scan and post online. If all goes well, I'll get that done soon.  I'm warming up on the touchlines, and my intent is to be seen scanning by the end of this year. :lol:

Edited by SteveAJones

Page/Beck/Clapton Jam (1983)

A reputable fan/collector on Facebook was telling me he is aware of a Page/Beck/Clapton jam having been held in the gardens of Jimmy's home at the time, The Old Mill House in Clewer Village, around the time of the ARMS shows (1983). Furthermore, he said he's heard the tape, and that it lasts about 15 minutes. Apparently the neighbors complained? My notes don't show anything on this, and I would recall having heard a tape like that. So my question for the forum is, anyone else out there have something of interest they can add to this? I'm looking for something substantive, not pointless speculation. Thanks!

On October 10, 2016 at 8:28 PM, SteveAJones said:

A reputable fan/collector on Facebook was telling me he is aware of a Page/Beck/Clapton jam having been held in the gardens of Jimmy's home at the time, The Old Mill House in Clewer Village, around the time of the ARMS shows (1983). Furthermore, he said he's heard the tape, and that it lasts about 15 minutes. Apparently the neighbors complained? My notes don't show anything on this, and I would recall having heard a tape like that. So my question for the forum is, anyone else out there have something of interest they can add to this? I'm looking for something substantive, not pointless speculation. Thanks!

Steve I recall the VHS tape of the Arms show and I haven't seen it in years but in the opening they show the entire lineup rehearsing and I seem to recall it was in a house. They go around and ask most whom they've worked with before. There is mercifully only a 1-2 second clip of Jimmy saying "I've worked with Jeff" I believe is all is said. I say mercifully because Jimmy looks like death warmed over. 

Perhaps  a recording of this rehearsal was leaked somehow. It definitely appeared to have been recorded in a house not a rehearsal soundstage. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2016 at 7:57 AM, StringBender said:

Steve I recall the VHS tape of the Arms show and I haven't seen it in years but in the opening they show the entire lineup rehearsing and I seem to recall it was in a house. They go around and ask most whom they've worked with before. There is mercifully only a 1-2 second clip of Jimmy saying "I've worked with Jeff" I believe is all is said. I say mercifully because Jimmy looks like death warmed over. 

Perhaps  a recording of this rehearsal was leaked somehow. It definitely appeared to have been recorded in a house not a rehearsal soundstage. 

Many thanks. Fading memories (or a bootleg tape) of that does sound more plausible than a Page/Clapton/Beck garden jam at the Old MIll House. As a by the way, when Andy Fairweather Low was in Tokyo last year I asked about those rehearsals and this photo in particular. He said those ARMS rehearsals were held at Glyn Johns home.

1983%20ARMS%20Outtake_zpseeaewjze.jpg

In this AC/DC photograph, The Pretty Things poster seems to be advertising their single Tonight, released may 28, 1976. At first glance, I thought the Led Zeppelin poster was possibly promoting The Song Remains The Same, but it would have been too soon for that and TSRTS font is not used on it. Also, the whole shot looks staged, meaning everything in it could be photographer's props. Can anyone confirm the Led Zeppelin poster seen in this shot is an authentic promo poster and provide a non obscured example of it? I suspect it's actually a "personality poster" of some sort sold in record stores at the time.

ac%20dc_zpswbvoxhz0.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

On 9/25/2008 at 9:07 PM, SteveAJones said:

Jimmy Page's Handwriting

Jimmy's notes explaining his concept for the laser pyramid violin bow solo he would perform during the 1979 Knebworth Festival:

1979LaserCueSheet.jpg

Steve, do you own this piece of memorabilia?  Or do you know who does?  

On 10/21/2016 at 0:35 AM, SteveAJones said:

In this AC/DC photograph, The Pretty Things poster seems to be advertising their single Tonight, released may 28, 1976. At first glance, I thought the Led Zeppelin poster was possibly promoting The Song Remains The Same, but it would have been too soon for that and TSRTS font is not used on it. Also, the whole shot looks staged, meaning everything in it could be photographer's props. Can anyone confirm the Led Zeppelin poster seen in this shot is an authentic promo poster and provide a non obscured example of it? I suspect it's actually a "personality poster" of some sort sold in record stores at the time.

ac%20dc_zpswbvoxhz0.jpg

That's interesting, I know someone who lives in Australia and will ask

Edited by SymphonyX

On 10/10/2016 at 8:28 PM, SteveAJones said:

Hang on, I could swear the rehearsals were done at Pages Sol Studios in Berkshire.  I visited the studio back in the 80s, sure looked like what's on video although to be honest I haven't seen that footage in quite some time.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2016 at 7:41 PM, bluecongo said:

Hang on, I could swear the rehearsals were done at Pages Sol Studios in Berkshire.  I visited the studio back in the 80s, sure looked like what's on video although to be honest I haven't seen that footage in quite some time.   

No, rehearsals were held as presented above. 

Rockpile in Toronto on August 18, 1969:

The second set is not only a superb performance by the band but also in very good sound, especially considering the period. Plant's vocals are at the height of his powers, being pushed to the limit by Page's guitar playing. Bonzo's immortal introduction for Robert as coming "straight from the Labour Club at Cradley Heath" are typical of the humour in this performance.

5%20Graingers%20Lane_zpsl6hqjnok.jpg

Cradley Heath Labour Club, 5 Graingers Lane, B64 6AH Cradley Heath

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

Two questions on the October 1972 Bombay Recording Sessions:

1. Why didn't Robert sing the lyrics on Four Sticks?

2. Did Jimmy and Robert consider recording any other Zep songs for this session besides Friends and Four Sticks? They had by that time, 5 recorded albums (even though Houses was in the can and not released until March '73, they played 5 of those 8 tracks on that album live by the time they got to this recording session). Thinking about 1994's reunion, and songs they played with that Orchestra, other options like Rain Song and Since I've Been Loving You could have been attempted, so very curious if any attempts were considered for other Zep songs at that session.

Thanks 

On 12/16/2016 at 3:22 AM, And You Know How It Is? said:

Hi Steve,

Two questions on the October 1972 Bombay Recording Sessions:

1. Why didn't Robert sing the lyrics on Four Sticks?

2. Did Jimmy and Robert consider recording any other Zep songs for this session besides Friends and Four Sticks? They had by that time, 5 recorded albums (even though Houses was in the can and not released until March '73, they played 5 of those 8 tracks on that album live by the time they got to this recording session). Thinking about 1994's reunion, and songs they played with that Orchestra, other options like Rain Song and Since I've Been Loving You could have been attempted, so very curious if any attempts were considered for other Zep songs at that session.

Thanks 

"From Bangkok, we flew to Bombay, where Jimmy and Robert had made arrangements to do some experimental recording. Jimmy had brought with him a Stellavox qaudriphonic field recorder that was several generations more sophisticated than anything the Indians had ever seen. 

"The Stellavox had been custom-made to Jimmy's specifications in Switzerland, and it produced a higher quality sound that all of the eight-track studios in Bombay combined… Robert, Jimmy, and their Indian colleagues recorded raga-style renditions of the some early Zeppelin songs, including Friends and Four Sticks."

-- RICHARD COLE

Working with late flutist and composer Vijay Raghav Rao and an ensemble that included sarangi player Ustad Sultan Khan, percussionists and violin, shehnai and tambura players, Page and Plant ran through several takes of Friends and Four Sticks. Led Zeppelin has never officially released any tracks from the Mumbai session though several bootlegs have since emerged. Especially fascinating is a 31-minute run through Friends, during which Page can be heard explaining the bars and scales to Rao, who gamely tries to convey his instructions to the Indian musicians who have clearly never collaborated with rock musicians.

At one stage, an apparently bored violin player begins playing snatches from the intro of RD Burman's Dum Maro Dum (from the 1971 film Hare Rama Hare Krishna), which was, to the musician, probably more exciting than the music of Led Zeppelin, which he had never heard.

The session produced a polished final take of Friends featuring Plant on vocals, Page on acoustic guitar and the Indian orchestra (wrongly referred to on the bootlegs as Bombay Symphony Orchestra) and a version of Four Sticks without vocals.

Cole wrote in his book that there were never any plans to release these recordings. Besides, the quality of the session did not rise to Page's perfectionist standards and the guitarist put the tapes from the session in storage in his extensive archive.

Interestingly, Page would repurpose the arrangements for these two tunes for the No Quarter unplugged album 22 years later and record them with Egyptian and Moroccan musicians.

Edited by SteveAJones

Hi, I've got a question/mystery related to this quote from Hammer of the Gods:

"In America in 1976, pollsters for the two presidential campaigns found such overwhelming Led Zeppelin graph peaks on their demographic charts that both Democrat and Republican candidates appeared to endorse Led Zeppelin! The daughter of the president, Susan Ford, said on the Dick Cavett Show that Led Zeppelin was her favorite group. Speaking at the National Association of Record Manufacturers convention, Jimmy Carter reminisced about listening to Led Zeppelin records during all-night sessions when he was governor of Georgia".

Is there anything besides Hammer of the Gods which confirms this? Because as far as I can tell, Dick Cavett didn't even have a show in 1976. Apparently the Ford family, Susan included, appeared on Cavett in 1974, and so perhaps the Led Zeppelin reference actually happened there, but I haven't been able to find any video or transcripts or much of anything about that episode. So I thought I'd toss it out to Those Who Know Exponentially More Than I to see if anyone had any info on this. Thanks!