Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SteveAJones

Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

I read a Page interview during which the interviewer asked him about a single he recorded during his session musician days, She Just Satisfies.  Page laughed and said the record was best forgotten.  I got the impression that he doesn't have any illusions about his singing ability.  Jeff Beck and Ritchie Blackmore are two other great rock guitarists from that era who can't (or won't) sing.   By the way, has anyone here ever listened to She Just Satisfies?    

Yep. I have a copy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's on that 1990s Sessionman Vol.1 cd that you can sometimes still find. Also up on Youtube. Jimmy might not have had a "frontman's" voice, but his singing is nowhere near as bad as he makes out.    

Edited by Brigante

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2016 at 5:56 AM, sam_webmaster said:

This from Stevie in Russia:

A German pressing of Presence LP, with a sticker of German tour dates I've never seen before.  1977 cancelled German tour?

presence_german-lp-77-tour-dates.jpg.0da

 

 

Wow, this is interesting. Of all the places to find such info, a sticker on the album? No other confirmation anywhere I take it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2016 at 5:56 AM, sam_webmaster said:

This from Stevie in Russia:

A German pressing of Presence LP, with a sticker of German tour dates I've never seen before.  1977 cancelled German tour?

presence_german-lp-77-tour-dates.jpg.0da

 

 

A missed opportunity for more German performances. Unfortunate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always thought, and to this day still, find the woman on the cover of Presence extremely attractive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2016 at 9:56 PM, sam_webmaster said:

This from Stevie in Russia:

A German pressing of Presence LP, with a sticker of German tour dates I've never seen before.  1977 cancelled German tour?

presence_german-lp-77-tour-dates.jpg.0da

 

 

I'm thinking it's a hoax as it's too far-fetched to believe legitimate dates made their way onto an album sticker without a shred of corroboration (a poster, press reports, etc). Intriguing though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I'm thinking it's a hoax as it's too far-fetched to believe legitimate dates made their way onto an album sticker without a shred of corroboration (a poster, press reports, etc). Intriguing though.

Agree: Hoax or pressing error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I'm thinking it's a hoax as it's too far-fetched to believe legitimate dates made their way onto an album sticker without a shred of corroboration (a poster, press reports, etc). Intriguing though.

I've been doing a little research of those dates by venue to see if the sticker was meant for another band touring at the time - no hits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this on a Facebook site, any ideas to where this is from?

I'm thinking US early 69 due to the price and reference to the New Yardbirds. Also a cover charge usually refers to a club/bar. 

Could also be fake (reference to New Yardbirds, the line about the earplugs, and the need to put "Heavy Blues Rock" make me suspicious).

12718334_10209267703708379_3272687197248700420_n.jpg

Edited by thozil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2016 at 2:34 AM, thozil said:

Found this on a Facebook site, any ideas to where this is from?

I'm thinking US early 69 due to the price and reference to the New Yardbirds. Also a cover charge usually refers to a club/bar. 

Could also be fake (reference to New Yardbirds, the line about the earplugs, and the need to put "Heavy Blues Rock" make me suspicious).

12718334_10209267703708379_3272687197248700420_n.jpg

Yes, I too strongly suspect this is a fake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20. April 2016 at 4:26 PM, LZ77 said:

I've been doing a little research of those dates by venue to see if the sticker was meant for another band touring at the time - no hits.

apparently the Schleyerhalle in Stuttgart opened only in 1983.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanns-Martin-Schleyer-Halle

The guy the venue was named after, Hanns Martin Schleyer was shot dead by the R.A.F. in October 1977.

also the "tour dates sticker" looks just like a cheap photoshop job, even in angle.

no LZ german tour in 77 !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Steve,

Don't think this one has been addressed before: why was Bonzo the only Zep member not to attend Richard Cole's wedding in September 1978? I think it might possibly be because he got in a car wreck and had broken ribs around that time? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, And You Know How It Is? said:

Hi Steve,

Don't think this one has been addressed before: why was Bonzo the only Zep member not to attend Richard Cole's wedding in September 1978? I think it might possibly be because he got in a car wreck and had broken ribs around that time? Thanks

According to Dave Lewis' book Led Zeppelin: The Concert File they all attended the double wedding reception for Richard Cole and Simon Kirke. However, come to think of it I don't recall seeing Bonham in any of the few photos that have circulated from the event. I'll put this question forward to Richard Cole for clarification. If he does not remember for certain than I can contact a friend of Bonzo's who might know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

February 1970:

this would have been nice...

1970-02-italiantv-film.jpg

 

41RfPOIPaNL.jpg The closet they came to Italy in the Winter of '70 was

1970, March 9 - Monday VIENNA, AUSTRIA

We would have had the first early video of Since I've Been Loving You.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2016 at 8:19 PM, apantherfrommd said:

41RfPOIPaNL.jpg The closet they came to Italy in the Winter of '70 was

1970, March 9 - Monday VIENNA, AUSTRIA

We would have had the first early video of Since I've Been Loving You.

But we still have RAH from two months before.

Edited by dazedjeffy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve, not sure this is the appropriate thread as it is a mystery which precedes Zeppelin, but while reading the Barney Hoskyns "Trampled Underfoot" book recently, I saw a quote from Terry Manning (P.85) about how Jimmy Page had chatted with him when they first met in 1969, about his session work. He said something about "some records Jimmy played on which still aren't common knowledge, where he was the secret guitarist". It reminded me of a quote I saw in an interview with (I think) Bobby Graham about how sometimes pop bands never actually knew they were replaced by studio musicians because the session work was done after the band had left the studio. (as opposed to something like Nashville Teens, say, where it would've been done with the band present & they would have been fully aware there were studio musicians on their record).

 

Question is, do you, or does anyone on this forum know, which bands / tracks Manning was referring to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 3:16 AM, 76229 said:

Steve, not sure this is the appropriate thread as it is a mystery which precedes Zeppelin, but while reading the Barney Hoskyns "Trampled Underfoot" book recently, I saw a quote from Terry Manning (P.85) about how Jimmy Page had chatted with him when they first met in 1969, about his session work. He said something about "some records Jimmy played on which still aren't common knowledge, where he was the secret guitarist". It reminded me of a quote I saw in an interview with (I think) Bobby Graham about how sometimes pop bands never actually knew they were replaced by studio musicians because the session work was done after the band had left the studio. (as opposed to something like Nashville Teens, say, where it would've been done with the band present & they would have been fully aware there were studio musicians on their record).

 

Question is, do you, or does anyone on this forum know, which bands / tracks Manning was referring to?

Sorry, I didn't see this until now. I will look into it, but as has been stated there was a lot of cloak and dagger moves being made back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the woman Jimmy greets at 0:18 / 2:00 Mo Jones? Jimmy & John Paul Jones received Lifetime Achievement Award during the ceremony. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Sorry, I didn't see this until now. I will look into it, but as has been stated there was a lot of cloak and dagger moves being made back then.

OK, no worries Steve, i appreciate any help with this. I love this thread by the way, and the photo mysteries thread! Tbh I guess it'll be tricky to find out, I was just curious. Terry Manning seems like a reliable source & I was intrigued, in these days of "you can find anything on the 'net", that any of JP's session work could still be a secret.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 76229 said:

OK, no worries Steve, i appreciate any help with this. I love this thread by the way, and the photo mysteries thread! Tbh I guess it'll be tricky to find out, I was just curious. Terry Manning seems like a reliable source & I was intrigued, in these days of "you can find anything on the 'net", that any of JP's session work could still be a secret.

I don't think it's a secret so much as in some cases it gets contentious and in many cases Jimmy simply does not remember details.

Edited to add: I've probably made this campaign promise before but I do have about a hundred pages of Pages session details I've been meaning to scan and post online. If all goes well, I'll get that done soon.  I'm warming up on the touchlines, and my intent is to be seen scanning by the end of this year. :lol:

Edited by SteveAJones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Page/Beck/Clapton Jam (1983)

A reputable fan/collector on Facebook was telling me he is aware of a Page/Beck/Clapton jam having been held in the gardens of Jimmy's home at the time, The Old Mill House in Clewer Village, around the time of the ARMS shows (1983). Furthermore, he said he's heard the tape, and that it lasts about 15 minutes. Apparently the neighbors complained? My notes don't show anything on this, and I would recall having heard a tape like that. So my question for the forum is, anyone else out there have something of interest they can add to this? I'm looking for something substantive, not pointless speculation. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 10, 2016 at 8:28 PM, SteveAJones said:

Page/Beck/Clapton Jam (1983)

A reputable fan/collector on Facebook was telling me he is aware of a Page/Beck/Clapton jam having been held in the gardens of Jimmy's home at the time, The Old Mill House in Clewer Village, around the time of the ARMS shows (1983). Furthermore, he said he's heard the tape, and that it lasts about 15 minutes. Apparently the neighbors complained? My notes don't show anything on this, and I would recall having heard a tape like that. So my question for the forum is, anyone else out there have something of interest they can add to this? I'm looking for something substantive, not pointless speculation. Thanks!

Steve I recall the VHS tape of the Arms show and I haven't seen it in years but in the opening they show the entire lineup rehearsing and I seem to recall it was in a house. They go around and ask most whom they've worked with before. There is mercifully only a 1-2 second clip of Jimmy saying "I've worked with Jeff" I believe is all is said. I say mercifully because Jimmy looks like death warmed over. 

Perhaps  a recording of this rehearsal was leaked somehow. It definitely appeared to have been recorded in a house not a rehearsal soundstage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2016 at 7:57 AM, StringBender said:

Steve I recall the VHS tape of the Arms show and I haven't seen it in years but in the opening they show the entire lineup rehearsing and I seem to recall it was in a house. They go around and ask most whom they've worked with before. There is mercifully only a 1-2 second clip of Jimmy saying "I've worked with Jeff" I believe is all is said. I say mercifully because Jimmy looks like death warmed over. 

Perhaps  a recording of this rehearsal was leaked somehow. It definitely appeared to have been recorded in a house not a rehearsal soundstage. 

Many thanks. Fading memories (or a bootleg tape) of that does sound more plausible than a Page/Clapton/Beck garden jam at the Old MIll House. As a by the way, when Andy Fairweather Low was in Tokyo last year I asked about those rehearsals and this photo in particular. He said those ARMS rehearsals were held at Glyn Johns home.

1983%20ARMS%20Outtake_zpseeaewjze.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×