Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SteveAJones

Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

I know, strange question, but a lot of Zeppelin's videos have them. I lost my booklet but by memory it says something similar to my original post? In the section talking about baking their film at 70-something degrees and all that. Weird stuff for a booklet, but got my curiosity.

Posted (edited)

The banding is known as "microphony". To quote from Wikipedia - "The term may also be used to describe a video artifact common in older video cameras. Before the introduction of solid-state CCD sensors to produce the image, vacuum tubes performed this task. Loud noises in the studio, such as rock bands or gunshot effects would cause the tubes to vibrate, producing a characteristic undesirable horizontal banding in the image."

I remember reading an article about the official Live Aid DVD compilation which mentioned how microphony caused the same kind of horizontal banding from time to time.

Edited by nigelss

On 12/31/2009 at 2:02 AM, sam_webmaster said:

I'm not too sure about the date, but it was definitely in Life magazine at some point around the late/mid-1980s.

Edit:

Here it is:

Elvis.com link

"Robert Plant made his second visit to Graceland this week. Plant's first visit was in 1987 for a LIFE Magazine photo shoot with other music stars for the magazine's feature commemorating the 10th anniversary of Elvis's passing."

I've learned a photo of Robert with Bernard Lansky was published in a book about the clothier (at 5:03 in video below). It seems to have been taken at their store at the Peabody Hotel circa 2007-08 when he was spending a lot time in Tennessee working with Alison Krauss. The book was published in 2010.

Edited by SteveAJones

Got this from Howard Mylett years ago... This is supposedly a rehearsal at the Rainbow Theatre 1972

72-73-uk-soundcheck1.jpg