Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SteveAJones

Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The banding is known as "microphony". To quote from Wikipedia - "The term may also be used to describe a video artifact common in older video cameras. Before the introduction of solid-state CCD sensors to produce the image, vacuum tubes performed this task. Loud noises in the studio, such as rock bands or gunshot effects would cause the tubes to vibrate, producing a characteristic undesirable horizontal banding in the image."

I remember reading an article about the official Live Aid DVD compilation which mentioned how microphony caused the same kind of horizontal banding from time to time.

Edited by nigelss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2009 at 2:02 AM, sam_webmaster said:

I'm not too sure about the date, but it was definitely in Life magazine at some point around the late/mid-1980s.

Edit:

Here it is:

Elvis.com link

"Robert Plant made his second visit to Graceland this week. Plant's first visit was in 1987 for a LIFE Magazine photo shoot with other music stars for the magazine's feature commemorating the 10th anniversary of Elvis's passing."

I've learned a photo of Robert with Bernard Lansky was published in a book about the clothier (at 5:03 in video below). It seems to have been taken at their store at the Peabody Hotel circa 2007-08 when he was spending a lot time in Tennessee working with Alison Krauss. The book was published in 2010.

 

Edited by SteveAJones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got this from Howard Mylett years ago... This is supposedly a rehearsal at the Rainbow Theatre 1972

72-73-uk-soundcheck1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi SAJ:)

As Im browsing through this topic and seeing that its almost 10 years to the day since you started it, my question is since started, what "mysteries" are the ones that you remember most? 

THX

PS I saw something about a book RP was reading that influenced writing STH. . Any titles that he read that you could possibly recommend??

THX 2.0:))

 

Edited by Bozoso73

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

Hi SAJ:)

As Im browsing through this topic and seeing that its almost 10 years to the day since you started it, my question is since started, what "mysteries" are the ones that you remember most? 

THX

PS I saw something about a book RP was reading that influenced writing STH. . Any titles that he read that you could possibly recommend??

THX 2.0:))

 

Hi Bozoso73,

With regard to lyrics for StH, Robert Plant has cited Magic Arts in Celtic Britain by Lewis Spence as a source of inspiration.  

As with any ten year adventure, we usually forget more than we remember. In that respect, scrolling through this thread, which I haven't done in awhile, would certainly be a cornucopia of memory joggers. It's funny but the ones I tend to recall the most are the silly and often still unresolved "mysteries" such as if Eddie Van Halen approached John Bonham at a club in Los Angeles in 1975 or if Jimmy was in New Orleans when the 1977 tour was postponed. All that said, the one mystery I recall the most isn't even in this thread (I don't think). I once sent an inquiry to Sam asking if he could put me out of my misery by asking JPJ if he'd confirm where his night time horse ride in TSRTS was filmed, specifically the scenes among the tombstones.  JPJ confirmed the location.

From: sam (led-zeppelin.com) <sam@led-zeppelin.com>
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 5:06 PM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: re: led zep
 
Hi Steve,

I asked JPJ the questions you wanted to know:

He said he did in fact perform with Herman's Hermits in Germany on the  
"Yardley Tour", playing hammond organ for the string arrangements he  
did for those songs. He recalled playing in Hamburg, but wasn't sure  
about any other dates.

Regarding the church in The Song Remains the Same - He recalls it  
being in Withyham, East Sussex, probably St. Michael's.

So there you have it!

all the best,
sam
 
--------------------------------

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2017 at 9:23 PM, sam_webmaster said:

Got this from Howard Mylett years ago... This is supposedly a rehearsal at the Rainbow Theatre 1972

72-73-uk-soundcheck1.jpg

Mick Hinton's tour itinerary shows rehearsals at the Rainbow Theatre in London on Nov 27 & 28 1972. JPJ's coat and Jimmy's coat at far right match those in these photos taken just a few months later.

 

 

jacket 1.jpg

jacket 2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Mick Hinton's tour itinerary shows rehearsals at the Rainbow Theatre in London on Nov 27 & 28 1972. JPJ's coat and Jimmy's coat at far right match those in these photos taken just a few months later.

 

yes, but JPJ didn't cut his hair short like that until about mid-December '72, before the Birmingham show. Looks like short hair in the rehearsal pic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Hi Bozoso73,

With regard to lyrics for StH, Robert Plant has cited Magic Arts in Celtic Britain by Lewis Spence as a source of inspiration.  

As with any ten year adventure, we usually forget more than we remember. In that respect, scrolling through this thread, which I haven't done in awhile, would certainly be a cornucopia of memory joggers. It's funny but the ones I tend to recall the most are the silly and often still unresolved "mysteries" such as if Eddie Van Halen approached John Bonham at a club in Los Angeles in 1975 or if Jimmy was in New Orleans when the 1977 tour was postponed. All that said, the one mystery I recall the most isn't even in this thread (I don't think). I once sent an inquiry to Sam asking if he could put me out of my misery by asking JPJ if he'd confirm where his night time horse ride in TSRTS was filmed, specifically the scenes among the tombstones.  JPJ confirmed the location.

From: sam (led-zeppelin.com) <sam@led-zeppelin.com>
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 5:06 PM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx
Subject: re: led zep
 
Hi Steve,

I asked JPJ the questions you wanted to know:

He said he did in fact perform with Herman's Hermits in Germany on the  
"Yardley Tour", playing hammond organ for the string arrangements he  
did for those songs. He recalled playing in Hamburg, but wasn't sure  
about any other dates.

Regarding the church in The Song Remains the Same - He recalls it  
being in Withyham, East Sussex, probably St. Michael's.

So there you have it!

all the best,
sam
 
--------------------------------

 

 

Thanks Mr. Jones:) Its a fascinating thread that you started and the reading can go on for hours (as it did last night). . People really do dig out off the wall questions for you and I think "he wont know" but you do!:):) Thanks again for answering my off the wall questions:):)

PS One more question if I may The "Studio Magik Sessions" I have has 20 hours of outtakes (Im sure you have it as well). .Was this part of the fleecing of JP's house in the 80's? I searched for it and couldnt find any info. .Plus were the SBDs of 1977 taken from this as well? 

THX again:):)

Edited by Bozoso73

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

yes, but JPJ didn't cut his hair short like that until about mid-December '72, before the Birmingham show. Looks like short hair in the rehearsal pic.

I dunno, still looks long to me in that pic, isn't that hair on his shoulder? Anyway - cool photo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

yes, but JPJ didn't cut his hair short like that until about mid-December '72, before the Birmingham show. Looks like short hair in the rehearsal pic.

Hmm. Well, I think you meant to say Brighton (12/20/72) which Howard did attend so perhaps he also meant to say Brighton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

PS One more question if I may The "Studio Magik Sessions" I have has 20 hours of outtakes (Im sure you have it as well). .Was this part of the fleecing of JP's house in the 80's? I searched for it and couldnt find any info. .Plus were the SBDs of 1977 taken from this as well? 

If you'll accept a soundbite answer with regard to The Studio Magik Sessions release, it seems to me some but not all. 

http://musictravellers.blogspot.jp/2014/09/led-zeppelin-studio-magik-sessions-1968.html

 

With regard to the 1977 soundboards, if I'm not mistaken there are currently seven in circulation. I'm fairly certain Cleveland was among the stolen material because it was initially released on cd as early as 1989, around the same time as most if not all of the 1980 soundboards which we know for certain were among the stolen material. Other 1977 soundboards were released several years later, which seems to suggest they came form other sources (perhaps a former Showco employee, etc).

http://www.ledzeppelin-database.com/geekbaseweb/sourcelist.aspx?formatid=6&sort=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CD 15 of "Studio Magik" contains some fishy stuff. That's not really 5 takes of Ten Years Gone, for example, they drop the needle on the first half of the record and call it "take one", play the end of the record ("take two") and play some of the middle ("take three") etc... Typical bootlegger nonsense. Sorry to stray, but it came up and I just sampled that disc the other night, so it was an opportunity to vent. Carry on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

If you'll accept a soundbite answer with regard to The Studio Magik Sessions release, it seems to me some but not all. 

http://musictravellers.blogspot.jp/2014/09/led-zeppelin-studio-magik-sessions-1968.html

 

With regard to the 1977 soundboards, if I'm not mistaken there are currently seven in circulation. I'm fairly certain Cleveland was among the stolen material because it was initially released on cd as early as 1989, around the same time as most if not all of the 1980 soundboards which we know for certain were among the stolen material. Other 1977 soundboards were released several years later, which seems to suggest they came form other sources (perhaps a former Showco employee, etc).

http://www.ledzeppelin-database.com/geekbaseweb/sourcelist.aspx?formatid=6&sort=0

THX SAJ

 

47 minutes ago, badgeholder said:

CD 15 of "Studio Magik" contains some fishy stuff. That's not really 5 takes of Ten Years Gone, for example, they drop the needle on the first half of the record and call it "take one", play the end of the record ("take two") and play some of the middle ("take three") etc... Typical bootlegger nonsense. Sorry to stray, but it came up and I just sampled that disc the other night, so it was an opportunity to vent. Carry on...

listening now to TYG on SMS to confirm . . mine doesnt do that (my friend passed it on to me). . still some incredible JP stuff within the 20 hrs. I have. . 

PS I do have it. . "like dropping a needle" 

Edited by Bozoso73

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, badgeholder said:

CD 15 of "Studio Magik" contains some fishy stuff. That's not really 5 takes of Ten Years Gone, for example, they drop the needle on the first half of the record and call it "take one", play the end of the record ("take two") and play some of the middle ("take three") etc... Typical bootlegger nonsense. Sorry to stray, but it came up and I just sampled that disc the other night, so it was an opportunity to vent. Carry on...

Having acquired about 700 Led Zeppelin/solo bootleg releases on vinyl, cd and dvd I burned out on them years ago, so I don't actually own a copy of Studio Magik. It's a shame if what you say is true as it detracts from what is otherwise a highly rated set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, badgeholder said:

CD 15 of "Studio Magik" contains some fishy stuff. That's not really 5 takes of Ten Years Gone, for example, they drop the needle on the first half of the record and call it "take one", play the end of the record ("take two") and play some of the middle ("take three") etc... Typical bootlegger nonsense. Sorry to stray, but it came up and I just sampled that disc the other night, so it was an opportunity to vent. Carry on...

Hi Badgeholder:)

Did you happen to get to Disc 12 song 1? 42 min. of JP . . BUT a piano take within the song (cue @ 8 min) . . 3 min of beauty. . My question if you have heard this .Is this John Paul Jones? The info SAJ sent said they arent sure in their blog who it is and figure it cant be Jimmy. . just wondering (kind of a mystery?!?:):)

 

THX 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

If you'll accept a soundbite answer with regard to The Studio Magik Sessions release, it seems to me some but not all. 

http://musictravellers.blogspot.jp/2014/09/led-zeppelin-studio-magik-sessions-1968.html

Taking a perusal though the 'Studio Magick' track listing via the above link... lo and behold, there was 'I'm Gonna Groove' recorded at Morgan Studios!!!  If that tracks was an actual studio recording, why the heck did Jimmy use an overdubbed version from the Royal Albert Hall performance on Coda...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Old Hermit said:

Taking a perusal though the 'Studio Magick' track listing via the above link... lo and behold, there was 'I'm Gonna Groove' recorded at Morgan Studios!!!  If that tracks was an actual studio recording, why the heck did Jimmy use an overdubbed version from the Royal Albert Hall performance on Coda...?

It's been suggested that it's just the "alternate Coda" mix that EVSD had already released.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2017 at 4:34 PM, SteveAJones said:

It's been suggested that it's just the "alternate Coda" mix that EVSD had already released.

 

Okay, next question (and a logical extension of the last one); was 'I'm Gonna Groove' ever actually recorded at Morgan Studios during the  LZ II sessions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Old Hermit said:

Okay, next question (and a logical extension of the last one); was 'I'm Gonna Groove' ever actually recorded at Morgan Studios during the  LZ II sessions?

There is no evidence whatsoever to support that it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And now adding to the next logical question,  JP chose to include the Paris 69 show instead of tracks from their first album on the Reissues set. We know BIGLY, YSM etc exist as alternate takes on bootlegs. Why would Jimmy not include this material?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bcarter690 said:

And now adding to the next logical question,  JP chose to include the Paris 69 show instead of tracks from their first album on the Reissues set. We know BIGLY, YSM etc exist as alternate takes on bootlegs. Why would Jimmy not include this material?

''When it came to sort of piecing all of this together through all of the albums there wasn't anything left over from 'Led Zeppelin I' where you could make a proper companion disk to it; there just wasn't because of the nature of how it was recorded and there wasn't that much that went to waste ... So the first album we didn't have anything ... So it sort of dictated the fact that it had to be a live recording and it just so happened that in my Sherlock Holmes disguise going into bootleg shops in Japan ... on the search for studio things that had been stolen and got out. So I heard this (gig), and what it was was this live show and I thought, 'Yeah, I know what that's about, it's got to be early year 69, mid 69,' but I didn't know what it was. It turned out that it was from Paris and that it had been recorded by French radio and that's it. That logged in my mind and then when we didn't have anything that would adequately cover the first album that's the thing I called in.'' -- Jimmy Page

The nine-song concert recording features seven tracks from the album, including an epic 15-minute version of “Dazed And Confused,” as well as “Heartbreaker” and “Moby Dick,” which would debut on Led Zeppelin II later that month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

''When it came to sort of piecing all of this together through all of the albums there wasn't anything left over from 'Led Zeppelin I' where you could make a proper companion disk to it; there just wasn't because of the nature of how it was recorded and there wasn't that much that went to waste ... So the first album we didn't have anything ... So it sort of dictated the fact that it had to be a live recording and it just so happened that in my Sherlock Holmes disguise going into bootleg shops in Japan ... on the search for studio things that had been stolen and got out. So I heard this (gig), and what it was was this live show and I thought, 'Yeah, I know what that's about, it's got to be early year 69, mid 69,' but I didn't know what it was. It turned out that it was from Paris and that it had been recorded by French radio and that's it. That logged in my mind and then when we didn't have anything that would adequately cover the first album that's the thing I called in.'' -- Jimmy Page

The nine-song concert recording features seven tracks from the album, including an epic 15-minute version of “Dazed And Confused,” as well as “Heartbreaker” and “Moby Dick,” which would debut on Led Zeppelin II later that month.

 Ah, that makes sense. I suppose I'd read this at the time he was quoted, but it escaped me since then, somehow. And I was hoping against hope that there would be alternate tracks of HMMT, D&C and YTIGC.

I suppose the expediency with which that album was recorded didn't amount to enough material to include on the reissues. Thanks for clearing that up, Steve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't come across any coverage of the US '72 tour in Creem or Circus magazines, specifically.  Been checking around... Anyone seen anything  in these two publications?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sam_webmaster said:

I haven't come across any coverage of the US '72 tour in Creem or Circus magazines, specifically.  Been checking around... Anyone seen anything  in these two publications?

I have just checked everything I either have or am aware of for 1972 -- about 130 articles -- and there is nothing whatsoever from Creem or Circus regarding the US '72 tour. There are only album reviews, a couple of short articles and reader's poll results from either of those two publications. Speculation could get interesting as to why this is. My hunch is their relationship with the press in 1972 was still sketchy on account of the generally negative reviews the third album album received in late 1970, and not having a publicist did not help. It seems neither publication began to feature them more prominently or more often until mid to late 1973.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×