The Who Thread

blackdog

Saw them twice in 75 Baton rouge La and Huston Tx with Pete,Kieth,Roger,John .Then once more in Raliegh Nc minus Kieth all three good shows believe i have some boots of a couple of them.Great band though my favorite lp is not one most people would pick . I like the Who by numbers love the songs How many friends do i really have, However much i booze and Slip kid. I do like there classics as well though.

Saw them twice in 75 Baton rouge La and Huston Tx with Pete,Kieth,Roger,John .Then once more in Raliegh Nc minus Kieth all three good shows believe i have some boots of a couple of them.Great band though my favorite lp is not one most people would pick . I like the Who by numbers love the songs How many friends do i really have, However much i booze and Slip kid. I do like there classics as well though.

I like the Who By Numbers album,but I cant say I put it in the top 3

"How Many Friends" is an absolutely touching and brilliant piece that is never heard outside the hardcore Who community. Listen to it if you have the Who By Numbers.

"How Many Friends" is an absolutely touching and brilliant piece that is never heard outside the hardcore Who community. Listen to it if you have the Who By Numbers.

And let me translate that to Zeplinites who don't understand Whoish,it's like our Travelling Riverside Blues.

Didnt read the whole thread, but to me the Who is in what I refer to the Big 4 of all time: Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones, and The Beatles, Pick your own order, but I think Zepp and Beatles have to come in 1-2. And then number 5 would have to be Pink Floyd.

My favorites are constantly changing but my top 5 would look more like this:

Beatles

R.E.M.

Dylan

Led Zeppelin

Drive-By Truckers

Didnt read the whole thread, but to me the Who is in what I refer to the Big 4 of all time: Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones, and The Beatles, Pick your own order, but I think Zepp and Beatles have to come in 1-2. And then number 5 would have to be Pink Floyd.

You could get a bit more variety in there. Just a friendly suggestion.

It is brilliant and touching - and powerful - especially for anyone who has ever been betrayed by someone who he/she considered a friend:

I'm feelin' so good right now

There's a handsome boy tells me how I changed his past

He buys me a brandy

But could it be he's really just after my ass?

He likes the clothes I wear

He says he likes a man who's dressed in season

But no one else ever stares, he's being so kind

What's the reason?

How many friends have I really got?

You can count them on one hand.

That love me, that want me, that'll take me as I am?

Suddenly it's the silver screen

And a face so beautiful that I have to cry out

Everybody hears me

But I look like a fool now

With a cry and I shy out

She knows all of my friends

But it's nice to find a woman who can stay home late

Now I think I've reached the end

I wonder in the dead of night - how do I rate?

BRIDGE

It's all like a dream you know

When you're still up early in the morning

And you all sit together to watch the sun come through

But things don't look so good

When you could use a bit of warning

Then you know that no one will ever speak the truth about you

When I first signed a contract

It was more than a handshake then

I know it still is

But there's a plain fact

We talk so much shit behind each other's backs

I get the willies

People know nothing about their own soft gut

So how come they can sum us up

Without suffering all the hype we've known

How come they bum us up

Well, you can count 'em on the one hand

It is brilliant and touching - and powerful - especially for anyone who has ever been betrayed by someone who he/she considered a friend:

One has to wonder though what real life event inspired the first stanza:

"I'm feelin' so good right now

There's a handsome boy tells me how I changed his past

He buys me a brandy

But could it be he's really just after my ass?

He likes the clothes I wear

He says he likes a man who's dressed in season

But no one else ever stares, he's being so kind

What's the reason?"

Oh Pete :lol:

Anyone know what's the state of play regarding the Keith Moon film starring Mike Myers?

I haven't heard anything about this in a year or so. The last I heard about the film was that it was due out in '09 and the working title was: See Me Feel Me: Keith Moon Naked for Your Pleasure. I am conflicted about whether I will go to see it. One of Keith's ex-wives lived not far from here, until she was killed. I am not sure if she had any input into the film and whether her untimely death affected production. I had met and spoken to her but I never dared mention the name "Keith Moon." She was so nice and seemed very happily married to her current husband, Ian McLagan. Sorry I can't offer any more recent news about the film.

What happened to her??

She was killed in a car accident, on a rural road, not far from their ranch. I will try to find the newspaper article and post it. It was really a tragedy. So sad.

Edited to add from the Austin American Statesman:

Kim McLagan dead at 57

Wife of musician Ian McLagan killed in two-vehicle collision on FM 969

By Michael Corcoran

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Monday, August 07, 2006

A traffic collision Wednesday claimed the life of Kim McLagan, 57, a top British fashion model of the 1960s, a Bastrop-area salon owner and wife of former Faces keyboardist Ian McLagan.

The couple have lived in Manor since 1994.

The two-vehicle crash occurred at 9:50 a.m. at Taylor Lane and FM 969 in eastern Travis County. Texas Department of Public Safety officials said McLagan died at the scene.

Officials said McLagan was driving a 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser south on Taylor when she apparently ran a stop sign at the intersection. She was hit by a 2000 Freightline dump truck that was heading west.

As a teenager, Kim Kerrigan was the toast of swinging London, marrying the Who drummer Keith Moon in 1966 and appearing the next year in the worldwide satellite debut of the Beatles' "All You Need Is Love" video. She was divorced from Moon in 1975; he died three years later of an accidental drug overdose.

In 1978, she married Ian McLagan in England. Despite her life there amid fashion and rock stars, Kim McLagan seemed just as suited to the peaceful, rural life outside Manor, where the McLagans lived on 15 acres.

She owned K.M. Skincare on Texas 71 in the Alum Creek community between Bastrop and Smithville. She was a licensed aesthetician and worked for several years at Lake Austin Spa.

McLagan was not one to dwell on her past, friends say.

"I had no idea she used to be a model," said Dick Simcoe, owner of Little Thailand restaurant in Garfield, where the McLagans would eat most Friday nights. "She was so beautiful, inside and out. Her and Mac were very much in love."

Growing up as Patsy Kerrigan on her father's rubber plantation in Malaysia, the doe-eyed beauty changed her name to Kim after her family moved back to London and she began modeling. "Patsy" was too close to Pattie Boyd, another model whom she resembled, and so she became Kim to avoid confusion.

She's survived by a daughter, Mandy Moon, the product of her stormy marriage to the Who drummer. The McLagans, who were married for 28 years, had no children together.

After years in Los Angeles, the couple moved to Manor after the California city's 1994 earthquake.

Ian McLagan soon established himself as a fixture on the Austin music scene, in recent years playing a popular early show with his Bump Band every Thursday at Lucky Lounge in Austin.

"Kim just loved it out here," Simcoe said. "She told me she'd never move back to England."

Ellen Moore of the Bastrop Advertiser frequently wrote about the couple in her local scene column.

"There was no one on this earth who didn't think that she was an angel. She was very family-minded, a wonderful, loyal friend," Moore said.

"She was always interested in learning: herbs, whatever, always reading something. She would help people with aches and pains. It was all about keeping them healthy."

mcorcoran@statesman.com; 445-3652

Additional material by staff writer Tony Plohetski.

Find this article at:

http://www.austin360.com/music/content/mus...kimmclagan.html

Edited by MadScreamingGallery

I don't have any news on the Keith Moon doc but will say if you ever have a chance to see Ian and the Bump Band, by all means do so.

I completely agree! They are great! I think that we talked about this once before here. Ian and the Bump Band still play at the Lucky Lounge in Austin.

I completely agree! They are great! I think that we talked about this once before here. Ian and the Bump Band still play at the Lucky Lounge in Austin.

I think we did. I saw them in Raleigh at the now defunct Hideaway BBQ last year but they were also doing their regular Tuesday night gig in Austin when I was there last spring but catching his show just wasn't in the cards.

I may have also mentioned this before but Ian has guested on at least one Patty Hurst Shifter record. Without looking at liner notes I'm not completely sure but I think he sat in on Sadder Side from their newest record:

http://www.myspace.com/pattyhurstshifter

I think we did. I saw them in Raleigh at the now defunct Hideaway BBQ last year but they were also doing their regular Tuesday night gig in Austin when I was there last spring but catching his show just wasn't in the cards.

I may have also mentioned this before but Ian has guested on at least one Patty Hurst Shifter record. Without looking at liner notes I'm not completely sure but I think he sat in on Sadder Side from their newest record:

http://www.myspace.com/pattyhurstshifter

We've seen them in Austin. Thanks for the Patty Hurst Shifter link. :)

I haven't heard anything about this in a year or so. The last I heard about the film was that it was due out in '09 and the working title was: See Me Feel Me: Keith Moon Naked for Your Pleasure. I am conflicted about whether I will go to see it. One of Keith's ex-wives lived not far from here, until she was killed. I am not sure if she had any input into the film and whether her untimely death affected production. I had met and spoken to her but I never dared mention the name "Keith Moon." She was so nice and seemed very happily married to her current husband, Ian McLagan. Sorry I can't offer any more recent news about the film.

I would'nt see a movie about keith moon, nobody could do a movie about keith moon and i have only read basic things in rock magazines.

The Who are incredible,Keith was second only to Bonzo,John Entwistle was one of the best bassists ever,R.I.P.

But i love Roger & Pete,Roger is just cool and as for Pete,at a time when people where just trying to innovate the guitar,he simply brought it to the technical level of a pot smoking mental patient,relying on power chords and songwriting skills instead of over complicated guitar work,I Can See For Miles has a one note solo!And while he was a simple power chord basher,but damn could he write a rock opera,his keyboard skills are not in question though,or his songwriting,great man.

... On the other hand, his work now is kinda... well, it's not the Who. Anyone who has listened to their last album knows it's not the Who. They've lost so much of their sound, especially now that John has died.

Oh well... such is evolution.

... On the other hand, his work now is kinda... well, it's not the Who. Anyone who has listened to their last album knows it's not the Who. They've lost so much of their sound, especially now that John has died.

Oh well... such is evolution.

They sound different on several songs (Black Widow's Eyes, It's Not Enough, Purple Dress), however you can hear the sound of the classic Who in several cuts, such as Mirror Door and Sound Round.