The Who Thread

blackdog

If you allow yourself to think openly about a replacement for Entwistle, you'll find Pino does a very good job.

Im sure Pete wouldnt settle for anything less. I saw them back in the day, but a couple of years after Moony was gone. Saw them twice. I think Entwistle and JPJ are the best two ever. That bass in The Real Me is classic.

Update on the Who's official site:

While I still believe that the site isn't worth $50 dollars yet, it just got closer to being worth the money. In addition to the other things already mentioned that the site offers, subscribers get an additional t-shirt, and it's a good looking one at that!

tshirt_official_wholigan.png

Have you bought a rock concert T-Shirt lately? At sometimes $35 to $50 a pop, this new T-shirt along with

the exclusive CD makes the site worth joining. I'll consider myself getting my money's worth.

Have you bought a rock concert T-Shirt lately? At sometimes $35 to $50 a pop, this new T-shirt along with

the exclusive CD makes the site worth joining. I'll consider myself getting my money's worth.

Just because t-shirts cost that much at a concert doesn't mean that is there true market value. The shirts real value can't be more than $20 and the cd can't itself be worth more than $20. The CD is mostly rehashing stuff most of us had already, and while the shirt is nice, I still haven't seen enough to make me think I'm renewing my subscription when it comes up.

VH1 "Rock Honors" celebrates the career of The Who with a concert and show

at Pauley Pavillion in LA on July 12,2008. The show will be taped and air on VH1

on July 17th. And yes, The Who will be performing that night.

Im sure Pete wouldnt settle for anything less. I saw them back in the day, but a couple of years after Moony was gone. Saw them twice. I think Entwistle and JPJ are the best two ever. That bass in The Real Me is classic.

One of my favorite Who songs.

I considered Zep and The who to be the most talent in a band, musically playing.

Just imagine if JPJ and Entwistle switch. I think the who would be better do to somebody other than Pete writing and arranging. Zep would not be as diverse, but i think they could definitely be as good.

I've come to fully appreciate the genius and power of "The Who Sell Out" as one of the greatest rock albums of the mid-late 60s. Everything syncs in so well and it's just amazing.

It's ridiculously good and heavily under appreciated, although that's starting to change.

It's ridiculously good and heavily under appreciated, although that's starting to change.

Exactly. I think it's become one of my favorite albums by them overall. I should listen to Tommy and Quad more. I don't really like By Numbers or A Quick One (y'know, the poor production)

Exactly. I think it's become one of my favorite albums by them overall. I should listen to Tommy and Quad more. I don't really like By Numbers or A Quick One (y'know, the poor production)

The Who By Numbers has very good production IMO and has some absolutely brilliant tracks. Most people know about Slip Kid, However Much I Booze, and Squeeze Box but there's still They Are All In Love, Dreaming From The Waist and the absolutely uber-awesome How Many Friends.

A Quick One's production isn't poor necessarily, producers of rock artists were aping the style of the Beatles, and at this early stage the Who hadn't yet taken full control of that aspect of their music. I will agree with you though that the production hurts it in some places since it sounds dated.

The Who By Numbers has very good production IMO and has some absolutely brilliant tracks. Most people know about Slip Kid, However Much I Booze, and Squeeze Box but there's still They Are All In Love, Dreaming From The Waist and the absolutely uber-awesome How Many Friends.

A Quick One's production isn't poor necessarily, producers of rock artists were aping the style of the Beatles, and at this early stage the Who hadn't yet taken full control of that aspect of their music. I will agree with you though that the production hurts it in some places since it sounds dated.

I just didn't like By Numbers, that's all. I do enjoy A Quick One, and I do agree with you that A Quick One sounds dated. It's over 40 years old, but it sounds older.

I just didn't like By Numbers, that's all. I do enjoy A Quick One, and I do agree with you that A Quick One sounds dated. It's over 40 years old, but it sounds older.

A Quick One is still a great album. The Who's run of great consecutive studio albums rivals that of Zeppelin and other greats. My Generation, A Quick One, The Who Sell Out, Tommy, Who's Next and Quadrophenia (not to mention Live At Leeds, the greatest live album of all time, is mashed in between Tommy and Who's Next). Those six studio albums are on par with Led Zeppelin I, II, III, IV, HOTH and PG in my personal opinion (as well as many critics). I hope this thread raises the level of appreciation for them on this site.

• 2 months later...

I wrote earlier about how the Who's official site "fan club" has some major problems. Here is an update, and it's not pretty:

1) The site and it's moderators have in several cases pulled membership for selling the items that come with the purchase (the CD of live tracks, and the t-shirt). This is despite the fact that it has been brought up to them that this violates the free trade market.

2) One of the site's main attractions, Pete's blog, has been almost completely dormant. Anyone who has expressed dismay over this has been harshly warned not to again express discontent with the site, and several memberships have been pulled over this.

3) The promise of first chance at tickets for Who concerts and events, such as the upcoming Who Rock Honors, has proved to be a farce. There were few tickets available, only a small group of people who know the site moderators received them, and the site moderators have threatened ticket cancellation and membership withdrawal if someone with tickets tries to sell them.

I love the Who, and I wanted so badly to like their website and fan club, but it's the most horribly run fan club I've ever heard or been a part of. I highly recommend that anyone interested in the site DOES NOT join. The only way it'll ever get better is people withdraw their financial support.

I dearly miss Pete's cynical little blogs. So very much. I remember when he wrote that book on blog.net or whatever... ah, good times :) The conversations that flew between fans in the comments section were excellent. And Pete's dreams that followed, about making his story come true, were an interesting idea. Yet they fell flat. He'll be trying to make the Lifehouse project work til he dies...

I dearly miss Pete's cynical little blogs. So very much. I remember when he wrote that book on blog.net or whatever... ah, good times :) The conversations that flew between fans in the comments section were excellent. And Pete's dreams that followed, about making his story come true, were an interesting idea. Yet they fell flat. He'll be trying to make the Lifehouse project work til he dies...

My husband loved Pete's cynical little blogs. He just told me that he hasn't been on the site in awhile so he didn't realize they were gone.

The Who are fantastic and we had some great times at so many of their concerts.