Robert Plant thinks the concert is going to be dreadful?

Ummm.... Ok.... that's probably the nice thing to say, but Robert would probably even tell you different. He still sings great. I'll give you that, but Robert in 1970 was GOD LIKE! Please forgive my disagreement with you, it's not meant to be argumentative, but rather a little bit more realistic.

My point is that the screams and high notes were part of Led Zeppelin and their popularity in the 70's. Robert fights with that reality and hates the comparison, but we all get old, don't we?

He still sounds great and the exaggerated flattery is unnecessary. It will be a great show!

Having known Aqua for awhile now, I can assure you her post wasn't intended as "exaggerated flattery," and that she wasn't just spouting the company line, or what she thought would be the "nice thing to say." :)

i for one used the total wrong word of 'scream' never heard the golden god of rock scream. i mean sing at a high pitch for long periods of time and also the ability to mimmick Jimmy's guitar...still think he can do it all.

as far as Jimmy's playing I've got no concerns with him....even if he played at half speed and ability (which he wouldn't of course) since the 70's....he'd be the most exciting surprising guitarist ever. most and innovative player of all time (of rock)...

At Live Aid, Page's guitar was out of tune and he was drunk out of his mind. At Atlantic Records, they all came on six hours late and were jet lagged, and Page's tone wasn't so great (no sustain or reverb at all). He didn't sound bad at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, in my opinion. But I'm sure this reunion will be a much better situation for Page. Just as long as he stays away from the liquor and his guitar is in tune.

At Live Aid, Page's guitar was out of tune and he was drunk out of his mind. At Atlantic Records, they all came on six hours late and were jet lagged, and Page's tone wasn't so great (no sustain or reverb at all). He didn't sound bad at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, in my opinion. But I'm sure this reunion will be a much better situation for Page. Just as long as he stays away from the liquor and his guitar is in tune.

I don't know about them jetlagged at the Atlantic Show. Robert played about an hour earlier on his own and sounded great.

well Jimmy is now 63 I don't think it would look very good...i know he's been quoted as saying most of the concerts in their time he was on drugs/alcolhol....i can't wait to see the sober Page up there blowing everyone away. well, some tins of RED BULL should do the trick if needed!!!! :D

Hope they have lots of that backstage.

There was something in the news about the guitars Page and JPJ are using for the concert. They have been custom-made specifically for this show, and feature lengthened necks. The reason being that LZ are going to play a step lower in order to accomodate Plant's voice.

There was something in the news about the guitars Page and JPJ are using for the concert. They have been custom-made specifically for this show, and feature lengthened necks. The reason being that LZ are going to play a step lower in order to accomodate Plant's voice.

thank you Ash...this makes a lot of sense..

also, i read somewhere that Jimmy has about 1500 guitars???????????

I'd like the job of doing the inventory etc. sounds like full time work the upkeep and such

Having known Aqua for awhile now, I can assure you her post wasn't intended as "exaggerated flattery," and that she wasn't just spouting the company line, or what she thought would be the "nice thing to say." :)

Thanks for the reply. My apologies. I guess since I'm new, and you guys are old Zep fans, that I obviously don't know what I'm posting about. I can accept that. How stupid of me to argue with true Led Zeppelin fans! I won't attempt that again! :unsure: Of course Robert is better now than he was in the early 70's! I am such a dimwit! Forgive me. :rolleyes:

I know that this sounds (or appears to be) sarcastic, but I just am trying to get a point across. In the 70's Robert could do anything he wanted to with his voice. He has many limitations now. In the 70's Robert had few, if any peers that could perform at his level, he was a phenomenon.

That said:

I have seen Robert perform 4 times over the last 12 years (once a little over a year ago) and he still sounds great.

I hope that you all, and Robert, enjoy the show! I admire your loyalty! :D

Will whoever started this post please quote Robert from a source? I have not heard one word that Robert has said that indicates he feels this is going to be dreadful. Let's all agree that if that were true Robert, or any other of the mates, would be doing the gig. They are not here to be 'dreadful'.

As far as being concerned about Jimmy :blink: Let's get real. He's going to rock the house....He's been ready for this for 10 years. B)

Thanks for the reply. My apologies. I guess since I'm new, and you guys are old Zep fans, that I obviously don't know what I'm posting about. I can accept that. How stupid of me to argue with true Led Zeppelin fans! I won't attempt that again! :unsure: Of course Robert is better now than he was in the early 70's! I am such a dimwit! Forgive me. :rolleyes:

I know that this sounds (or appears to be) sarcastic, but I just am trying to get a point across. In the 70's Robert could do anything he wanted to with his voice. He has many limitations now. In the 70's Robert had few, if any peers that could perform at his level, he was a phenomenon.

That said:

I have seen Robert perform 4 times over the last 12 years (once a little over a year ago) and he still sounds great.

I hope that you all, and Robert, enjoy the show! I admire your loyalty! :D

Yes it does sound sarcastic, because it was intended to be! Unnecessarily. Eskimo was just pointing out that you had misinterpreted the reason behind my opinions, to which I'm as entitled as you are to yours. Nobody is claiming anybody is more a true fan than anyone else.

Having said that--I don't think Robert would agree that he is a less effective vocalist now at all. In the 70s, he had an enormous range, but he sometimes used his voice like a blunt instrument, eventually resulting in the need for surgery to repair the damage to his voice. These days, he still has an impressive range, but he also uses it much more effectively and intelligently. He's just released an album (Raising Sand) on which he uses techniques he's never used before, for instance, proving that he can master all sorts of styles and approaches. He and Krauss have gotten amazing reviews, Robert being praised for aspects of his singing that have never been the focus of critical attention before.

This is not just blind loyalty or saying-nice-things-about-the-poor-old-fart-because-let's-face-it-he's-a-bit-past-it, it's my honest assessment of his singing. I've heard him live three times this year, and he blew me away every time. But if you feel differently, no problem.

Yes it does sound sarcastic, because it was intended to be! Unnecessarily. Eskimo was just pointing out that you had misinterpreted the reason behind my opinions, to which I'm as entitled as you are to yours. Nobody is claiming anybody is more a true fan than anyone else.

Having said that--I don't think Robert would agree that he is a less effective vocalist now at all. In the 70s, he had an enormous range, but he sometimes used his voice like a blunt instrument, eventually resulting in the need for surgery to repair the damage to his voice. These days, he still has an impressive range, but he also uses it much more effectively and intelligently. He's just released an album (Raising Sand) on which he uses techniques he's never used before, for instance, proving that he can master all sorts of styles and approaches. He and Krauss have gotten amazing reviews, Robert being praised for aspects of his singing that have never been the focus of critical attention before.

This is not just blind loyalty or saying-nice-things-about-the-poor-old-fart-because-let's-face-it-he's-a-bit-past-it, it's my honest assessment of his singing. I've heard him live three times this year, and he blew me away every time. But if you feel differently, no problem.

Point taken. Yes, there was some sarcasm, but I get your point and agree with some of what you're getting at. Yes, he blew me away more in 2006 than 1995. He did blow me away those times and every time in between.

Sorry for the lack of tack in my replies, but I do disagree. I prefer the raw talent that he had back in the 70's. I think that your reference to his vocals in the early days being a "blunt instrument" would be loudly contested by most Zeppelin fans (most certainly by me). Just a difference in opinion, I still will be a fan for life. Most people I know prefer LZII to anything after, yet I find fans that think ITTOD is their choice! It's a matter of where you are in your life and how it's affecting you. Jimmy played better in '98 than '95 and I'm sure that he'll be great in 2007.

Getting off on the wrong foot. It's just that I don't hear your opinion very often. Well actually, ever. Maybe I need to get out more!

Sorry for the trouble Aquamarine. Forgive me, I'm new.

James

Will whoever started this post please quote Robert from a source? I have not heard one word that Robert has said that indicates he feels this is going to be dreadful. Let's all agree that if that were true Robert, or any other of the mates, would be doing the gig. They are not here to be 'dreadful'.

As far as being concerned about Jimmy :blink: Let's get real. He's going to rock the house....He's been ready for this for 10 years. B)

This is the question that should have appeared on page one. My guess is it is a complete fabrication. Waste of time topic here.

What Robert Plant really needs to recognize is his carizma that is created when he plays frontman for Led Zeppelin. His solo career has been excellent but lets face it...he`s never been the same man on his own.

I completely disagree with the post quoted. Robert has plenty of charisma. He could be standing in a room alone, doing nothing and have that! His solo career IS very successful.

Hey guys, don't get me wrong.

I LUV ROBERT PLANT. I LUV HIS VOICE, HIS GROOVING, HIS MOANING, HIS WAILING, HIS POETRY, HIS OOOH-AAH'ING. And that is part of the LED ZEPPELIN mystique.

Led Zeppelin songs are a different beast. They should be sung only a certain way - the old LedZep way. Robert Plant had set the the standards for singing LedZepp songs.

In fact Robert said many times to leave it alone.

I luv the way Robert Plant is sings as Robert Plant - as in Raising Sand. He is beautiful in it.

I just wish he had more solos in that album.

Elizabeth Taylor can't be acting as she used to be. Or Mick Jagger shouldn't be prancing around the way he used to. Like it or not everbody has to get old. FACE IT.

Just to please LedZep fans, it is best to invite new younger singers or other star guests in the concert who can sing duets with Robert, and/or sing other LEDZEPP songs themselves.

In fact I think Robert and Allison should sing some of the songs fr. Raising Sand in the concert.

Just to please LedZep fans, it is best to invite new younger singers or other star guests in the concert who can sing duets with Robert, and/or sing other LEDZEPP songs themselves.

Bullcrap. That's not going to please anyone but you, apparently. People are forking over hundreds and thousands of dollars to see LED ZEPPELIN perform, not a half-rate duet show. Robert Plant doesn't need to sing these songs with other people because you have a misguided notion about his vocal abilities.

Just quit.

How would a change of key help Robert hit the high notes? :huh:

Am I mistaken, or is "change of key" used instead of "different octave?"

Yes, Manders. A different octave would be in the same key, just singing an octave lower. A different key would allow RP to sing a step or a few steps lower, closer to the original pitch that he sang. It really is more of an issue for the instrumentalists when the key is changed.

Oh---like substituting a B-flat for an F#?

No--I understand now. Not substituting notes that are the same pitch, but actually changing the actual key signature of the song to perform it?

aahhh...got it.

Yes. Lowering a key 2 full steps like from B flat to G flat (F#) is a good example. Or Whole Lotta Love in C major instead of E major with the use of differently scaled guitars to provide the lower notes needed to make the parts seem authentic (the extended necks rumor).

Yup. Understand fully, now. I thought the "notes" that everyone said Robert cannot hit anymore were notes that his voice could not hit--in any vicinity.

I've got quite the musical background--I get the whole circle of fifths thing. ;)

Archived