Raising Sand

SIBLY

I usually don't care for this type of music, but Plant/Krauss have made me a convert, LOL it's a great record, start to finish.

Here's a good review, I especially like the quote from Robert's sister:

The Scotsman

Tue 20 Nov 2007

'My sister says Alison has made me sing properly'

RICHARD CROMELIN

BLINKING, Alison Krauss heads to the coffee urn at the NBC studios in New York. The country singer has been up since 3:30am, she says, to make sure there was plenty of time to do hair and make-up for her appearance on the Today show with her musical partner of the moment, Robert Plant.

Ungodly hours, by musicians' standards anyway, are part of the bargain for Krauss and Plant as they promote their collaboration, Raising Sand, which to their surprise is turning out to be one of the most talked-about albums of the year. Arriving in New York from promotional duties in Nashville, Krauss's home town, the duo went straight to a reception in their honour at an elegant tavern at Grand Central Terminal. After Led Zeppelin play their reunion show in December, the duo will start making plans for a US concert tour.

Not many people were expecting this kind of attention for an experimental project, least of all Rounder Records, the venerable roots-folk label that has fostered Krauss's career and now finds itself with a rock icon on its hands. "It's the most expensive record we've ever put out," says Rounder president John Virant. "Robert came over from England a couple of times. I remember getting an AmEx statement with $45,000 for airfare. But when you're working with people like this, you can't run around crying that you're a poor little indie."

Virant figures it's money well spent and, sure enough, when the numbers come in a few days after we talk, Raising Sand has sold 112,000 copies during its first week, the highest in Rounder's history. With the singers' combined pedigrees, the critical acclaim and the spring tour to keep it fresh, the album could be a factor in the 2009 Grammys.

T Bone Burnett, who produced the album, knows all about that. He assembled the soundtrack for O Brother, Where Art Thou?, the surprise album-of-the-year-winner in 2002, which is when he first worked with Krauss. "She is a profound artist, and it's sort of easy to overlook that somehow, because she's so good at what she does," Burnett says. "But the reality is she has very deep notions about music and art. She doesn't wear them on her sleeve, but she may be the most uncompromising person I've ever met in my life. And Robert... In a way Robert's sort of the fulfilment of this threat that Elvis Presley made."

The 36-year-old bluegrass princess and the 59-year-old rock god blend their contrasting voices with the assurance and rapport they've developed over the course of their collaboration. That began when Plant invited Krauss to sing with him at a tribute to folk/blues giant Leadbelly at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004, and flowered in the Raising Sand sessions last year in Nashville and Los Angeles. Performing for the cameras in New York, the singers stand back and watch after the final chorus, as their band builds the intensity. Jay Bellerose's drums dance lightly around the contours, while Burnett, Buddy Miller and Mark Ribot - a summit meeting of roots-conscious, cutting-edge guitarists - put on their own show.

Plant, who heard his share of guitar virtuosity with Led Zeppelin, is still marvelling at the display a few minutes later. "When you see that there," he says, shaking his head. "It's such a minimalistic piece of music, and yet with all that prowess and skill it becomes even more minimal. And then Ribot plays a solo that we haven't heard before and didn't know was going to happen."

He and Krauss laugh, something they do often as they sit in a dressing room after the show. Plant is gracious and self-effacing, a wry, experienced foil to the younger Krauss. Krauss got her doses of Led Zeppelin from her older brother, but her interest in Plant traces more to his first solo hit, 1983's moody, Spanish-inflected Big Log. "I appreciate him as an ever-changing artist, where he's going and what he's done through his career," she says.

Not that she is some awestruck protégé. Krauss, who has won 20 Grammys and sold 8.6 million albums on her own and with her band Union Station, was the one who insisted on their album's dark mood, and she pretty much owns the world of folk/country/Americana that Plant was stepping into, with some apprehension. "Well, Alison's very patient, but because she's born to it and I wasn't, we didn't really know," says Plant. "I know that there was a bit of consternation. I could feel the Americans twitching."

Not at all, says Burnett, who assembled the musicians, shaped the sound and selected the songs that formed the album's backbone. "People talk about what a strange pairing it is, but from the moment I heard it I thought, 'Oh, that's exactly right,'" says Burnett. "They both have that same otherworldliness that I strive for, in my life and in the world of sound that I surround myself with."

The resulting set is a diverse collection of blues, folk-rock, cabaret, country, rockabilly, Appalachian and R&B, unified by a haunting sound quality and a thread of sorrow in the words.

"It needed to be dark, lyrically heavy," Krauss explains. "There's so much life and experience that his voice brings out, there's a lot of mystery to it, and with mine together, that creates some kind of story, and I don't think it creates an 'up' story. I think it creates a lot of wonder and it creates sadness."

Krauss and Plant have to pose for photos now, and they have a few more promotional duties in New York before they spread the word in Plant's homeland, where at least one fan is looking forward to their arrival. "My sister, who normally thinks I should be sectioned, taken off somewhere and strapped down - she's texting me, 'It's so beautiful, I can't wait to meet Alison, she's made you sing properly.' It's true, that's what a lot of people say."

• Raising Sand is out now on Rounder records.

I love Raising Sand..... some of his best work post Zep? Definitely IMO! What I really love about the album is the variety of songs that give you all the ups and downs found in love relationships. You are bound to find your story(s) in at least one of those songs if not a few.

(my first post over here, wow, it's different... but I'll figure it out)

I couldn't wait to hear Raising Sand. After about 10 listens I have to say it's not my cup of tea. I really like Fortune Teller but the rest leaves me a little dissapointed. Robert sounds in great voice and so does Allison but I just don't get it. Maybe I'm too simple minded in my grasp of music to appreciate Raising Sand, but I prefer Mighty Rearranger.

I gave up on Hard/heavy rock after Zep split (or maybe it gave up on me). There isn't a band that's formed since the turn of the 70s that has anything fresh to say in the genre.

The Americana of the Plant/Krauss album is much closer to the suff I listen to now.

With Plant's solo rock stuff if THE guitarist isn't there then there's something missing for me. Plant without Page is like love with marriage or a horse without a carriage.

Mighty Rearranger is a good album but I'm not inclined to listen to it much.

At first when I listened to this album, I was like meh....I liked it, but it wasn't GREAT.

But then I listened a couple more times, all the way through....now I'm obsessed with it! :lol: My favourite tracks are 'Rich Woman', 'Fortune Teller', and ''Let Your Loss Be Your Lesson'...seriously people, stick with it. :thumbsup:

I loved Dreamland and Mighty Rearranger, but Plant and Krauss's voices just harmonize so well together...

I absoluely love the album. I was a bit hesitant because not being a huge country music fan (though I love bluegrass), I wasn't sure what it would be. This far surpassed my expectations. It works for me on so many levels and I love the fact Robert stepped out into unchartered musical territory. Standouts for me are Polly Come Home, Fortune Teller, Nothin' and Your Long Journey. Okay really I like the whole album :D

What about the Plant/Krauss album?

I've seen it descrbed as his best post Zeppelin work and I find that dificult to argue with. Perhaps they could do the support on THE World Tour.

I really like it too, but there are a few albums of his I'd take over it, most notably Mighty Rearranger.

I have been listening to Please Read The Letter on the radio a lot here and that makes me want to somehow get into this CD. Maybe next week, when I finally have my hands on the real thing. :)

Come on Celia, stop playing hard to get. Listen toit properly there some great and equally lovely stuf on there.

Listen to Roberts voice on Polly Gone home. has he ever sounded sweeter?

Come on Celia, stop playing hard to get. Listen toit properly there some great and equally lovely stuf on there.

Listen to Roberts voice on Polly Gone home. has he ever sounded sweeter?

Polly Come Home is my favorite song in this CD. :)

I haven't got it yet, because it wasn't released here...yet.

But I have been listening to it for almost three months now, Paul. And I still don't LOVE it. I don't even know if I like it.

Polly Come Home is my favorite song in this CD. :)

I haven't got it yet, because it wasn't released here...yet.

But I have been listening to it for almost three months now, Paul. And I still don't LOVE it. I don't even know if I like it.

:o

I'd have to argue that Mighty Rearranger is Plant's best post Zep work.

I have to agree with you, with the exception of ...(brain malfunction..)the one with the melting earth.

Dang! why is it not in my brain... :unsure:

I found myself listening to Mighty Rearranger ALOT more than RS.

Update Edit: While I was in the bathtub I remembered (all my deep thinking is in water...)

FATE OF NATIONS!

Those are my two favs.

Well I bought it not knowing if I would like it and yet- I love it and have been listening to it non-stop since I puchased it ! SOme really great covers Tom Waits, Everly Brothers etc.

They make a great duet.

I absolutely love so many songs on here I can't say which is my favorite.... but Nothing is just incredible.

Archived