Raising Sand

SIBLY

I bought the album almost 3 weeks ago after hearing the GMA "Gone Gone Gone" performance. Like many posters here I'm not a bluegrass person, so I was afraid I wouldn't like it...boy, was I wrong! There isn't a single bad song on RS. Some of my faves are "Polly Come Home," "Gone Gone Gone" (of course), "Through the Morning, Through the Night," "Fortune Teller," and "Nothin'." I was blown away by "Nothin'," honestly. One of Percy's best-ever vocals. And yes, I'm counting stuff like "No Quarter" in there! And it's so atmospheric; I'm a writer, and this is great music to write to.

I've also heard Mighty Rearranger (borrowed it from the library, had to take it back today... :( ), and I'd say that it's good, but I prefer RS. That being said, "Shine It All Around" and "Freedom Fries" are my jams! Also, "Tin Pan Valley" is quite impressive lyrically. Most singers wouldn't be that open.

Conclusion? Robert Anthony Plant rocks life. B)

"Gone, Gone, Gone" Video

Tune in to the CMT Top 20 Countdown on Thursday, Nov. 29th at 4:00pm (EST) to watch the World Premier of the new Robert Plant and Alison Krauss video for "Gone, Gone, Gone", the first single off the new album Raising Sand.

I've seen the clips of the video, looks well done.

I love the swipes he takes at Rod Steward (my peers my flirt with cabaret) and Mick Jagger (some fake the rebel yell).

I noticed that, and I thought I was great. I'm not a big Rod Stewart person, and I can't stand the Roling Stones. I know some people here reallyl ike them, but I'm not one of them.

Story Time: I was listening to Raising Sand last night as I went to sleep. It was really windy out, and you could hear the furnance working.(Probably not a good thing.) And Killing the Blues came on, it was absolutly haunting. I know alot of people have used that word to describe it, but it was. I have Raising Sand on vinyl, so it sounded really warm, and the stereo was loud enough to hear but really quiet. As dark as it was in my room and all of those sounds it was one of the most haunting things I"ve heard.

I've heard the album through a few times now and it's growing on me. Calling it bluegrass or country really misses the point. Rootsy yes...country? Well in the country blues sense perhaps. I really like the way their voices meld together. Great stuff. If they tour I am there.

art.krauss.plant.ap.jpg

I've heard the album through a few times now and it's growing on me. Calling it bluegrass or country really misses the point. Rootsy yes...country? Well in the country blues sense perhaps. I really like the way their voices meld together. Great stuff. If they tour I am there.

art.krauss.plant.ap.jpg

An album that is difficult to classify.It will be interesting to see how the various radio formats pick up on this album once the marketing push kicks into full thrust.What tracks will rock stations play?What songs will easy listening stations ect? etc etc

:huh:

I know, I should have done my homework and paid more attention to the posts on Raising Sand....but can someone please tell me: are there two covers of this album? :huh:

The one I bought today has this pic on the cover:

caparaisingsand.jpg

This one was the only one I found here.

I like the other one better. :'(

I know, I should have done my homework and paid more attention to the posts on Raising Sand....but can someone please tell me: are there two covers of this album? :huh:

The one I bought today has this pic on the cover:

caparaisingsand.jpg

This one was the only one I found here.

I like the other one better. :'(

Interesting,there appears to be two covers,the picture on your cover is the same as the picture on the booklet included with my copy of Raising Sand

Interesting,there appears to be two covers,the picture on your cover is the same as the picture on the booklet included with my copy of Raising Sand

Thank you, Euro.

The pic I posted is the cover of the booklet...there's no other cover on the CD I bought. The booklet is the cover, you get what I mean?

Guess I'm paying more for less (I paid about US $ 19,5 for this Brazilian edition)

....oh, well. <_<

This in from Rolling Stone Mag.

Rolling Stone

Robert Plant’s New Groove: As Led Zep Rehearse, His Duets Disc With Alison Krauss Is a Hit

11/26/07, 4:11 pm EST

Robert Plant is in London, rehearsing for one of the biggest concerts of his life: Led Zeppelin’s one-off reunion on December 10th. But there’s another project he’s at least as excited about: a disc of tender, mostly acoustic duets with bluegrass star Alison Krauss. Raising Sand — which was produced by T Bone Burnett — debuted at Number Two in late October, becoming an unexpected hit.

Plant and Krauss met at a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame tribute to Lead Belly three years ago. Creative sparks ignited when they duetted on the folk legend’s “Black Girl.” “I remember leaving that trip feeling like I’d known him my whole life,” Krauss says. “He called soon after and said he wanted to record together.” The project languished until last year, when Burnett expressed interest. “When that happened, I was convinced we could get something,” Plant says. “T Bone’s a magician.”

The three gathered at Burnett’s Nashville studio earlier this year to work on a batch of tunes Burnett had selected. Plant instructed him to choose dark songs. “Coming from the world of Led Zeppelin, that’s a chilling statement,” Burnett says. Thirteen tunes were eventually picked, ranging from the Everly Brothers’ “Gone Gone Gone” to “Trampled Rose,” by Tom Waits. “Fortune Teller,” an early-1960s beat-group standard that Zeppelin used to cover, started as an off-the-cuff jam when Plant casually sang the chorus in the studio.

Both singers initially struggled with the material: Plant had never sung harmonies, and Krauss had never sung the blues. “I learned to back off the volume and the kind of rasp in my voice,” says Plant. Adds Burnett, “They’ve both been pigeonholed. They have these legends — the ‘golden god’ and the ‘bluegrass high priestess.’ Those labels are limiting because they’re both more profound artists than just one genre.”

The pair will launch a tour early in ‘08, hitting theaters across America. In addition to the Raising Sand material, they’ll perform songs from their catalogs — including “When the Levee Breaks” and “Black Dog.” And though the Zeppelin songs have been stripped back to work with the other material, Burnett says Plant still has the old spirit. “We were in the Charlie Rose greenroom the other day,” he says. “Robert walked in and said, ‘Let’s get these televisions out the window.’ “

art.krauss.plant.ap.jpg

Great music indeed, and their voices sound wonderful together :)

My copy was the same as Fabrice's, and I LOVE the look on Robert's face on the pic on the booklet. :wub:

That was a really good piece from Rolling Stone (for once), and just underlines the point about how intelligently Robert uses his voice--and how he's always trying something new.

I have to agree with you, with the exception of ...(brain malfunction..)the one with the melting earth.

Dang! why is it not in my brain... :unsure:

I found myself listening to Mighty Rearranger ALOT more than RS.

Update Edit: While I was in the bathtub I remembered (all my deep thinking is in water...)

FATE OF NATIONS!

Those are my two favs.

I agree, Hotplant. I was a huge fan of Fate Of Nations! Those are my two favorites as well.

Archived