Good cover songs

BigBadZep

Nice cover. Gov'T Mule is a great band. Grace Potter can sing too.

Been hearing a lot about her in recent years but only got around to listening to some of her stuff in the past few months. May have to check her out the next time she and the Nocturnals roll into town. I understand former Cardinal (Ryan Adams' backing band) Catherine Popper is her bass player these days. That can't hurt either.

Widespread Panic has also been known to dabble in Zep and Sabbath territory when it comes to covers. I'm not a huge fan but I seem to prefer when they stick to what they know instead of trying to scare the "hippies" (or so they refer to themselves).

Dave seems to be a bigger fan than I realized. They've done Stairway, Kashmir, and a few others too. It makes sense to me from an improvisational (and maybe even innovative) jam angle (vs blues rock), even if it's looser and the vocals aren't quite on the same level. :)

I was looking for a cover of Stevie Wonder's Superstition by an early seventies band called Argus, but it doesn't seem to be on youtube. So, here is the Red Hot Chili Peppers' very respectable version of Higher Ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gs2o5T7oN8

I just did a google search and the Argus cover is here: http://www.vbox7.com/play:95d1c75f?r=google

Edited by Ady

"Come Together" by Aerosmith has always been a good cover of The Beatles' in my opinion. I like the original more, but this one does it for me too.

And maybe one of my all-time favorites would have to be Johnny Cash's "Hurt" song. Some people don't even know that it was originally a song written by Nine Inch Nails. Most people, even including the NIN members, say that this song will be Cash's and remembered as a Cash song. And rightfully so.

Here's a quote from Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor after hearing the Cash's version of the song and seeing the music video for the first time:

"I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. [i felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore... It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning — different, but every bit as pure."

I too, much prefer Cash's version and will always think of it as his song.

"Come Together" by Aerosmith has always been a good cover of The Beatles' in my opinion. I like the original more, but this one does it for me too.

And maybe one of my all-time favorites would have to be Johnny Cash's "Hurt" song. Some people don't even know that it was originally a song written by Nine Inch Nails. Most people, even including the NIN members, say that this song will be Cash's and remembered as a Cash song. And rightfully so.

Here's a quote from Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor after hearing the Cash's version of the song and seeing the music video for the first time:

"I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. [i felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore... It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. [somehow] that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning — different, but every bit as pure."

I too, much prefer Cash's version and will always think of it as his song.

Cash was one of those rare performers that could take almost anyone's song and make it entirely his own.

Cash was one of those rare performers that could take almost anyone's song and make it entirely his own.

I agree. There's something about hearing his version. It just feels like HIS song. The original is almost non-existent to me. For the longest time, I had never heard the original and thought Cash's WAS the only one. Even after hearing NIN's version (which is just fine), Cash's will forever be the one I love. "Hurt" will stand the test of time. Cash left us with a classic right before he left us on this earth.

• 2 weeks later...