Houses instead of crunge

yeah, we've had this discussion before, both about this song, and regarding putting all songs from PG on the albums for which they were recorded. I personally hate The Crunge, and love the song HOTH, so yes, it makes it a better album to me.

here's what I don't understand,

whenever Led Zeppelin was asked why they didn't release singles, they would tell us that the music is really apart of "what they were in to at the time" (or something like that).

But if there are so many songs that didn't make it until 1,2,3, or 4 albums later, then the reasoning as to why they didn't like singles doesn't add up to me. If the songs were so much apart of those time periods then why hold on to them? or why insert them into another time period?

so what do you think is going on here?

If The song houses of the holy which ended up later on PG, took the place of the crunge on the album houses of the holy, would it have made it their best album?

Quite possibly, but PG would have been lessened..even wtih the inclusion of the Crunge..which i dont dislike, it's just that it always seemed more like filler to me than a good solid track...

Quite possibly, but PG would have been lessened..even wtih the inclusion of the Crunge..which i dont dislike, it's just that it always seemed more like filler to me than a good solid track...

the crunge is a pure zep jam...i think houses of the holy - if it had been included - would need to have been inserted before OTHAFA. it couldn't be back to back with Dancing Days - too similar in the tempo...then again, i'm not sure what the lp divisions were. my old cassette had the crunge as the last track of side 1. my 2 cents.

If I could hear no other song for the rest of my life other than The Crunge, I'd be happy all the day long. I've never felt that way about HOTH, even though it's one of my top 10 or so Zep songs. There's just something joyous and uplifting about The Crunge, to me. And I think the fact that it's such a contrasting style on an album with so many contrasting styles makes it work.

I've never been partial to D'Yer Mak'er, personally. That's what I'd replace if anything. But then HOTH wouldn't have that same flow.

I would rather replace D'Yer Mak'er, it's not a bad song, just doesn't really seem to fit into HOTH as an album. although it would make less sense on PG... I think D'Yer Mak'er would have made a perfect B side, a la Hey Hey What Can I Do.

Thing about The Crunge is that in addition to being fun, it's making a very witty musical comment about song structure in a particular genre of music, the sort of humorous comment you rarely hear. Yet another example of how Zeppelin were smarter and more sophisticated musically than those who think they're the Fathers of Heavy Metal recognize. So, yeah--leave it where it is.

The Crunge may be the best song off of that album. I love everything about it. It's a great bass line. Great synth sound. Plant's vocals are awesome too. Nice little story and a tip of the had to James Brown. I absolutely love the song. It fit perfectly with the album. Contrasts it much better than HOTH song would have.

yeah, we've had this discussion before, both about this song, and regarding putting all songs from PG on the albums for which they were recorded. I personally hate The Crunge, and love the song HOTH, so yes, it makes it a better album to me.

I gotta agree, I do not like the Crunge song, but at that time, it would have been okay to put HOTH on the album with the same name. I think it was a '70's thing.

Dear Crunge Fans/Unfans

I promise this will be my last word on tributes and what they can do for you or what they are intended for. The Crunge is just simply a song dedicated to the hardest working man in show business Roy Harper (sorry) lol; I meant James Brown. John Bonham loved the funk beats of the groove bands and that song has kick your ass, grab you by the balls, stops and starts ala a Brown Masterpiece.

I am another drummer who always loved those tunes and I promise I won't even try change any one's mind. And when I looked at a few of the previous view points about "Houses" I thought Zeppelin must be from Mars and a few definitely from Venus. There are so many good songs on that album that if anyone ever wanted to say they were a songwriter I think four hours a day of intense listening just might change a few minds and sharpen their skills.

Peace and Love In All Ways

Franco

Where's that confounded Bridge?

I think the HOTH album could benefit from a better tracklisting. TSRTS, RS and OTHAFA have a unity in chords and chord progression that should be left in tact. I'd say the weak tracks on the album are the Crunge, D'yer Mak'er and Dancing Days. You may disagree. But DM is a real love it or hate it song. Plant was very fond of it. Bonzo wasn't. JPJ didn't think it worked. Plant really pushed it onto the album. I think it would have been a better idea to release DM as a single and use the Crunge as a b-side.

Now, replace the Crunge with Dancing Days. Put HOTH on as the first song on side B followed by ... The Rover. This track was recorded on the same Stargroves/HOTH sessions and it's always been a mystery to me why they didn't include it on the HOTH album.

Archived