Marshall vs Vox

shiela

Am I the only one who play with Vox?

The only thing i hear from friends is that Marshall is the best , and all famous guitar player use Marshall.

Now I want to know:

Who of you plays Vox / Marshall?

Which one, in your opinion, is better? And why?

Am I the only one who play with Vox?

The only thing i hear from friends is that Marshall is the best , and all famous guitar player use Marshall.

Now I want to know:

Who of you plays Vox / Marshall?

Which one, in your opinion, is better? And why?

You useing an old tubed Vox? Or a newer one? What type of axe do you use, any effects?

Shad :unsure: w

Not sure all famous guitar players use Marshalls and even if they do, go for your own sound. Brian May always used the old tube AC30's.

Peter Buck from REM used quite a few different amps (Trace Elliot etc) for different sounds. Not sure if Gilmour used Marshalls either.

You useing an old tubed Vox? Or a newer one? What type of axe do you use, any effects?

:D

I use a newer one with lot of effects. it´s a small amp but it is as loud as a marshall double it´s size.

I once had a marshall, but didn´t liked it very much.

I know that my own sound is important..but why tell me everybody that marshall is the best? <_<

Well for a start, relax, there's no such thing as "best" when it comes to amps (or anything else for that matter).

Next up, Vox are very good indeed - a certain James Patrick Page has a Vox AC30 that has been one of his main studio amps for many years, and he actually used it live during the 1995 P&P tour as well.

The thing to remember is that the guitar & amp (& any effects) are a partnership, and the resulting sound is a combination of their individual characters. For instance, AC30s, being a class A amplifier, have a distinct character to the mid-range frequencies which can be particularly good for single coil pickups: a Telecaster through an AC30 is an amazing sounding combination. The same amp can be too thick sounding for humbuckers, unless you're carefull with the settings.

On the other hand Marshalls can be very bright sounding amps (their original curcuit was basically copied from a Fender Bassman, and developed from there) which can suit Les Pauls etc, but be too much with a Strat or a Tele (before anyone says Jimi Hendrix, these are general observations I'm making here).

So ignore your "Marshalls only" friends and just decide if the amp you have goes with the guitar you have to produce a result that suits you, because really your opinion is the only one that matters here.

PS - for the record, I've owned & used Marshalls and Voxs, and been able to get good results from either, but these days I use a Fender Super Reverb which is much better for the way that I play.

:D

I use a newer one with lot of effects. it´s a small amp but it is as loud as a marshall double it´s size.

I once had a marshall, but didn´t liked it very much.

I know that my own sound is important..but why tell me everybody that marshall is the best? <_<

I think our friend from Wales is right, ello Northern Monkey luv. Use what you love, especially with that Axe.

I have a little Vox 15w valvetronics...

Mostly solid state but with a one tube/valve power amp or pre amp,I don't remember which,but which ever,it provides a nice tone with a good selection of amp models and effects...

Great practice/beginer amp...

I have a little Vox 15w valvetronics...

Mostly solid state but with a one tube/valve power amp or pre amp,I don't remember which,but which ever,it provides a nice tone with a good selection of amp models and effects...

Great practice/beginer amp...

This is s nice modeling amp. It is similar to the one I have. But the newer digital amps are a whole beast altogether from their all tube elder siblings say the Vox AC30 vs the Marshall JCM series. The way I see it, the topic of this thread really refers to a choice between these elder amps. As most of the respondents to this thread have said, the competition is moot. The right amp depends on the kind of tone you are after. Andeach amp sounds different with different guitars.

As a point of reference to newbies, I created a short list of the more popular amps along with a very partial list of the genres or guitarists who's sound has become associated with each amp. This is just a partial and opinionated list. Feel free to add to this list or say how it should be different. If you are really curious about a particular artist or amp you should consult GuitarGeek.com

Vox: The Edge, Steve Miller, Brian May, Early Beatles (in fact much of the first British Invasion)

Marshall: Jimmy Page (for the most part), Angus Young, Slash, Jimi Hendrix, Steve Jones

Fender Bassman aka Tweed: Many Blues guitarists, Keith Richards

Fender (Silverface and Blackface):Surf Guitarists, early American rock. Later Beatles

Mesa Boogie: Metal

Roland JC-120: Jazz

Also keep in mind that there are still many many other amp manufacturers that are making highly regarded amps, boutique amps. These manufacturers will likely claim that their amps blow away the mass produced amps made by Vox, Marshall and Fender.

There are alot of really shitty Marshalls and there are some not so great Vox's. There are also some great Marshalls and some great Vox.

No such thing as "better".....it's personal choice/opinion/preference

....and with that I'll say my original 1956 tweed Fender schools them both!!!! :P

There are alot of really shitty Marshalls and there are some not so great Vox's. There are also some great Marshalls and some great Vox.

No such thing as "better".....it's personal choice/opinion/preference

....and with that I'll say my original 1956 tweed Fender schools them both!!!! :P

I know I love Marshall for electric. But Id like to know a few good amp choices for an acoustic/electric. Thinking about buying a Taylor acoustic/electric. Had an Ovation, similiar to a Celebrity with the crazy cutouts rather than the traditional hole in the center of the guitar. I cant remember the damn name for it (starts with an a). Someone told me Crate may be good for acoustic amp? Dont know as Ive never owned anything other than Marshall or Peavy.

I know I love Marshall for electric. But Id like to know a few good amp choices for an acoustic/electric. Thinking about buying a Taylor acoustic/electric. Had an Ovation, similiar to a Celebrity with the crazy cutouts rather than the traditional hole in the center of the guitar. I cant remember the damn name for it (starts with an a). Someone told me Crate may be good for acoustic amp? Dont know as Ive never owned anything other than Marshall or Peavy.

Adamas....personally I hate round back acoustics

modeling amps are garbage in my opinion, but having said that there are no rules, if it sounds good to you it IS good.

I'm not very picky actually...I tend to sound like me no matter what I plug in to, so if it gets loud enough for me to hear and breaks up nice before it gets so loud it hurts I'm happy.

Guitarists who go on and on about tone are gear snobs, blowing smoke, or fooling themselves...most of it comes from the amp makers anyway to get you to believe one is better than the other(and relating to the original post...most pros use what they use because they get them FREE!!!, and are paid to appear in advertising and use certain brands...same for guitars, effects, etc...)

how you play is alot more important than what you use in my opinion

how you play is alot more important than what you use in my opinion

Agreed my friend (nice to see you!)!

99% pecent of it is in how you play the instrument. I remember an interview with Ted Nugent fron the late 70s. He was playing the California Jam (or was it Day on the Green?) with Van Halen. Eddie VH let Ted try out his rig and it was crap in his hands. He couldn't play it. And this coming from The Nuge, a feedback monster! :lol: Yet Eddie's "brown sound" modded Marshalls and Peaveys have been much desired. Personally, I can play through a Strat or a Paul, through a Fender or a Marshall, and I still sound like me. It's in the touch!

Just keep playin!! :beer:

Telecaster string spacing is closer than a Strat's, and Jimmy played one for years. In fact, he said the switch to the Les Paul was made because he needed more volume in the ever-larger venues they were playing. That's what he said anyway. Wider still is a Danelectro's string-spacing. Jimmy plays them all. That said, when I said it was mostly in the touch, that was assuming decent equipment. Naturally if the guitar or amp you're using is a piece of shit...That goes without saying. My point is that I can get my sound from both my Marshall and my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It still sounds like me. Point is, both the Marshall and the Vox are good amps, depending on which model you're talking about. I think the Valvestate and AVT series amps are crap IMO, while the DSL sounds killer.

I've only ever used Marshall. Started out with a Marshall 30watt amp with built in effects, great piece of kit. I have that in my bedroom as part of my bedroom rig.

But then I bought a Marshall head and cab...the MGHDFX100. Great sound. That is in the other room in the studio.

:)

I used to have a Vox amp, an old one from the 60's, when I was 13-14 yrs. old. It was a damn good one; not AC30, and can't remember exactly - but the speaker cabinet was separate, and it was pretty powerful. I sold it because it turned out to be completely impossible to get a band together.... About one and a half yrs punk/new wave finally came to Iceland - and you suddenly had 200 bands in Reykjavik. But using that amp now would be pointless anyway, because I only play for my own enjoyment. I got myself a small Marshall DSL and it sounds wonderful using a Strat. Here it is. B)

Magnarinn.jpg

this discussion reminds me of an episode of that tv show....Night Music, hosted by David Sandborn and Jools Holland. They were reading viewer mail and one letter had some kid crying about the fact that he sounded like shit because he could'nt afford decent equiptment. So....they came up w/ a full band budget of $200 and went to to Toys-R-Us of all places to go instrument shopping. They got a mickey mouse drum set, a plastic one octive horn, a casio one note at a time (less then 30 key) keyboard, and a little toy nylon string uke. They set back to the studio did 30 sec's worth of fine tuning...and BAM!!! F-ing Incredible!!!

getting back to the original topic.....when scouting an amp.....it's ALL about the clean channel!!! Just like when I am guitar shopping, I mainly want to hear it unplugged. (it's all about the wood)

Brand names don't mean squat, but with the lower line models, you might want to play lots of them before you choose one. (and that's not to say the brand names are'nt capable of producing a lemon from time to time as well.)

I have two blown Marshall JCM 200 TSL Heads. They are under parts warranty but not labor.

The last head set me back 1200 bucks and blew within a year.

I was quite disappointed in the quality but love the "Crunch" Channel.

Have reverted back to a Mesa Stilleto tubed with EL-34`s.

Archived