Don't toss your old TSRTS CD's! Save for NQ solo

RIP-IT-UP

While it's great to finally get a not-just "remastered" , but truely "remixed "version of TSRTS, one of Jimmy's "best-ever" solos, in No Quarter, -is CUT! It was, of course, always "cut" in the movie version-which was previously always a shame. But why now in the new CD version?

This solo has been discussed before, as an all-time classic Page live solo;inspired, perfectly constructed, and recorded brilliantly by Eddie Kramer. One of Page's greatest moments. (A lot of us had even hoped we might actually see "new" footage of Page actually playing the solo) . But apparently Jimmy , ala Shirley, has decided to clean-up things instead; notice the new "clean-up" edits evident even in the new mix of the "STH" guitar solo).

So don't throw-out the "old" versions some of us have been listening to for 31 years. :rolleyes: I guess we'll just have to spring $50 for the BOX version of TSRTS slated for 3/08... B)

While it's great to finally get a not-just "remastered" , but truely "remixed "version of TSRTS, one of Jimmy's "best-ever" solos, in No Quarter, -is CUT! It was, of course, always "cut" in the movie version-which was previously always a shame. But why now in the new CD version?

This solo has been discussed before, as an all-time classic Page live solo;inspired, perfectly constructed, and recorded brilliantly by Eddie Kramer. One of Page's greatest moments. (A lot of us had even hoped we might actually see "new" footage of Page actually playing the solo) . But apparently Jimmy , ala Shirley, has decided to clean-up things instead; notice the new "clean-up" edits evident even in the new mix of the "STH" guitar solo).

So don't throw-out the "old" versions some of us have been listening to for 31 years. :rolleyes: I guess we'll just have to spring $50 for the BOX version of TSRTS slated for 3/08... B)

Its not cut its just a different version. Ive had TSRTS(movie version) on cd(my own transfer) for years just for Since Ive Been Loving You and No Quarter. Ive always loved original TSRTS cd version of No Quarter as you state(great solo) But I also love the version from the movie because Page does this cool part in the solo with the wah-wah. So keep your original cds and also enjoy the other for what its worth. I wish they would just release all three nights of MSG(27,28,29th) they recorded and put on cd.

I'd never toss anything Zep.....but I also don't expect anything less from Page to cut and chop all the official releases, and then tell us what we are getting is from so and so...when it's really not. Fact is, he's targeting the masses that helped buy up the hundreds of millions of Zep albums sold, not the couple thousand uber fans that know the difference. Like he insisted on selling the rediculous notion that We're Gonna Groove from Coda was a soundcheck. :rolleyes: He did come clean on the Studio Sessions boxset.....finally.

I'd say get all the official releases...just for sonic quality.......and all the MSG 73 dates in their complete unedited form, just to hear what they actually played.

Damn shame about the NQ though. I agree, it's Page's finest stage moment ...solo wise.

I haven't picked up the CD set thus far, but I'm really disappointed to hear that particular song has been cut. When it comes to this sort of release, I'm not at all surprised that Page has, as someone else said, cut and chopped his way through it. I'd be surprised if he hadn't in fact. It would have been nice if he had tossed us a warts and all performance, but it's not to be. So instead, I'll just content myself with the actual dates themselves when I want completion and pop in the officially released bits w hen I want a bit more clarity so to speak. And just for the record...I never toss out anything Zeppelin. I may have it stolen, but I never ever toss it out.

Yeah, I was disappointed about No Quarter having Page's awesome solo edited, but also the Celebration Day solo is not the same.

Guess I'll just have to edit and burn a version with both the original TSRTS soundtrack and this new one.

Well, I consider the old TSRTS album and the new one to be two totally different albums. I like both of them, but for different reasons. The new one can't replace the old one, for me, it's simply an additional, new album of live Zepppelin :) .

NQ was butchered, just as the song starts to lead into Jimmy's solo. There's also a small cut in JPJ's solo right after the first verse. What a shame.

The original TSRTS version seems complete at least, though they used performances of all three nights at MSG to make one track. At least it doesn't sound chopped.

Archived