Aerosmith Thread

eagle87

I'm certainly not opposed to bands bringing in outside writers, for instance, the Grateful Dead did it for years with Robert Hunter and John Perry Barlow but it was never in the interest of engineering hit singles. In the case of Aerosmith, it is (or at least was). There for a while I thought there might be a small glimmer of hope that their new album (Music From Another Dimension, due in November) might actually be a return to the sound of early Aerosmith circa Toys In the Attic and Rocks. Maybe it will prove to be on a sonic level due to the presence of Jack Douglas but the news of them bringing in an outside writer doesn't bode well for the high hopes many have pinned on this album. I haven't purchased one of their records since Night in the Ruts in the late 70's so I'm not exactly one of those folks but all of this "return to form" stuff is starting to fall on deaf ears. That's not to say I won't give the album an honest shake as I most certainly will but having to rely on people who's job it is to formulate hits doesn't sit very well with me. As for the power ballads angle, they've done some good stuff in that department over the years with tunes like "You See Me Crying" and "Home Tonight" but in their latter years they turned in some real shit that cheapened the good songs such as "Cryin'", "Amazing" and the utter fucking dreck of "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing". Maybe they'll prove me wrong but so far they've failed pretty miserably on that front.

Aerosmith Balance 'Real Rockers' With Power Ballads On New LP, Says Songwriter

20120826-marti-306x-1346102870.jpg

Marti Frederiksen

Brandon Oustler

Edited by Jahfin

So out of all the Aerosmith threads started here, the one that gets bumped up is the one with the misspelled title? What is a Trhead? Is that short for Treehead?

Aerosmith used to be in my personal top 10...back around the time of "Toys in the Attic" and "Rocks". Yes, they were a little raggedy live, but that was part of the Toxic Twins charm. Those first 4 or 5 albums rule...basically everything up to "Draw the Line" and "Live Bootleg" is a must.

After that is the long slide to mediocrity and irrelevance: Joe Perry leaving the band, the horrid early-80s albums, the semi-rebirth with "Done With Mirrors"("My Fist Your Face" is an underrated gem) and the Run-DMC collaboration, rehab, the plastic surgery, the Glen Ballard power-ballad era, "Armageddon Day"...or was it "Pearl Harbor"?

Yawn, snooze. By the time Steve Tyler joined American Idol, who but the most naive fanboy gave a shit about Aerosmith anymore? Better to look towards Darkness for your rock and roll fix.

All I've got to see is those dreaded words "power ballads" in the headline above and I know not to get my hopes up that this is a return to the down n dirty nitty gritty Aerosmith that the hypesters have been promising. Sounds more like the adult-contempo rock-lite simulacrum they've been for the past 20+ years.

Nowadays, Aerosmith doesn't rate anything near a top 20 mention, let alone a top 10.

So out of all the Aerosmith threads started here, the one that gets bumped up is the one with the misspelled title? What is a Trhead? Is that short for Treehead?

You would have to take that up with "eagle87" as he's the one that started the thread. There's several other Aerosmith threads here but this is the oldest one. I also added to a Stevie Ray Vaughan thread yesterday in which someone misspelled his last name (same thing for one of the other SRV threads). If it bothers you that much perhaps you could contact Sam to have him correct the spelling.

Aerosmith used to be in my personal top 10...back around the time of "Toys in the Attic" and "Rocks". Yes, they were a little raggedy live, but that was part of the Toxic Twins charm. Those first 4 or 5 albums rule...basically everything up to "Draw the Line" and "Live Bootleg" is a must.

After that is the long slide to mediocrity and irrelevance: Joe Perry leaving the band, the horrid early-80s albums, the semi-rebirth with "Done With Mirrors"("My Fist Your Face" is an underrated gem) and the Run-DMC collaboration, rehab, the plastic surgery, the Glen Ballard power-ballad era, "Armageddon Day"...or was it "Pearl Harbor"?

Yawn, snooze. By the time Steve Tyler joined American Idol, who but the most naive fanboy gave a shit about Aerosmith anymore? Better to look towards Darkness for your rock and roll fix.

All I've got to see is those dreaded words "power ballads" in the headline above and I know not to get my hopes up that this is a return to the down n dirty nitty gritty Aerosmith that the hypesters have been promising. Sounds more like the adult-contempo rock-lite simulacrum they've been for the past 20+ years.

Nowadays, Aerosmith doesn't rate anything near a top 20 mention, let alone a top 10.

I pretty much agree with everything you have to say here. I've also heard at least a couple of songs from this record and while they're not bad, I'm not going to confuse them with anything from the first four Aerosmith albums. Some artists have been able to maintain a level of consistency throughout their careers and are still able to tap into the muse that connects to all of their work in one or another but Aerosmith doesn't seem to be one of them. They've said more than once that their next record was going to be a return to the sound of their early albums but, for whatever reason, they've never been able to achieve that goal. While some artists are able to do it, I just don't think Aerosmith is capable of going home again. I don't really fault Tyler for his work on American Idol as, from what I've read, he juggled that with the making of their new record. Hell, even Joe Perry, his biggest critic, came around and Aerosmith performed on the show. I never would have seen that coming in a million years. As for "power ballads", those words weren't even in existence back in the 70's, yet they could be applied to everything from "Stairway To Heaven" to "Dream On". They don't always have to be seen as dirty words. That didn't really start to happen until the Hair Metal era of the 80's. Back to the topic at hand, I've love to see Aerosmith pull a rabbit out of their hat at least one more time. It's been quite a few years now but the last time I saw them in concert (Woodstock '94) they still knew how to bring it. If only they were able to translate that energy from the stage to the studio without any interference from the outside such as bringing in hit making songwriters. Apparently that just isn't possible for them for some reason. I'm guessing it has everything to do with dollar signs.

Edited by Jahfin

• 3 months later...

Any record that came after Rocks sucks ass!

After listening to Get A Grip and Honking On Bobo for the first time in some years today, I must say I disagree.

I am also fed up with the large amount of shmoozy ballads that became hits in their later years, but I never really cared for hit singles only anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

:heartbreaker: Aerosmith are a great rock & roll band!. I`ve been into them from the album "toys in the attic" when they came to the UK. I`ve been to there lie shows too. they :yourock: . toxic twins rule. they dig YARDBIRDS / ZEPPELIN. SO PUMP THEMOUT OF YOUR :stereo:

BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN!

• 6 months later...

my order as arrived there new book Aerosmith the ultimate illustrated history of the Boston Bad Boys. only had time to flick through it, great photo`s from the early days to 2006.... I`ll let you now how its been well written or ?. good read I hope and :stereo: on blasting out AEROSMITH... :suntan::veryhot::peace:

• 1 month later...

I've liked them since Dream On charted in 1976. A good, tight band with a great front man. I attended one of their concerts when I was in college and they put on a good show. At the time, I found Steve Tyler's stage act fascinating. The way he slithered about the stage and sidled up to his bands mates. He practically wrapped himself around Joe Perry and Tom Hamilton at times during the concert. I remember being surprised that his doing that didn't get in the way of them playing their instruments.

Edited by Disco Duck

there world class rock `n` roll band... my personnel top choice albums are: rocks/toys/live boot/pump/wings... there are to many songs I`d have to list... member as to be Tyler/Perry, wow that's like Jagger/Richards Lennon/Mac Rose/Slash sadly the last two no more do ooh... sadly don`t come over to the UK enough... I remember them headline the than mosters of rock annul show, when Jimmy play TKAR... wow weeeeeeeeee!

there world class rock `n` roll band... my personnel top choice albums are: rocks/toys/live boot/pump/wings... there are to many songs I`d have to list... member as to be Tyler/Perry, wow that's like Jagger/Richards Lennon/Mac Rose/Slash sadly the last two no more do ooh... sadly don`t come over to the UK enough... I remember them headline the than mosters of rock annul show, when Jimmy play TKAR... wow weeeeeeeeee!

Speaking of Jimmy Page...from what I've read I gather that he and Aerosmith's Joe Perry are mates.

Speaking of Jimmy Page...from what I've read I gather that he and Aerosmith's Joe Perry are mates.

Which makes it interesting that JP called Steven Tyler in for an "audition" for the P,B, &J project. Joe and Steven did induct Zep into the R&R HoF back in '95.

• 2 weeks later...

In all honesty if I had to pick one album as my all time favourite I'll go with "Rocks". Now I like a lot of artists much more than Aerosmith but that lp just does it for me. I can't say I care much for their 80's 90's and later stuff though.