Pet Peeves

Hotplant

You know, I'm not a parent, and I have had experience in disciplining children. I do not think that hitting kids is the ONLY way to discipline them. I'm a teacher, for God's sake. I would never hit a student.

I am saying that in order to give a kid "head trauma," you would have to be hitting them pretty freakin' hard. I'm talking about children, not infants or toddlers.

Lay off it. You're blowing things waayyyy out of proportion. Del's a friend of mine. I'm sure that he doesn't walk around, smacking his son's head hard enough to cause head trauma.

I'm not talking about this anymore because this has gone too far. I may end up posting something I regret. <_<

And now women who are "sluts" are drug addicts and disease infected?

Come on! WTF? I suppose a woman who is a slut is a woman who has been with a few more men that you've decided is "okay," eh? what about men who are "sluts."

:rolleyes:

You know, I'm not a parent, and I have had experience in disciplining children. I do not think that hitting kids is the ONLY way to discipline them. I'm a teacher, for God's sake. I would never hit a student.

I am saying that in order to give a kid "head trauma," you would have to be hitting them pretty freakin' hard. I'm talking about children, not infants or toddlers.

Lay off it. You're blowing things waayyyy out of proportion. Del's a friend of mine. I'm sure that he doesn't walk around, smacking his son's head hard enough to cause head trauma.

I'm not talking about this anymore because this has gone too far. I may end up posting something I regret. <_<

And now women who are "sluts" are drug addicts and disease infected?

Come on! WTF? I suppose a woman who is a slut is a woman who has been with a few more men that you've decided is "okay," eh? what about men who are "sluts."

:rolleyes:

Men who are sluts are worse because they are big enough to beat on people. Your supposing what I am supposing. I never put any names or numbers on it. :rolleyes:

=

It wasnt aimed at you...who it is knows. They know themselves. Come one now, what was the world like before religion? Was a right mess eh? People need family values Manders, I am tired of people trying to rip apart solid, spiritual people because they believe money gives them that right. It is unjust and undignified.

Integrity is the key.

Think of it like this. Would you want your 13 year old sister or brother doing it, and theres way younger than that going on. I heard of a 10 year old getting pregnant a few years back. That child sure didnt learn that from watching sesame street. Your good people. You teach. That's good.

Del?

No I dont think you knock the kids blocks off, chuckles. It's the framework of the inner self and how that evolves and functions with society which is at at stake here.

Ummm it's good to discuss things, but dont try to think for people, you will be highly fooled and shadow boxing.

Shad :unsure: w

I really dont believe in hitting children. But like I said I was abused as a child and it goes on as an adult. From members of this list believe it or not. They feel it's proper to say horrid things to people who have suffered.

But spanking your children is not abuse. In my opinion it is your responsibility.

Spare the rod and spoil the child as the good book says.

Kids dont know so much really. If they need a time out or a good talking to its one thing. But you have no idea what this can do to a persons psyche. The child has not developed mentally and cannot grasp as complex of an idea that a grown up hates them for lets say spilling soup or fighting with siblings.

I have no problem with talking to children. But if you don't back that 'talking to' or 'time outs' with the possibility of a smack, then it really doesn't amount to much.

Not much I can do about what others do, but I think in the long run the Supreme Court even has issues with it.

Their hands are just tied.

Yeah, like we really need the Supreme Court stepping in and telling us how to raise our children. What's next, calling in the United Nations too?

Pet Peeve: People who suggest how to raise your children up right

But spanking your children is not abuse. In my opinion it is your responsibility.

I have no problem with talking to children. But if you don't back that 'talking to' or 'time outs' with the possibility of a smack, then it really doesn't amount to much.

Yeah, like we really need the Supreme Court stepping in and telling us how to raise our children. What's next, calling in the United Nations too?

See previous post. I made the comment because within the last week I saw a man just screaming at his wife and child and practically throwing the child in the car and just SCREAMING at him he better NOT MOVE OR HE WAS GONNA KICK THE SHIT OUT OF HIM. Now this was going on in the parking lot of a grocers. Several people actually gathered and were about to do some ass kicking themselves.

The second one I wont even bring up here.

It's not right. Abuse it not right no matter how you twist it, turn it, recycle it, or color it.

Where is the fine line is the question. Is the fine like chosen by the child? The "good book" has people turned into pillars of salt.

Dont point fingers at others for things you do. I dont spank children. Treat others the way you would like to be treated, show them kindness and respect. Theres a fine line I guess and many dont know where it is. I know I hated the time outs and being put in my room for days on end the worst. The beatings? Those never bothered me because I became so thick after years I didnt mind it. It just tends to escalate.

PS I think Manders is angry at me.....Manders,,,,,come on now. Depends on how hard you spank, thats all there is to that Del...

I'm not angry at you, and the example you posted about is definitely far BEYOND the fine line of discipline and abuse. The guy you described sounds like a freakin' psycho.

I was spanked and smacked as a child. I know I was spanked and I know I was smacked. I can tell you that I was not "beat" or hit so hard that it left a mark longer than a few minutes. I was only spanked or physically disciplined after my parents had tried everything else. I remember being sent to my room, being told to stand in the corner, being told to sit on the couch for ten minutes for a time-out while the rest of the kids played on the floor, I was grounded countless times, etc. I actually (very vividly) remember being taken out to the car because I was a brat in the grocery store. My dad had to take me out and he was PISSED becasue I was being a brat. I also remember how mad my mom was once she got to the car. That was punishment enough for me, but I believe my sister had to get spanked for behaving the same way before she learned what was acceptable to do in public. I got spanked very rarely. I believe I got spanked after I ran out onto the road after repeated warnings not to and my mother had to use her body to block oncoming cars from hitting me. I cannot remember other causes of this kind of discipline, but it was NOT often. I had to do something really, really, really bad and/or have done it multiple times to get that kind of treatment.

Like I said, I would only do that to MY OWN child as a last resort. Parents smack the hands of their small child if the child tries to touch a hot stove. This is one example of how to get a message across without harming the child.

If you physically discipline a child as your only discipline method, then perhaps you should stop and think about why this is. I don't think hitting anyone or anything should be condoned. I am 100% positive that Del is NOT beating his child. Period.

If your under the impression it would take the United Nations to have your children actually taken from you. I mean literally taken and you serving jail time.

Well!

Your very highly mistaken. It would only take a few complaints to the proper officials.

Glad you feel men have built up enough tolerance to allow women to have the same freedom of speech you enjoy. (I would add a smile but can't seem to figure out how).

It was a joke Heaven. You've heard of a joke haven't you?

I read what you described without any misunderstanding. Smacking anyone in the back of the head is potentially dangerous. I'm sure you can find plenty of literature to substantiate my claim.

Do you think the human skull is some kind of a glass ball? I already said the 'smack' is not hard enough to do any damage. It's really meant for effect more than anything.

And no, I never said smaking an infant or small child on the head. My son is 6'5" tall and weighs in at 210 lbs. He gets hit harder in the head just bumping his skull on the top of the door frame every day. We call him 'Frankenson' in my house. You really think a big bruiser like that is going to respond well to a 'time out'?

My parents didn't hit me or my siblings, and none of us have held up any stores or joined any gangs. In fact, we are all college educated and have good careers. I got into plenty of trouble as a teen, but I was never "hit" as part of my punishment. I managed to make it out okay (due to good parenting).

Well congatulations! But don't think that just because other people have a different approach that they are somehow less succesful. Seems like you look down at people who spank their children.

I am not the parent you speak of who lets their child run the show. A parent needs to be in charge. The way that is accomplished certainly varies. I just don't agree that physical punishment makes a difference. It's an easy way to feel you are in control. It's much harder to come up with more creative solutions to discipline.

Is that what you got learned up in college? That spanking a kid is a 'non-creative' approach to discipline? Let me tell you; my mother had at least three different wooden spoons depending the degree of punishment. One of them we used to call 'Big Bertha'. You want to talk about your "creative discipline?" And I'm not even getting into the yard stick, hair brush, belts, razor straps, shoes and that big stick that grandma used to use when she starched the laundry.

And thanks for the warm welcome, Del! (wink)

Your welcome! :D

Pet Peeve: "men" who don't take care of their children.

Pet Peeve: Men who raise their boys up to be a sissified pantywaist

:D

That story is so funny. Last week at Giant food market I saw something almost identical. A man was screaming at his daughter who he was dropping off for work. She was saying "why are you so mad at me". He was a really big guy and very threatening. He also drove one of those oversized pickup trucks, so you can imagine the ego. Anyway two kinda big guys walking into the store started to tell him "nice way to talk buddy" and the profanities between the three started flying. This went on for 5 minutes. I just stood by my car with my child until the guy in the truck sped off. It got heated and I was just waiting for someone to pull out a gun. Very scary.

That gets me you know!

"I'm YOU daddy and I am so BIG AND NASTY I can kick the shit right outta you, or yell and scream and warp you little mind all I wish to and because your under 18 and I feed you you cant do a damn thing about it. Screaming at the top of your lungs at a child or cursing them is no way to act in public even with adults it's not.

Psychologists arent wrong about these things, come on. Doesnt take a brain surgeon. I dont know Del...have nooooo idea. But people would laugh about the United Nations one... :hysterical::hysterical:

Shit nuke em..

Cruise missles launched at Dels home and SUV..new at 6

It was a joke Heaven. You've heard of a joke haven't you?

Do you think the human skull is some kind of a glass ball? I already said the 'smack' is not hard enough to do any damage. It's really meant for effect more than anything.

And no, I never said smaking an infant or small child on the head. My son is 6'5" tall and weighs in at 210 lbs. He gets hit harder in the head just bumping his skull on the top of the door frame every day. We call him 'Frankenson' in my house. You really think a big bruiser like that is going to respond well to a 'time out'?

Well congatulations! But don't think that just because other people have a different approach that they are somehow less succesful. Seems like you look down at people who spank their children.

Is that what you got learned up in college? That spanking a kid is a 'non-creative' approach to discipline? Let me tell you; my mother had at least three different wooden spoons depending the degree of punishment. One of them we used to call 'Big Bertha'. You want to talk about your "creative discipline?" And I'm not even getting into the yard stick, hair brush, belts, razor straps, shoes and that big stick that grandma used to use when she starched the laundry.

Your welcome! :D

Pet Peeve: Men who raise their boys up to be a sissified pantywaist

:D

I say turn the kids into a pillar of salt. That idea I think everyone can move on at this point. So everyone...charge up those fingers....

Crackle

Ooops neutron molecular restructuring newfangled gizmo was off. Del is now a french fry ooooops. :D

What the FUCK?!

He's not saying that verbally abusing a child is okay...Jesus.

I need to leave this thread because I think there are a bunch of morons in here that are taking things that are being posted and "interpreting them" in any shape or form they wish. Kind of like the "tour rumors" threads. :rolleyes:

What the FUCK?!

He's not saying that verbally abusing a child is okay...Jesus.

I need to leave this thread because I think there are a bunch of morons in here that are taking things that are being posted and "interpreting them" in any shape or form they wish. Kind of like the "tour rumors" threads. :rolleyes:

I agree...weird vibe right now.

I'm probably not helping it, and will retire,

Night Mandy. -_-

When I was a kid everyone smoked. My parents, all their friends, just about everyone. I think the times were just different back then, but it wasn't like it was an evil thing.

That doesn't mean the smoke was less noxious back then. People just didn't know or didn't care. I don't think anyone cared when I was a small kid either - even though it' not so long ago, times were different even then. My parents just never smoked at home, and their reasons why were the same as they are now. They're just considerate. I'm personally really glad that I've never had to inhale it.

I don't know how "hard" that smack is. If a grown man with a pretty large hand hits a 5 year old in the back of the head, it can be a significant blow. How often is this child being hit? Even a few times a week, i would expect some "head trauma" is quite possible. I'm saying what Del is condoning is abuse. I'm NOT saying he is abusing anyone, i don't know any more than what he posted himself.

If this sounds like fun to you, why not have your boyfriend smack you the way Del described and let me know if you still agree with this form of "redirection".

I haven't noticed boyfriends are here to educate you.

I KNOW you were joking, I was also being facetious. I'm like that, but it's hard to see true "feelings" on a message board.

I guess I am just an old fashioned kind of guy. Sort of like a cross between Ralph Kramden and Archie Bunker.

But I'm still quite loveable at times too.

Just ask Manders. She and I are meeting in Tahoe for drinks and hot tub fun next weekend.

It sort of takes the edge off of all this online fighting. B)

In college I got a Bachelors in Science and Nursing. We didn't spend much time on good parenting.

My mother was a nurse. When we were bad she would choke us with her stethoscope.

My child won't be raised as a sissifed pantywaiste. My child's father couldn't be bothered to be a parent to his child. He has more important life experiences to fulfill. Yes, watch out for the men sluts.

Well I am a good father to my son. My wife says so... and so does my mistress too.

:P

cheers!

each succeeding generation of teens and 20 somethings who think they have all the answers to the problems of the world, if only they could get rid of the "old" people in charge. :rolleyes:

Wow. This probably pertains to every generation in the history of civilization. Cheer up, guy, we're all going to die someday. :console:

My dad.

My dad is a pet peeve of mine.

This is for many, many reasons, one of which being that he seems to think that because he is the "adult" and has had the most life experience, this means that he has to know the answer to every question he is ever asked, or know whatever subject we are currently talking about inside-out.

Of course neither me or my brother see anything wrong with not knowing something. It's just human. However, my dad is far too proud to ever say "I don't know, actually".

Sometimes he does actually know things, but what he does when he doesn't know is make something up. You can tell when he's doing it, but I guess most of the time he just about gets away with it, because the person he's talking to doesn't know the answer either.

However, here is an hilarious example of one of these times it's gone completely tits-up for him:

Me: I watched The Pursuit of Happyness the other night.

Nick (my brother): Why is it that they spell "happiness" with a Y?

Dad: Well, that's the way they spell it in America.

Me: No, that's not the reason at all...

:oops:

Sorry I would probably mess up the nice quotes, so I have to pick apart the whole thing.

I KNOW you were joking, I was also being facetious. I'm like that, but it's hard to see true "feelings" on a message board.

It's not the skull thats harmed, it's the jogging of the brain (soft tissue) that causes a concussion. And I will say, for clarification, I am not accusing you of this. I never even met you, how would I know.

I was under the impression that we were talking about children, not your son today (who sounds like he should be the one punishing you!) JOKING.

You are correct, I do not approve of people hitting their children.

In college I got a Bachelors in Science and Nursing. We didn't spend much time on good parenting.

My child won't be raised as a sissifed pantywaiste. My child's father couldn't be bothered to be a parent to his child. He has more important life experiences to fulfill. Yes, watch out for the men sluts.

I'm with you. You sound half way rational, many of the rest have behavioral problems from being beaten as children. :rolleyes:

Del however may be exempt a bit on this one. Appears they may have created some little monsters :D

My dad.

My dad is a pet peeve of mine.

This is for many, many reasons, one of which being that he seems to think that because he is the "adult" and has had the most life experience, this means that he has to know the answer to every question he is ever asked, or know whatever subject we are currently talking about inside-out.

Of course neither me or my brother see anything wrong with not knowing something. It's just human. However, my dad is far too proud to ever say "I don't know, actually".

Sometimes he does actually know things, but what he does when he doesn't know is make something up. You can tell when he's doing it, but I guess most of the time he just about gets away with it, because the person he's talking to doesn't know the answer either.

However, here is an hilarious example of one of these times it's gone completely tits-up for him:

Me: I watched The Pursuit of Happyness the other night.

Nick (my brother): Why is it that they spell "happiness" with a Y?

Dad: Well, that's the way they spell it in America.

Me: No, that's not the reason at all...

:oops:

Oh,

The know it alls. They really get me. The kind of person who gets out a thesaurus so they can impress someone with big confusing dogma and I do mean dogma. Big words do not impress anyone or acting like your intelligent. If someone is smart you will know it without it being shoved down your throat and made feel badly. A smart person is loving and will share and teach. No one person thinks or learns on the same level. You have to think like they think.

Hmmmm?

Complicated speech?

What if you dont know something? How would you like it presented to you. I know people who will not learn because others have made them feel dumb and stupid all their lives, so it's come to be it's how they were conditioned, carries right on into adulthood.

I think down to earth any longer. Some of these complicated freaks are just that.

FREAKY.

Archived