The Cars

MHD

Maybe a bit light for this forums taste, but any other fans? I have been re-visiting Candy-0 today whilst motoring around...personally, I think it's their best but also love the debut through to Heartbeat City. They never reached the dizzy heights of great success in the UK. I'd like to ask our American buddies...were they huge in their native country?

Oh yeah; I really liked them back in the day. I agree Candy O was the best. It was definitely a very new sound when it hit; I think they put out an album a year while I was in high school. I saw them live once; I think it was Richmond VA for the Panorama tour. I'm afraid it was not one of my favorite concerts; they sounded good, but they just kind of stood there and played. They didn't interact with the audience at all, and as I recall, the songs sounded exactly like they did on the albums. :blink:

Maybe a bit light for this forums taste, but any other fans?

Just because I'm a Zeppelin fan it doesn't mean heavier music is the only kind I like. Not to mention, at least one third of their catalog is acoustic. That said, I was never the biggest fan of the Cars but I don't hate them either. Back when they first came out a lot of the edgier type bands coming out of the New Wave scene didn't stand a chance on commercial radio but the Cars did. At the time their sound was very refreshing and very different from the norm. Unfortunately Classic Rock Radio has played their songs into the ground, causing many folks to never give them a fair chance. Despite the fact they released several albums, Classic Rock Radio pretty much only sticks to the first two.

Just because I'm a Zeppelin fan it doesn't mean heavier music is the only kind I like. Not to mention, at least one third of their catalog is acoustic. That said, I was never the biggest fan of the Cars but I don't hate them either. Back when they first came out a lot of the edgier type bands coming out of the New Wave scene didn't stand a chance on commercial radio but the Cars did. At the time their sound was very refreshing and very different from the norm. Unfortunately Classic Rock Radio has played their songs into the ground, causing many folks to never give them a fair chance. Despite the fact they released several albums, Classic Rock Radio pretty much only sticks to the first two.

Good comment. Even though Mutt Lange gave them a more beefy, boppy sound, Heartbeat City still has some great tracks. I love Magic.

I ALWAYS liked the Cars. I thought they were innovative, deceptively simple and catchy as hell. Very tasty and tight. A bit of a bore live, but incredible radio fare.

My fave artist has posted a demo of let The Good Times Roll. I think it captured the spirit of the track using very different instrumentation.

Give it a listen:

http://www.myspace.com/thornicus

My thoughts posted up on another board:

"The Cars cover, to me is a like style guide.

Y'know when Pixar makes a movie, like the Incredibles, they hire a bunch of artists to just hash out the style/color pallet/shapes etc to determine the look and feel the movie. So everyone is on the same page. LTGTR seems to be like this. Ian can firm up his intent to the band and the producer this way.

Although it's really tasty, It's rough in spots and is in need of a really good mix. Hence demo. The solos seem like place holders to be replaced/amped up in the end. They are too understated. I've witnessed many tightly soaring Ian solos and this song needs a stunner.

The vocal treatment/performance is "loose passionate". The gind-style guitars churning underneath really propel this track and I love the rhythmic turnaround on the front end. The experimentation with vocal harmonies continues. He's his own best backing vocalist. As I've said, it's gonna MAKE his new sound.

I have mentioned before that Ian really needs a good "classic" producer. The original Cars track was produced by Roy Thomas Baker. Exactly who I suggested should helm his new CD. Eliot Easton, the Cars guitarist, was a Berkley School attendee. AND the Cars was a Boston band, of course Ian was still in diapers when this was recorded. The degrees of separation are becoming less and less. I think that Ian is on to my theory. HehHeh. Enter Nick Raskulinecz.

Nick Raskulinecz is a student of more classic rock flavors and has helped Dave Grohl to fashion some real gems. I DO believe that we fans are gonna be in for a treat. A more modern sound combined with a classic feel puts Ian in the pocket of where he is most comfortable production wise. His compositions need an engineering/producing hand that understands them and does not try to pigeon-hole them into some sort of moving target marketing."

Later

I've always had pleasant memories of The Cars. My dad won a CD player back in 1986, and one of the very first discs that my parents got was the Greatest Hits collection that I think came out in '85. That gave a good sample of things from the beginning to that time, and I've filled in a few more songs along the way. It's hard to dissociate "Moving in Stereo" from Phoebe Cates, but I do very much enjoy that track solely for its aural merits as well.

• 10 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
19 hours ago, Celystial said:

I love the Cars. I think my favorites are 'My Best Friend's Girl' and 'Let's Go' so far but they have a lot of great songs.

Yeah they do have a lot of unforgettable songs that I like! Welcome Celystial! :welcome2: