Grateful Dead

Styrbjorn

My town has started an annual Jerry Garcia birthday tribute show, free at the central gazebo next weekend. Cover band called "Stagger Lee", who I have also been catching frequently at local restaurants. Will be taking my family to see "Half Step" (Mississippi Uptown, Toodle-Loo) in two weeks for my own birthday.

For fans of Jerry Garcia's acoustic side, it sounds like David Grisman has plans to release more stuff from the vaults, including some previously unreleased Old and In the Way concerts. I also never knew they had recorded a studio album, according to this new interview with Relix it appears that Grisman has no plans to release it.

The Thrill Lives On: David Grisman Reflects On Jerry Garcia

GARCIA-GRISMAN%203-300x.jpg

For fans of Jerry Garcia's acoustic side, it sounds like David Grisman has plans to release more stuff from the vaults, including some previously unreleased Old and In the Way concerts. I also never knew they had recorded a studio album, according to this new interview with Relix it appears that Grisman has no plans to release it.

The Thrill Lives On: David Grisman Reflects On Jerry Garcia

GARCIA-GRISMAN%203-300x.jpg

I listen to, and play for guests, the original "Old and In the Way" very often. Moonlight Midnight, Hobo Song, Wild Horses, Kissimmee Kid, Trail of the Navajo are all exceptional, with about the best bluegrass jamming I've ever heard. I looked into the other two related releases - I believe called "High and Lonesome" and "Breakdown", but they seemed to contain basically the same material? I'd be thrilled to get a hold of something containing a few different songs.

There is some overlap but I don't think it's enough to discourage someone from owning all three sets. Considering they were only together for a few months, I'm guessing there's going to be a good bit of repeat material anyway. This site has all of their setlists as well as some photos and posters from all of the concerts they did back in '73. I just discovered it myself so I haven't had time to see how many different songs there were altogether.

Old and In the Way helped serve as my introduction to bluegrass back in the early to mid-70's. I was already a Flatt & Scruggs fan from hearing their music as part of the Bonnie & Clyde soundtrack as well as seeing them appear on programs such as The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction but something about Old and In the Way really got my attention. Maybe because at that point I was already a Grateful Dead fan and I was really into a lot of the "Cosmic" Country music of the time such as the Flying Burrito Brothers, Commander Cody as well as Waylon, Willie, etc. Old and In the Way, along with New Grass Revival, are often credited with creating "jam grass". That may be so as there is plenty of jamming going on but I don't think it's necessarily of the noodling variety that's so often associated with jam bands. Another album I credit with really getting me into bluegrass is Live! From Austin City Limits by the Earl Scruggs Revue. It remained unreleased on CD until just a few years ago when it was finally put out by Wounded Bird Records. It was also a breath of fresh air and apparently served as a point of contention with a lot of bluegrass purists at the time because it included drums and electric instruments. If you've never heard it and you like Old and In the Way, I highly recommend checking it out.

I tried that Jerry site you provided, Jahfin - but there's so many dates and I don't know which Grisman would be releasing? Don't see any setlists, anyway. I'm sure you'll keep us informed... I noticed Merl Saunder's name in many of those 1973 dates - I had "inherited" some bootleg albums with him and Jerry a long time ago from an an acquaintance that I believe went to looney house and never returned. Forgot about them until recently, but found them to be more wavey than a Pringles potato chip when I dug them out to play. That's a real shame.

Will check out the Earl Scruggs revue, I have no doubt it's something I'd enjoy!

Search for "Old and In the Way" on the Jerry site and it'll give you all of the dates they played including venues, setlists, photos, etc. As for what Grisman has in the vault, I really have no idea either but I welcome whatever he plans to release. For years I had no idea that there was even anything beyond the first album that had been recorded so anything after that is gravy.

I have one of the Merl Saunders albums on vinyl (Live at Keystone) but over the years I believe there's been several more of the recordings he did with Garcia released.

...and I'm sure you've heard the news announced today of the Spring 1990 box set. I saw them that summer when they played Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh with Bruce Hornsby and the Range opening. I believe it was something like less than two weeks later that Brent Mydland died.

My good friend just gave me the "Without a Net" CD, which was Mydland's last recorded work with them, by coincidence. Especially love Bob Weir's bizarre interpretation of "Walking Blues", I believe a Muddy Waters song that my favorites - Hot Tuna - does also.

Can't find much about Scruggs in Austin City Limits on You Tube - was this a PBS show? It somehow rings a bell... Did see some footage of Vasser Clements, which was delightful. Did that guy play the ultimate fiddle, or what?

Vassar was great and played on tons of records. I know I have at least one (possibly more) Buffett record he played on back in the 70's. He definitely made the rounds.

I seriously doubt you're going to find any video from the Earl Scruggs Revue performance from Austin City Limits on YouTube. The particular episode they appeared on was well before the advent of VCR's. That's not to say someone isn't sitting on the footage somewhere but most likely it's in the ACL vaults. I do wish they would release it on DVD but there may be some sort of legal ramifications preventing them from doing so. I'm pretty sure it took a letter writing campaign on the part of Earl Scruggs fans just to get Live! From Austin City Limits released on CD so there's no telling if a DVD of their performance will ever see the light of day. To answer your question, it is a PBS show and it still airs every Saturday night in most markets.

I did just find this clip on YouTube which is video of someone playing "Earl's Breakdown" from Live! From Austin City Limits on vinyl. You might find some other Earl Scruggs Revue music on YouTube but I'm not sure what else might be out there (if anything) from this particular record.

Edited by Jahfin

• 3 weeks later...

Had lots of family meet today, at a local seafood place that has shows on the dock. "Half Step" was the band, and I just had to get up for two of the medleys: Me and My Uncle / Walkin' Blues / Cumberland Blues, and China Cat / Goin' Down the Road. What a hoot!!!

• 2 months later...

Two sites every Deadhead or inquiring Deadheads should know about.

1) http://archive.org/b...Dead&field=year Pick a year and they have almost every live show as well as studio rehearsals if they were in the studio that particular year.

2) Youtube channel Voodoonola2 He has a lot of shows on video. Bootleg video with soundboard audio.

Led Zeppelin and The Grateful Dead, my two favourite bands. I love how both bands did acoustic sets mixed in with electric (The Dead had their periods mixing in the acoustic.) Jerry and Jimmy rule!

Edited by Bingo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Grateful Dead is featured in the May edition of Rolling Stone Magazine the articles chronicle the Dead from the very beginning its a great Special Collectors edition to pick up...

rsgdead.jpg20130404-grateful-dead-1970-600x-136509721fb9ebed66c0f58dcd81e97103647e6e2d0e115

Edited by ZEPFAN17

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

pagemeister, many thanks for sharing the youtube. com vid. very cool its also the first time I`ve heard the Avett Brothers they sound very intense, interesting I`ll be checking them out shortly. so :friends::bravo::peace: chat to you more soon.

• 1 year later...