Coverdale/Page

Cat

Read a strange thing by that A&R bloke, John Kalodner, who claims that Jimmy's playing on the Coverdale Page lp 'was kind of half-hearted' and that Jimmy 'did not invest much time in it'!

Ok, Kalodner was there and I wasn't, but that's not the impression I ever got - there's probably more guitars on CP than both Firm albums and Outrider combined!

He also said that Jimmy approached him in Argentina in 1994 and told him that Robert not only 'didn't like' the collaboration between Jimmy and Coverdale, he was actually 'offended' by it!

Kalodner says that Robert 'felt that David Coverdale was second rate' and blamed Kalodner for putting them together.

Such was the extent of Robert's nark, that Kalodner 'had to write an apology letter to him'!

Blimey...

The chemistry between, Danny, Jimmy, and David is there for all to hear on that ONE album. Had the partnership grown to a 2nd album it most likely would have turned out amazing, but it was never meant to be. Clearly not having a proper tour to back the album aborted that partnership - too many fingers in the pie

I think it's great that Jimmy gets such unconditional support regardless of the situation. I myself stand in a huge abandoned field trying

to convince other fans that Jimmy will come back with a new album and tour. I am actually amazed how many think this is a good to

great album. But I'm sure that there is a cult following for Mick Jagger solo albums as well. However I have some of the Jap shows

and I must admit that Page and Coverdale sounded great, so the live chemistry was there.

Kalodner said that 'by not having Robert Plant with him, he (Jimmy) was just not that inspired'.

Again, I'm just not getting the same things from CP that Kaldoner's getting!

Apart from Northwinds, CP is actually the only thing I've got of Coverdale's since Deep Purple.

Admittedly, that's down to Jimmy being on it.

I saw Whitesnake in 1979 and 1980 and at the time I thought it was pretty good - but two weeks after the second gig, I heard Free for the first time and realised what Coverdale was channelling! That was the end of that.

Far from being 'not that inspired', however, Jimmy quite clearly enjoyed himself in CP and appears to have genuinely liked Coverdale himself. Like Charles said, there was chemistry there and a further collaboration would've been interesting.

Edited by Brigante

• 4 months later...

Read a strange thing by that A&R bloke, John Kalodner, who claims that Jimmy's playing on the Coverdale Page lp 'was kind of half-hearted' and that Jimmy 'did not invest much time in it'!

Ok, Kalodner was there and I wasn't, but that's not the impression I ever got - there's probably more guitars on CP than both Firm albums and Outrider combined!

He also said that Jimmy approached him in Argentina in 1994 and told him that Robert not only 'didn't like' the collaboration between Jimmy and Coverdale, he was actually 'offended' by it!

Kalodner says that Robert 'felt that David Coverdale was second rate' and blamed Kalodner for putting them together.

Such was the extent of Robert's nark, that Kalodner 'had to write an apology letter to him'!

Blimey...

That sounds so weird!

Robert's taken shots at other musicians though he seems to have toned it down. I don't know about the merits of his mordant jabs in other situations, but C/P always struck me as a substitute collaboration (though I liked some songs, in idea if not always in execution - loathe that tinny Ovation sound and the cheesy lyrics), primed to goad Robert, who does it better. Coverdale's front man ways were awfully familiar. But as with all things related to Zep - it was done right the first time. 

Edited by Patrycja

Kalodner said that 'by not having Robert Plant with him, he (Jimmy) was just not that inspired'.

Again, I'm just not getting the same things from CP that Kaldoner's getting!

Apart from Northwinds, CP is actually the only thing I've got of Coverdale's since Deep Purple.

Admittedly, that's down to Jimmy being on it.

I saw Whitesnake in 1979 and 1980 and at the time I thought it was pretty good - but two weeks after the second gig, I heard Free for the first time and realised what Coverdale was channelling! That was the end of that.

Far from being 'not that inspired', however, Jimmy quite clearly enjoyed himself in CP and appears to have genuinely liked Coverdale himself. Like Charles said, there was chemistry there and a further collaboration would've been interesting.

I don't think the Coverdale/Page album was a disaster by any means.  As other posters pointed out, Page did some of his best post-Zep playing on that album and they did have decent chemistry.  However, I do think it was a missed opportunity.  Like most British rockers of their generation, Page and Coverdale both know their blues.  An album of blues covers, properly credited would have been a great project for them.  One song I think Coverdale could have done justice to in his prime is A Change Is Gonna Come.  True, it's more of a soul anthem than a blues song, but it's got that potent mixture of anguish and hope.  Then again, I've always thought Coverdale could have been a good blue-eyed soul singer.

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2015 at 4:06 AM, thozil said:

Some reading material...

CP_Article_VictoriaAdvocate_May23_93.jpg

C/P's first informal meetings to discuss a possible collaboration were actually held during a three-day-stay at the Ritz Carlton in Manhattan in March 1991. On the first day they went for a walk together and when they returned they had already agreed to proceed for two weeks. On the second day further discussions were held. On the third day they left their mutual representatives to sit and go over the details.

They reconvened a few weeks later at David's home near Lake Tahoe to record two-track demos on that Radio Shack recorder. Absolution Blues was written the first day. Feeling Hot was written the second day, and they considered it to be a great opener for live shows (though it never appeared as such on the setlists in December 1993). I could go on, but you get the point.

Edited by SteveAJones

4 hours ago, zepscoda said:

I looked back to 2013 in this thread and didn't see this posted. It's pretty cool.

Yes, that was interesting, indeed. Thanks for posting. And, if I had a dollar for every time that Coverdale said, "In essence", and "In no way shape or form", I'd be able to skip work tomorrow. His pomposity is unequalled. 

Edited by The Dark Lord

On 2/5/2016 at 0:15 PM, The Dark Lord said:

Yes, that was interesting, indeed. Thanks for posting. And, if I had a dollar for every time that Coverdale said, "In essence", and "In no way shape or form", I'd be able to skip work tomorrow. His pomposity is unequalled. 

Agreed. You can see why Plant thinks he's a pretentious tosser.

On February 3, 2016 at 5:23 AM, Flares said:

Unfortunately Page's best post-Zep playing was saddled with cheesy lyrics, overblown production and a cardboard cut-out frontman.

I think Page realized if he were to go on stage with Coverdale and the whole Whitesnake shadow looming overhead, he would have to bring his A game live. When you have fans showing up who are used to players like Vandenberg & Vai, your ass better not be sloppy...you HAVE to be the guitar god everyone thinks you are. In the latter years of Zep Page could rest on his laurels in regard to live playing, but after the Atlantic 40th debacle plus the other musicians on stage, if he would have shit it up it would really have been bad. 

These Japan shows indeed have Page playing at his best since 73'.

Just now, IpMan said:

I think Page realized if he were to go on stage with Coverdale and the whole Whitesnake shadow looming overhead, he would have to bring his A game live. When you have fans showing up who are used to players like Vandenberg & Vai, your ass better not be sloppy...you HAVE to be the guitar god everyone thinks you are. In the latter years of Zep Page could rest on his laurels in regard to live playing, but after the Atlantic 40th debacle plus the other musicians on stage, if he would have shit it up it would really have been bad. 

Yet another reason, it's a pity the Coverdale/Page collaboration didn't continue. 

23 hours ago, IpMan said:

Jimmy Page made a decision to play well so he could impress fans of Adrian Vandenberg , Steve Vai and Whitesnake? Probably not.

More comic relief?

Amazing how little credit and respect we can muster for JP here.