Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Cat

Coverdale/Page

542 posts in this topic

Page really found his muse again on this one. The guitar army was well and truly back.

In terms of just guitar playing, CP and DW 2 are my post-Zep faves.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed this interview with Denny Carmassi (drummer for the Coverdale/Page project) http://www.anti-m.com/montrose/tenq_denny.htm

JW: Is there any project or projects you have worked on that you wish more people knew about?

DC: I guess it would have to be the Coverdale Page project. It was such a fun record to make with such a great group players. I guess some people know about it though, I have a platinum record hanging up on my wall. It's a shame that band never got to tour the United States, only a tour of Japan. We did some sessions in Miami that someday may see the light of day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sixpense said:

We did some sessions in Miami that someday may see the light of day. 

Interesting. Cheers for that. Hopefully they will see the light of day.

I thought the band was really good and would like to hear some rehearsal stuff stripped of all the Wagner production.

Demand for a reissue must be quite low though, and we've just passed the 25 anniversary of its release...

I imagine Page, not EMI/Geffen, would own the stuff recorded at the Miami session?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Interesting. Cheers for that. Hopefully they will see the light of day.

I thought the band was really good and would like to hear some rehearsal stuff stripped of all the Wagner production.

I ALWAYS wondered why the hell Page didn't produce this himself?  He would have given it such a heavy bottom sound, it could have been total killer.  With Wagner, it's just lightly killer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really is a powerful album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2017 at 0:24 AM, Boleskinner said:

Interesting. Cheers for that. Hopefully they will see the light of day.

I thought the band was really good and would like to hear some rehearsal stuff stripped of all the Wagner production.

Demand for a reissue must be quite low though, and we've just passed the 25 anniversary of its release...

I imagine Page, not EMI/Geffen, would own the stuff recorded at the Miami session?

Good question. I though that Coverdale/ Page was Jimmy's best post Zeppelin work to date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coverdale was in a band whose name was a sad and awful pseudonym for a caucasian penis. They also had an album called 'Slide It In'.

Coverdale is not fit to lick the shit off Plant's boots in any way. Never will. Ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, morningson said:

Coverdale was in a band whose name was a sad and awful pseudonym for a caucasian penis. They also had an album called 'Slide It In'.

Coverdale is not fit to lick the shit off Plant's boots in any way. Never will. Ever. 

But tell us what you really think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, morningson said:

Coverdale was in a band whose name was a sad and awful pseudonym for a caucasian penis. They also had an album called 'Slide It In'.

Coverdale is not fit to lick the shit off Plant's boots in any way. Never will. Ever. 

I agree that Coverdale is an absolute tosser.

He's a caricature of a rock star; whereas Plant was an archetype.

But you can't deny that Coverdale got the best playing out of Page in years, and in the early '90s Coverdale's voice was a lot stronger than Plant's.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

I agree that Coverdale is an absolute tosser.

He's a caricature of a rock star; whereas Plant was an archetype.

But you can't deny that Coverdale got the best playing out of Page in years, and in the early '90s Coverdale's voice was a lot stronger than Plant's.

 

I thought Page played well with The Black Crowes. I am just not having Coverdale at all. Plant's voice - as we all know - was shot in around 1972 due to no vocal warm ups, illness, bad care, no voice coaching (which probably didn't even exist then), but in his prime (1968-72) there was nobody since or before who sang like him. And his influence on every rock and roll singer since is immense. Even Daltrey changed the way he looked to keep up with Plant. The fact is, there is no other band like Zeppelin because the four members were individually and collectively the very, very best. 

Anyway, I think Page teamed up with Coverdale to provoke Plant into working with him again. And it worked, didn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 31, 2017 at 4:05 PM, morningson said:

Coverdale was in a band whose name was a sad and awful pseudonym for a caucasian penis. They also had an album called 'Slide It In'.

Coverdale is not fit to lick the shit off Plant's boots in any way. Never will. Ever. 

But Coverdale is still very respectful to Jimmy, and he managed to inspire him like no other has managed to do since the Zep days. All that said, yah, he's still a tosser. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:25 AM, sixpense said:

Noticed this interview with Denny Carmassi (drummer for the Coverdale/Page project) http://www.anti-m.com/montrose/tenq_denny.htm

JW: Is there any project or projects you have worked on that you wish more people knew about?

DC: I guess it would have to be the Coverdale Page project. It was such a fun record to make with such a great group players. I guess some people know about it though, I have a platinum record hanging up on my wall. It's a shame that band never got to tour the United States, only a tour of Japan. We did some sessions in Miami that someday may see the light of day. 

He reattempted the solo for Don't Leave Me This Way during the Miami sessions but found the effort did not top the original. It's possible that the track Saccharine was completed during these sessions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2017 at 11:06 PM, Boleskinner said:

I agree that Coverdale is an absolute tosser.

He's a caricature of a rock star; whereas Plant was an archetype.

But you can't deny that Coverdale got the best playing out of Page in years, and in the early '90s Coverdale's voice was a lot stronger than Plant's.

 

The deal with Coverdale is that he is one of those guys that really, REALLY wants to be liked by the fans. He is known to treat fellow musicians he employs in Whitesnake like absolute shit, abusive and does not pay them at times. Regarding the public though, forget it. He is that guy at the party that tries to be everything to everyone to make them happy. I saw Whitesnake in the late 80's and Coverdale was embarrasing, thought the crowd ate it up. Mr. Fuck yeah!!!, eat pussy this, blah, blah, blah between every song. Just petty shock value shit. However one cannot deny he has a great set of pipes and was in fine voice throughout the 90's. Tosser or not, the man can sing. If he would just quit talking like a frat boy in between songs he cred would go up considerably.

Edited by IpMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blackmore once said 'I try not to say anything about David - he says it all about himself whenever he speaks'!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, IpMan said:

The deal with Coverdale is that he is one of those guys that really, REALLY wants to be liked by the fans. He is known to treat fellow musicians he employs in Whitesnake like absolute shit, abusive and does not pay them at times. Regarding the public though, forget it. He is that guy at the party that tries to be everything to everyone to make them happy. I saw Whitesnake in the late 80's and Coverdale was embarrasing, thought the crowd ate it up. Mr. Fuck yeah!!!, eat pussy this, blah, blah, blah between every song. Just petty shock value shit. However one cannot deny he has a great set of pipes and was in fine voice throughout the 90's. Tosser or not, the man can sing. If he would just quit talking like a frat boy in between songs he cred would go up considerably.

He's a complete knob. On the BBC broadcast of Whitesnake at Donnigton (when Steve Vai was in the band for five minutes) he kept goading the crowd to shout fuck at every opportunity because the BBC doesn't sensor swear words, just because swearing is tolerated does not mean that it should be encouraged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jasonlovesvids said:

I wish Page and Coverdale would play together again.

Me too. But Coverdale is a idiot as a person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JTM said:

He's a complete knob. On the BBC broadcast of Whitesnake at Donnigton (when Steve Vai was in the band for five minutes) he kept goading the crowd to shout fuck at every opportunity because the BBC doesn't sensor swear words, just because swearing is tolerated does not mean that it should be encouraged.

I remember that. I listened as a teenager. Even at that age, it seemed immature to me at the time. Nob 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2017 at 8:00 PM, sixpense said:

Good question. I though that Coverdale/ Page was Jimmy's best post Zeppelin work to date.

This guy is right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Whitesnake frontman David Coverdale has confirmed to Sweden Rock Magazine that there are plans to reissue several of the band's classic albums, with a host of bonus material.

Asked if he is painstakingly curating his historic work in the same way that his former collaborator Jimmy Page has done with the Led Zeppelin reissues, Coverdale said: "I'm not going that far. The saddest thing for me, and my dear, dear, dear beloved friend Jimmy Page, I think one of the reasons he's explored the Zeppelin catalog so significantly is because he can't get the guys to commit to making a new record or touring. Zeppelin's his baby, as Whitesnake is mine, but I'm very happy to say I have a fabulous fresh chapter of Whitenake. I'm still a recording entity and I'm still a touring entity. The last two years have literally been the most successful we've had forever. It's been fabulous. Next year, God willing, won't be any different. This year, we're gonna be all studio, write a new album and have new product for next year."

 

He continued: "But can you see the comparison, whereas Jimmy doesn't have that - he doesn't have an opportunity. I've recommended to him for years to do what Carlos Santana did with "Supernatural". Jimmy's got all these great songs. I said, 'I'm there for you. I'll do a couple of songs for you, without a doubt.' I said, 'Do something like 'Supernatural'. At least you're playing.' It breaks my heart, 'cause he's such a fucking valuable musician. With what he's already given to us, he doesn't really owe us anything, but I just know that he's still valid and relevant and can still play amazing guitar and write amazing songs. Where do you go after fucking Led Zeppelin, dude? Where do you go?"

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/whitesnake-frontman-says-digging-up-bonus-material-for-upcoming-reissues-is-like-being-a-musical-archaeologist/

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, luvlz2 said:

"But can you see the comparison, whereas Jimmy doesn't have that - he doesn't have an opportunity.

Agree with Coverdale's sentiment apart from the above.

Opportunity is not the issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

He continued: "But can you see the comparison, whereas Jimmy doesn't have that - he doesn't have ambition.

FTFY, David Coverdale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/10/2016 at 8:07 AM, SuperStatic said:

I still maintain  Coverdale/Page is the "best" overall effort put forth by any one of the three ex-members of Led Zeppelin. Just IMO.

Zooma is brilliant. If you want to see JPJ stretching out & throwing every musical idea into the mix, that album has it. Great drumming from Pete Thomas as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 76229 said:

Zooma is brilliant. If you want to see JPJ stretching out & throwing every musical idea into the mix, that album has it. Great drumming from Pete Thomas as well

Yes, Zooma is a brilliant album, never gets old. You can put it on today and 16 year olds will dig it along with us middle aged people. So, not only a great album, but a very accessible one as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now