Coverdale/Page

Cat

On 3/13/2018 at 11:24 PM, reids said:

Heres the interview from earlier today.

At 13:00 DC talks about John & Jason Bonham. At 27:30 He discusses JP (from my requested call).

R😎

For those that missed it, here’s the original content with direct times of interview. It’s always good to hear word that DC & JP both are interested in revisiting CP at some point as well as their record label seeing the value of a remix/remaster with bonus content for the fans. Most of it as we know is on Youtube. 

R😎

21 hours ago, jmorton said:

Here is a direct link to the Coverdale Page discussion between DC and Trunk

It's been amazing to me how Jimmy and Coverdale have remained friends after all this time all things considered.

What things?

Plant? I think Jimmy is old enough to have his own friends

• 10 months later...

Interesting tid bit from Coverdale regarding one of the songs on the upcoming Whitesnake album

"The riff-heavy Flesh & Blood includes one track, "Gonna Be Alright," built from a riff written for what was supposed to be a second Coverdale-Page album with Jimmy Page that never transpired. "It's been sitting gathering dust for 20-odd years 'til destiny proved (Hoekstra) was the one to finish it off for me," Coverdale notes."

I would love to hear the 4-5 unreleased tracks and see a documentary made up of the extensive video footage shot by David Coverdale.  This is by far my favorite post-Led Zeppelin Jimmy Page project and that includes the two albums that he did with Robert Plant.  This album gets revisited often at my house.  Day one purchase.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

David Coverdale discusses Jimmy Page and Coverdale/Page during an interview in Los Angeles on April 15th 2019.

See 14:25 below.

I think this album could do with a remix and I'd love to see a boxed set because their writing sessions were fully documented by Coverdale on video. Also the 4-5 leftover songs and the ideas for the follow up would make a pretty wonderful boxed set methinks.

On 2/8/2008 at 4:19 PM, Cat said:

Coverdale/PageEntertainment Weekly April 2, 1993

FEW REASONS to consider buying the first collaboration by ex-Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page and ex-Whitesnake singer David Coverdale:

(1) You've worn out the CD grooves on your Zeppelin boxed set, so you'll settle for Page and Robert Plant manque Coverdale's attempt to re-create the monolithic Led Zep sound. As they used to say on TV--not the real thing, but an incredible simulation!

Actually it is very different from LZ. It is Blues based hard rock, but then the similarities end. Coverdale has a much greater range and Jimmy shows he's still got the touch. 

(2) As Zep simulations go, it is pretty incredible, if pointless. Page and Coverdale have written a batch of new songs that try very, very hard to echo Zep anthems like "Whole Lotta Love" and "Kashmir," and Coverdale tosses off Plantlike groans and moans even more than he did in Whitesnake, that other Zep tribute band.

Yeah, I bought this album in 93 and listen to it as much as any LZ album. Please list where Whole Lotta Love and Kashmir are ripped off. Feeling Hot is a bit of a rework of R&R, but any 12 barre in that timing would be. It is also MUCH heavier than any LZ album. More crunch than Jimmy ever used with Zep and Zeppelin were known for Ballads, Not Anthems. That was Queen.

(3) You relish the idea of hearing grizzled rock stud Coverdale pursing his lips around lyrics like "'Scuse me if my tongue gets tired/An' I will make some sweet love to you." You'll also love it if you like hearing women referred to as "babe," "child," and "mama."

What's your point? Women use the same exact euphemisms for men. Insecure much? or just lacking in a loved one to share your euphemisms with...

Chick, Hottie, Shorty, Trim, Talent, Piece (and more vulgar terms I have omitted); These are the euphemisms that are derogatory and demeaning.

(4) You want to show support for poor Jimmy Page, who's reduced to grave-robbing his own past to earn a living.

Reduced ?!?! I guess you also throw shade on Chuck Berry, John Fogerty, Muddy Waters, Bo Didley, etc, just because they didn't bother to write new stuff that sucks for the sake of it knowing full well it's their performances of their original creations that bring audiences to their shows as well as pay for the new stuff. Regardless of the fact that the new stuff will dissolve into the ether, never to be heard again a mere month or two after it's release.  It's sad that others throw shade, I believe it keeps him from playing as much as he'd like to. But he seems to take the negativity to heart and doesn't need the money so he abstains. Definitely our loss. 

But lets not forget; The footprints in music that all these names have in common are so big they can never be filled. Why, when you love something so much, must you change for changes sake? 

(5) You hate Robert Plant so much for not partaking in a full-time Zep reunion that you'll do anything to spite him--even buy this album.

The only point I agree with. It does bother Plant and he said as much at the time of release. Unfortunately David was born with blonde hair and is singing for as long as Plant has been. He just didn't get famous first and Plant does write better lyrics. David's are great, but Plant took it to a level he himself has not seen since he's been a solo act. Makes you wonder how inspirational Page is for him, if not assisting directly. But David was born with the voice he has, just like the kid in GVF. You cannot sound like somebody you don't sound like naturally. Not singing anyway. You have a range and a frequency you are born with and you can strengthen it, but you cannot change your frequency.

(6) For the oh-so-enigmatic cover art, which kind of, almost, sort of brings to mind the covers of Zep albums like Presence. But only kind of.

Again, strectching pretty far here, as you yourself admit.

I have addressed every comment in red. By not actually posting a comment yourself and silence being affirmation, it is clear you agree with this tripe. So I say "you" in my responses.

Edited by CherrySunburstWorshiper

6 hours ago, CherrySunburstWorshiper said:

I have addressed every comment in red. By not actually posting a comment yourself and silence being affirmation, it is clear you agree with this tripe. So I say "you" in my responses.

Cat often used to share articles written by others. She seldom if ever commented on them. 

• 2 months later...

2008 UMG Fire includes Coverdale Page masters as gone, too, so we may never get a deluxe box set unless the source masters were transferred to digital and/or in Coverdale or Page’s private vaults. 

R😎

14 minutes ago, jsj said:

I don't know what Coverdale has had done to his face but he's looking pretty strange these days

Maybe some plastic surgery. His voice is about gone, if you listen to recent live footage on YouTube. 

Hopefully, CP masters were transferred to digital. 

R😎

Edited by reids

my wife saw Whitesnake just last week at a festival. she's not a fan (she took her little brother )but before she went she did check out some older stuff of theirs so she'd know what to expect and although she didn't like their material she did say his voice was good. when she came home from the gig she said his voice hadn't stood up well and sounded pretty shot

11 hours ago, jsj said:

my wife saw Whitesnake just last week at a festival. she's not a fan (she took her little brother )but before she went she did check out some older stuff of theirs so she'd know what to expect and although she didn't like their material she did say his voice was good. when she came home from the gig she said his voice hadn't stood up well and sounded pretty shot

Yep. I’ve been seeing and hearing the same thing as they are doing 45 to 80 minute (abbreviated sets). . He just needs to take a break from touring, rest his voice for a good year or so, so it’s not completely shot like Paul Stanley’s (KISS) and work on remastering / compiling the CP outtakes, video footage for dvd, blu-ray, etc, but today we now have confirmation of CP masters burned in 2008 fire. How tragic. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/magazine/universal-music-fire-bands-list-umg.amp.html

R😎  

Edited by reids

On 6/26/2019 at 4:50 AM, reids said:

2008 UMG Fire includes Coverdale Page masters as gone, too, so we may never get a deluxe box set unless the source masters were transferred to digital and/or in Coverdale or Page’s private vaults. 

R😎

Bummer.

27 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

Bummer.

Yep. I learned the masters most likely were digitized, so there’s still hope in a CP deluxe release. Also, DC & JP are known to keep a lot of their own source tapes.

R😎