Coverdale/Page

Cat

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

He may have a brand new "mixtape" on the horizon, but in being granted a rare interview with David Coverdale, there is clearly much to discuss. Celebrating almost five decades as a professional recording artist, the head 'Snake has worked with some of the finest musicians of a generation; from Ritchie Blackmore to Jimmy Page; Steve Vai to John Sykes. In Part One of our EXCLUSIVE chat, we talk about his journey with those great players, the new 'Love Songs' collection, his expansive plans to remix and reissue Whitesnake's later works, and his pride and joy in Coverdale Page. Good to be bad; Eamon O'Neill. https://www.eonmusic.co.uk/david-coverdale-whitesnake-eonmusic-interview-october-2020-part-1.html

Edited by luvlz2

• 3 months later...

Glad you posted this, Reids....saw this the other day and was hoping it would come to fruition. We'll see but this would be a perfect opportunity for JP to finally follow through (I know) on something worthwhile...Hell, just give me an official release of Saccharin in a guitar crunch mix or whatever....I'd be all in just for that. What a riff....Pure Pagey!

13 hours ago, Giveroffire said:

Glad you posted this, Reids....saw this the other day and was hoping it would come to fruition. We'll see but this would be a perfect opportunity for JP to finally follow through (I know) on something worthwhile...Hell, just give me an official release of Saccharin in a guitar crunch mix or whatever....I'd be all in just for that. What a riff....Pure Pagey!

We’ll see what gets accepted by both for the reissue (w/ bonus tracks). Coverdale looks to be doing the work for this with JP to be signing off on the project once tracks are picked, remixed, etc. 

R😎

Thanks for the clarification, Reids...hoping for a good deal more than what I already have with the Collectors CD single box set I picked up quite awhile ago...3 versions of "Take Me for a Little While" and the guitar crunch mix of "Shake My Tree". So my mantra going forward on this will be "Saccharin" and beyond.....

4 hours ago, Giveroffire said:

Thanks for the clarification, Reids...hoping for a good deal more than what I already have with the Collectors CD single box set I picked up quite awhile ago...3 versions of "Take Me for a Little While" and the guitar crunch mix of "Shake My Tree". So my mantra going forward on this will be "Saccharin" and beyond.....

You’re welcome. My guess is “Saccharine”, a few blues outtakes,   Demos recorded at DC’s place w/ JP in Tahoe and maybe a couple of live tracks or another unreleased (3 or 4 more total). 

R😎

Edited by reids

1 hour ago, Giveroffire said:

There's something else I forgot about.....the possibility of live stuff. I have the C/P Osaka live boot and it's good, Pagey is in fine form.

Yep. Maybe some tracks from Osaka will show up on the CP reissue as bonus tracks.

R😎

7 hours ago, mrlowry said:

I remember reading somewhere Coverdale said that Page's manager at the time refused to allow any official recording of the Coverdale/Page tour of Japan.  

Last we heard, Jimmy doesn’t currently have a Manager (like Curbishly) , so it may be easier to get some live tracks added at this time. 
We’ll see.

R😎

Per Eddie Trunk’s interview w/ David Coverdale this afternoon on Sirius XM channel 106 Volume, DC & JP own the rights to the CP album, so they can legally put out a new version of the album. According to DC, it will probably be a 3 or 4 disc release: with their own remixes (a DC version of the original album, a JP version, the original version along with 4 unreleased tracks as well as two or three “new” songs). We’ll see what these songs end up being and when JP contributed to playing on them.

R😎

Edited by reids

Great to hear....too many details to shrug off for the naysayers. I appreciate your diligence, reids. This is probably my favorite post Zep project this side of TCV....to me it marked the return of the Riffmeister(Absolution Blues, baby!) and there's no doubt it got Plant's attention....C/P blows away the snoozefest on "Clarksdale"......How's that for trying to stir up the haters, or the so called ZEP purists, or the David Coverversion acolytes who refuse to admit that it was Coverdale who pulled this out of Pagey....and I don't even like Whitesnake.

You’re welcome.  It will be interesting to see more details. My guess is this will be released later this year or this time next year.  Hopefully, we’ll get the two of them together for interviews, press conference, etc as the record is re-released with unreleased and “new” Tracks. 

R😎

On 2/17/2021 at 7:44 PM, reids said:

Last we heard, Jimmy doesn’t currently have a Manager (like Curbishly) , so it may be easier to get some live tracks added at this time. 
We’ll see.

R😎

The point that I was making is that it is my understanding that there were no multi-track recordings made of the Japanese tour made because Jimmy's then manager didn't allow it.  If that is correct then there are no multi-track tapes in existence  from which to pull live recordings to include on any future set.  Maybe some soundboard tapes were made but that obviously wouldn't be the same quality level.  

21 minutes ago, mrlowry said:

The point that I was making is that it is my understanding that there were no multi-track recordings made of the Japanese tour made because Jimmy's then manager didn't allow it.  If that is correct then there are no multi-track tapes in existence  from which to pull live recordings to include on any future set.  Maybe some soundboard tapes were made but that obviously wouldn't be the same quality level.  

Agreed. Exactly. However, there is technology today (software) to isolate different frequencies, as listed on other forum threads (ie: Bootlegs / Matrix recordings) where older recordings have been “enhanced”. At this time given DC’s interview yesterday, there was no mention of live recordings being added, so the point of “live” recordings may be moot. 

R😎

• 7 months later...

I know there's a a number of fans here who look at the C/P album and the audience bootlegs from the Japanese tour and say, "My God! This is so much better than the Page & Plant era. Jimmy should've just stuck with David, done another album, and then they would've been able to do a proper world tour."

I wonder what would've happened if, when Robert had called Jimmy about the MTV Unplugged performance, Jimmy had responded with, "Thanks but no thanks, Robert. I've got my own thing with David and I'm sticking with it, we're gonna do another album soon. Besides, you want to be your own man, I'm giving you what you always wanted?"

6 minutes ago, Toxic34 said:

I know there's a a number of fans here who look at the C/P album and the audience bootlegs from the Japanese tour and say, "My God! This is so much better than the Page & Plant era. Jimmy should've just stuck with David, done another album, and then they would've been able to do a proper world tour."

I wonder what would've happened if, when Robert had called Jimmy about the MTV Unplugged performance, Jimmy had responded with, "Thanks but no thanks, Robert. I've got my own thing with David and I'm sticking with it, we're gonna do another album soon. Besides, you want to be your own man, I'm giving you what you always wanted?"

Problem was, the music that CP did together was completely dead on arrival for most as that era had passed and grunge was king. This is why they only did the Japanese tour as ticket sales in the states were almost nothing. Believe me, I agree that the CP stuff was better new music than anything PP did, unfortunately there was little market for that music. On the other hand PP timing to do the Unledded thing was spot on and they sure did ride that wave.

In essence both Page & Plant were floundering with their respective projects at the time and their getting back together made the most sense from a financial perspective. Hate to sound so cold and business orientated but it was what it was. Though on the positive side the tours were just spectacular and Jimmy was playing at his peak, especially in 98'. Plus, though Coverdale is a great singer the guy is just annoying as hell live. Saw Whitesnake in 87' and whenever Coverdale opened his mouth between songs all I could do was cringe. The guy acts like an 11 year old on crack with his moronic between song banter.

I was looking at the Martin Power biography of Jimmy, and he specifically singled out "Feeling Hot" as the worst song on the album, calling it "the worst excesses of cock rock (though the two practically invented it)," and the lyrics "puerile", specifically with the strutting chorus, going "Jimmy was 49 and David was 43. They certainly weren't boys anymore."

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 1:35 AM, BobDobbs said:

Problem was, the music that CP did together was completely dead on arrival for most as that era had passed and grunge was king. This is why they only did the Japanese tour as ticket sales in the states were almost nothing.

Pretty much. They tried three times to launch a US tour but there was no interest. The Japanese tour was put together as a concession to them as they really wanted to perform the material live. Even so, they knew before the tour began (or at least Jimmy did) that it was a last hurrah for the collaboration and nothing would follow. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://blabbermouth.net/news/david-coverdale-on-proposed-coverdale-page-30th-anniversary-reissue-look-for-something-special-in-2023/

DAVID COVERDALE On Proposed COVERDALE PAGE 30th-Anniversary Reissue:
'Look For Something Special' In 2023

David Coverdale has offered an update on the proposed 30th-anniversary re-release of his collaboration with Jimmy Page. The well-received COVERDALE PAGE set was recorded in several studios on both sides of the Atlantic over the winter of 1991-92 before it was finally released in March 1993.

Coverdale discussed a possible reissue of COVERDALE PAGE's eponymously titled LP in a new interview with 107.7 The Bone's "Lamont & Tonelli". He said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "I was very excited. Jimmy and I worked very well creatively, as you can hear, and we had another four or five songs which were unmixed. And I said, 'Jimmy, I've got all these other ideas. Let's just do a COVERDALE PAGE '2' or let's make a double album.' And sadly, his manager at the time talked him out of it, which was infuriating. However, some of those songs that I had to present to Jimmy are on [David Coverdale & WHITESNAKE's 1997] 'Restless Heart' record — two of 'em. It was 'Take Me Back Again' and 'Woman Trouble Blues'. Those were originally ideas for Jimmy and I, had we made a second album. But in 2023, it's the 30th anniversary, so look for something special. It's gonna be a lot of fun."

Coverdale previously spoke about his collaboration with Page during a February 2021 appearance on SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation With Eddie Trunk". At the time, he said that he and Jimmy were planning a "very big, luxurious, complete box set [for] the [LP's] 30th anniversary in 2023."

As for what extra material might surface on the expanded "Coverdale Page" set, the WHITESNAKE singer said: "We've got four unreleased tracks, which just need to be mixed. But since we reconnected, I've been messing around, writing at home. And I have two ideas which could make really fun tracks — just to throw at him and 'see what you can do with this.' The way we did it before — we wrote really very potent music together.

"The other thing that I recommended to him was, 'Let's remaster the original, but I'd love you, in England, with a mixer of your choice, to do the Jimmy Page mix of the album, and I'll do the David Coverdale mix as bonus stuff,'" he continued. "And I think that'd be great. He trusts me, I trust him, and I think it would be great for the fans to get Jimmy's take on it, 'cause we did everything 50/50 on the project. It was an amazing three years together. I loved it. So, yeah, that's definitely in the pipeline."

Upon its release, "Coverdale Page" sold strongly, peaking at No. 4 on the U.K. album chart and No. 5 in the U.S. The album eventually went platinum in the U.S., despite the fact that the project as a whole was marred by the "LED ZEPPELIN clone" tag, including from ZEPPELIN frontman Robert Plant, who openly expressed his disdain for Coverdale, referring to him as "David Cover-version." Coverdale was equally vitriolic in his response, saying about the LED ZEPPELIN singer, "There's certainly no love lost between myself and Robert… I wouldn't send him cat food if he was starving."

Coverdale later apologized to Plant, saying in a 2013 interview with TeamRock Radio's "Classic Rock Magazine Show": "I hold [Plant] in the highest esteem as a human being, and as an artist, and I really would like to, you know, sit down, buy him a drink, shake hands and say: 'I'm really sorry," you know, "Can we be friends again?' I don't hold any animosity, just disappointment in myself that I took the bait and ran with some ugly things. Because it's not appropriate for somebody I respect so much."