Coverdale/Page

Cat

no doubt this is the long and the short of it all

diluted the music as well- wasteful

...both sacrificed artistic control to keep the record label's support, money and influence behind them. Meanwhile, management could not get on ... it's doubtful that tour would have happened at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Coverdale/Page drummer Denny Carmassi was asked 10 Questions by John Wardlaw in a brief interview. Below is the last question, and the link to read the others if you like.

http://www.anti-m.com/montrose/tenq_denny.htm

JW. Is there any project or projects you have worked on that you wish more people knew about?

DC. I guess it would have to be the Coverdale Page project. It was such a fun record to make with such a great group players. I guess some people know about it though, I have a platinum record hanging up on my wall. It's a shame that band never got to tour the United States, only a tour of Japan. We did some sessions in Miami that someday may see the light of day.

Coverdale/Page drummer Denny Carmassi was asked 10 Questions by John Wardlaw in a brief interview. Below is the last question, and the link to read the others if you like.

http://www.anti-m.co.../tenq_denny.htm

JW. Is there any project or projects you have worked on that you wish more people knew about?

DC. I guess it would have to be the Coverdale Page project. It was such a fun record to make with such a great group players. I guess some people know about it though, I have a platinum record hanging up on my wall. It's a shame that band never got to tour the United States, only a tour of Japan. We did some sessions in Miami that someday may see the light of day.

Huh, that's interesting. Thanks for posting this!

And I have to agree with the drummer. It was a great album and I wish there had been more of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to return to my series that I've unofficially been calling "Jimmy Page Through The Years," or "The Forgotten Years." I do still need to purchase at least one more album, and then I'll have all of the source material. I think in the end, I'm going to need to purchase two.

Continuing with my idea of revisiting much of the work that Jimmy Page has done between Led Zeppelin and "Celebration Day," we arrive at Coverdale and Page. I've never been much of a Whitesnake fan and I've always felt that there have been some similarities between David Coverdale and Robert Plant. I'm not going to say that he was ripping off Mr. Plant, but I think the similarities are too large to ignore. In fact there was a song that I heard over and over on rock radio that I thought was a Zeppelin tune, but it turned out to be a Whitesnake song.

We all know whom Jimmy Page is. I really think he is the most valuable rocker of all time: writer, producer, arranger, musician. Before I gush too much, let's dig into this record, again with eyes unclouded.

>>>CLICK FOR MORE<<<

Good review Battra IMO. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Overall, I think Coverdal/Page is the most "Zeppelinesque" work done by any of the three guys post 1980.

Its a one off gem that still hold up well even after almost two decades later.

Thank you.I think it's a far better album than Page and Plant.

Celebration Day has worked me into a tizzy.

I knew that watching/listening to the concert would rekindle some fires that were long since extinguished. I even decided to get all the Led Zeppelin studio CDs, instead of my four disc boxed set.

I need it all.

As with most bands, my favorite member is the lead guitarist. Jimmy Page is just a phenomenal player, writer, and studio hand, but thinking back to his post Zeppelin work left me somewhat unfulfilled. Plant's stuff has gotten all kinds of attention, and the fact that he's been far busier and harder working is not lost on me.

So, I decided I was going to set the way-back machine to Jimmy Page. I'm going to take a look back at four, at least, of his post Zeppelin efforts. I will not be entertaining "No Quarter," "Live At the Greek," or anything else I'm unaware of that's primarily Led Zeppelin revisited. I want to see what the man has written since the day Zeppelin announced they were breaking up.

>>>CLICK FOR MORE<<<

Of course....

CELEBRATION DAY

Do you remember when you first started owning music? I do. In the span of four days I got my first two records. The first was "Live Evil" by Dio fronted Black Sabbath, but the second was "Led Zeppelin III." I wore that cassette out. That began my fandom of the greatest band in the history of the world, Led Zeppelin, not that Black Sabbath was shabby!

I've always had a spot for 70's classic rock really. I could talk about that for the next ten years, but that's not what today is about.

Today is about Led Zeppelin and I just finished watching the blu-ray of "Celebration Day." Page and the boys took a page from the Doors and didn't include what should have been the title track on the release, but I'm not going to judge.

I can remember 2007. Out of nowhere, it was announced that Led Zeppelin, with Jason Bonham on drums, would be reuniting for one night only. Over 20 million people put in for a lottery to get tickets to the show. I always said that I'd give up a kidney to see them play and this is coming from a person who saw Page and Plant and that was awesome, but sadly it was one of the many near Led Zeppelin moments. I remember watching the internets for weeks in the hopes of a tour that never came. Being in St. Louis, I didn't get to see or hear anything. I do realize now that I could've just popped onto YouTube and probably seen bits.

>>>CLICK FOR MORE<<<

Coverdale and Paget could've been something more than just a footnote in the history of Jimmy Page.

Next up in my Jimmy Page "The Forgotten Years" series is The Firm.

Edited by battra

• 2 weeks later...

Would love to see and hear those sessions. It really was a project that should have moved forward. I feel that unledded was a mistake for Jimmy - I didn't enjoy seeing Page standing around while some huge band is busy playing for 10 minutes before one can hear the guitar.

I'll admit to preferring the Deep Purple and early Whitesnake Coverdale to late 1980s Coverdale. However, even in 1989, you only had to hear him sing "Soldier of Fortune" to know that he was more than just a hair metal shriek puppet. In his day the man had a powerful, resonant baritone and could sing with authority in the lower part of his range. That's harder to do than most people realize. Page's songwriting forte with Zep was powerful riffs and sonic structures. It would have been interesting to see if he and Coverdale could have created more melodic songs had they continued working together.

Hi Chicago, for me its not about trying to be modern, its about quality. I found the grunge and Britpop to be outstanding as a whole. I found hair/commercial metal/rock to be tired at that point. I can appreciate the effort it takes to put out an album, but to my ears, it sounded ridiculous, regardless of effort (with a couple of exceptions I have mentioned). I think if it was produced by Butch Vig (Nirvana),or Steve Albini (Pixies), it would have sounded a lot heavier, and much better...

JP was born in 1944. Coverdale was born in 1951. Given their ages, I wouldn't have expected either of them to experiment with grunge production techniques. Have any of their peers (i.e. Eric Clapton, Paul Rodgers, etc.)? Grunge, like punk before it, was primarily a young people's movement.

Jimmy is going on 70 and is not going to reunite with with a guy the vast majority of people identify as a Plant clone. Yes, he did once, and only Gof knows why. Personally I believe it was to irk Plant and it worked. Good timing as Plants had to be career was tanking as well. Additionally, Cover-boy and Page sold less than 3,000 tickets to a nearly 17,000 arena (Miami)....i'm sure Page realized at that point the public wanted nothing but the real deal! I remember seeing Plant in Seattle in 93' at the Paramount Theatre (capacity around 3500 at the time) and there were around 500+ empty seats. Page and Plant needed each other badly back in the 90's! Unlike Plant and Jones, Page will not go on a full scale tour playing small halls; certainly no reason to now.

Edited by Mudslider

Jimmy is going on 70 and is not going to reunite with with a guy the vast majority of people identify as a Plant clone. Yes, he did once, and only Gof knows why. Personally I believe it was to irk Plant and it worked. Good timing as Plants had to be career was tanking as well. Additionally, Cover-boy and Page sold less than 3,000 tickets to a nearly 17,000 arena (Miami)....i'm sure Page realized at that point the public wanted nothing but the real deal! I remember seeing Plant in Seattle in 93' at the Paramount Theatre (capacity around 3500 at the time) and there were around 500+ empty seats. Page and Plant needed each other badly back in the 90's! Unlike Plant and Jones, Page will not go on a full scale tour playing small halls; certainly no reason to now.

Obviously you are a Coverdale hater, as they say 'Can't see the forest for the trees', No the vast majority of people dont identify him as a Plant clone, Disco Ducks comments about Coverdales voice were spot on pretty much, yes it was a bit cheesy for him in the late 80's (he dyed his hair, so what) but he ROCKED, he Rocked with Deep Purple and from Early Whitesnake to this day, he has one of the best voices in music, Page knew that, and Coverdale has allot of fans all over the world, Since Zeppelin left us has there been a record that really rocks as hard as the C/P record by any of the remaning members ? No, Coverdale has been around almost as long as Plant and both were great, Deal with it. Edited by lynxwizard

I'll admit to preferring the Deep Purple and early Whitesnake Coverdale to late 1980s Coverdale. However, even in 1989, you only had to hear him sing "Soldier of Fortune" to know that he was more than just a hair metal shriek puppet. In his day the man had a powerful, resonant baritone and could sing with authority in the lower part of his range. That's harder to do than most people realize. Page's songwriting forte with Zep was powerful riffs and sonic structures. It would have been interesting to see if he and Coverdale could have created more melodic songs had they continued working together.

Why do you say 'I'll admit' ? sounds like you are ashamed to say you like Coverdale, Maybe its because this is a Zep Site. Dont be, Coverdale had a great voice and dont be afraid to say it, I love Plant also but here some think the sun shines out of his bum.

Why do you say 'I'll admit' ? sounds like you are ashamed to say you like Coverdale, Maybe its because this is a Zep Site. Dont be, Coverdale had a great voice and dont be afraid to say it, I love Plant also but here some think the sun shines out of his bum.

Because many music fans didn't become aware of Coverdale until Whitesnake's "Slip of the Tongue" album. That's the David Coverdale they know and love. I first become aware of him when Deep Purple performed at the California Jam back in 1974. I prefer the brown-haired, blues rock Coverdale to the bleached blond, hair metal Coverdale. That's all I meant.

Because many music fans didn't become aware of Coverdale until Whitesnake's "Slip of the Tongue" album. That's the David Coverdale they know and love. I first become aware of him when Deep Purple performed at the California Jam back in 1974. I prefer the brown-haired, blues rock Coverdale to the bleached blond, hair metal Coverdale. That's all I meant.

I see what you mean, but I think that applies to people in the US pretty much, Early Whitesnake were very popular in europe.

• 1 month later...

Good review Battra IMO. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Overall, I think Coverdal/Page is the most "Zeppelinesque" work done by any of the three guys post 1980.

Its a one off gem that still hold up well even after almost two decades later.

Plant had plenty of guitar on his post 1990 solo albums including tracks like Tie Dye on the Highway & Calling to You , Yet he dragged Page away from Coverdale/Page to Page & Plant where the only real Zeppelinesque riff of new material off their two albums was Yallah ,

I must say i was sceptical about this union until i heard Pride and Joy on a cd sampler given away in Q magazine before the album was released. It seriously rocked! Got the album first day of release and played it to death. When the riff kicks in at the start of Waiting for You - whoah! Coverdale definitely brought out the best in Page. Shame it did'nt last more than one album and a mini tour of Japan but grunge was at it's peak and i guess it was the right release at the wrong time.

I must say i was sceptical about this union until i heard Pride and Joy on a cd sampler given away in Q magazine before the album was released. It seriously rocked! Got the album first day of release and played it to death. When the riff kicks in at the start of Waiting for You - whoah! Coverdale definitely brought out the best in Page. Shame it did'nt last more than one album and a mini tour of Japan but grunge was at it's peak and i guess it was the right release at the wrong time.

Would love to see and hear those sessions. It really was a project that should have moved forward. I feel that unledded was a mistake for Jimmy - I didn't enjoy seeing Page standing around while some huge band is busy playing for 10 minutes before one can hear the guitar.

When I first read Charles J. White's post, I thought, "Is he serious!?! Everyone had been waiting for Plant and Page to work together again since Zeppelin ended!" However, after chewing it over for two months, I think Charles is right. Unledded may have been a boost to Plant's career at the time but it didn't really do anything for Page's. OTOH, Coverdale/Page was a move forward for Page. He co-wrote new material with him; did some of his best post-Zep playing, etc.

LedZebedee maybe right about the timing being the main reason the album and tour didn't sell well. Grunge was "the thing" in rock music at the time. I also don't know if Coverdale could have afforded to keep working with Page given that the Coverdale/Page album and tour didn't sell well. The irony is that by 1996 Coverdale had gone back to his natural brown hair color (no more Robert Plant look-alike) and was doing concerts with acoustic versions of Deep Purple and Whitesnake songs.